HS200 Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS200 Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS200 Local only
HS200 Local only
2022-03-19 12:14:45
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I've seen some threads but don't have a clear answer.  Overnight 4 of my 10 smart switches are showing "local only" and cannot be controlled via Alexa. 

I disabled and re-enabled the Kasa skill, no luck. 

any ideas?  This is beyond frustrating and makes no sense why some would work and others not. 

Options
9 Reply
Re:HS200 Local only
2022-03-19 14:14:20

@Cstroud A good first step is to restart (power cycle) your router and any access points.  Then restart the switches (the little restart button is at the bottom right).

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-03-19 16:11:34

@MikeP 

thanks. Any idea why some would be affected and others not?  It makes no sense to me. 

Options
2022-03-19 17:17:19

@Cstroud I'm not sure why it works (and it doesn't always), sometimes it's that the router is leaking resources/connections and needs an occasional restart when it misbehaves.  It might also be that the DNS entry gets messed up either in the router DHCP service or what it's told the devices when they last connected.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2022-03-19 18:40:42 - last edited 2022-03-19 18:46:25

@Cstroud Mine was exactly the same last night - again 4 of my devices experienced exact same issue, similar to a few weeks ago (different 4 this time) - they control from the App, just not from Alexa 

https://community.tp-link.com/us/smart-home/forum/topic/538510

And I refuse to believe two separate individuals had the same issue in the same timeframe with their WiFi. And the WiFi is a non-issue, since there is local control between the App and the devices. 

And other users have also reported same issue besides the OP and me. So this is clearly NOT a wifi issue and a Cloud issue 

TPLink Tech Support guys - can you look into this

Edit - make that 5 devices last night. 

Options
2022-03-19 19:00:35
Update: Similar to what happened last time: Had 5 devices in Alexa showing 'device unresponsive' and the same devices in the Kasa App showing 'local only'; I used same method I had previously to re-establish - delete device from the App and add it back in - I did these one a a time and exactly like the last time, after deleting/reconnecting TWO of the devices, suddenly all three of the remaining 5 came back under cloud control also.
Options
2022-03-19 22:00:41

@DEcosse 

I got all but one back online by deleting and re adding them. My didn't magically appear but they did work. My last one won't even work in the Kasa app. I

may be replacing that switch. 

thanks all 

Options
2022-03-20 14:31:20

@Cstroud I had same problem pushed the reset bottom on the bottom right and it cleared the local only and fixed the problem

Options
2022-03-21 01:26:11 - last edited 2022-03-21 01:36:30

@Cstroud @DEcosse 

' local only'  kasa device could mean kasa failed to get cloud service through ISP or router , and that could be related to the Wi-Fi network environment 

May I know does this happen after router reboot or power outage? Or it becomes ' local only' itself? 

• Reboot kasa device when device becomes local only
  • Change router's DNS to 8.8.8.8/ 8.8.4.4
  • Check router firewall log/ settings, and see if any tplink domain or related request has been blocked by router. 
  • Make sure smart device is connected to router directly, not through other AP or Range extenders
  • Make sure kasa firmware  Kasa APP version are both up to date 
  • Check if there is any Advanced settings on router like access control/ parental control/ Mac Filtering /Band sterrting/ IP optimization settings may affect the smart device

If still the same , may I know  what is the model of Wi-Fi router and network topology, like ISP XX _- router archer C7 <wireless>HS200

Does kasa connect to router directly or through an extender or mesh system? 

Can you share the Mac address of smart device which has the problem to us via private message?Thank you. 

Options
2022-03-22 20:25:26 - last edited 2022-03-22 20:26:37

@Solla-topee 

all of those questions are fine, but it makes no sense that 4 of my 10+ HS200 switches flipped to local only overnight. If it was a router or MAC address issue, it should have impacted all. They're all on the same network, same router. No power outage, no router reboot (although I rebooted the router after this occurred with no success). 

Options