KS230Kit v2 3-Way Dimmer Updated Version

KS230Kit v2 3-Way Dimmer Updated Version

40 Reply
Re:KS230Kit v2 3-Way Dimmer Updated Version
2023-03-13 20:44:11

@dafish,

As far as we are aware, the KS230 will not work in a 4 way circuit. Officially, we only support the use of our switches and dimmers in a 3-way configuration; but you can find threads from other users across the forum, detailing how they got different products to work in a 4-way circuit. You will most likely find that other products are far more suited for 4-way circuits than the KS230. I would recommend taking a look around, as some of our user's knowledge in home electrical wiring surpasses my own by far, and oftentimes they provide diagrams of how they wired everything.

As far as how the dimmers function, the satellite unit will pass dimming signals to the main unit, and the main unit is the only device actually controlling the flow of electricity to the connected device. Placing an additional dimmer/unit in between the units will prevent the signals from reaching the main unit. Dimming Signals are a very bizarre topic, and is also the reason why our dimmers are not compatible with some dimming types.

Options
2023-04-11 05:51:28

@Riley_S 

Installed the KS230Kit v2 and the first set didn't work - no power on the main switch to the traveler wires or posts.  The master is on, connected and in the app shows the switch turning off / on and dimming, but there is no power on the traveler side to power the remote switch / light.  Checking voltage I see a small amount of power on the travelers which I assume is enough to energize the remote switch as it too works fine; i.e. turns the master on / off and changes dimming as verified in the app.   However, the load line never has any voltage to it so the light itself never turns on.

Now the kicker is I have installed two different sets, but the same problem.  I've checked all the lines and I have the master on the line and the remote on the load.

Any ideas on issue?

Options
2023-04-15 21:24:15

@Riley_S I've been using this kit since the v2 Beta last Fall and it's been perfect. And integrating it into my Home Automation was easy and has allowed me to build some complex Routines. I have Elderly in the house and the way these link to another switch is genius which guarantees that if the Automation for some reason fails, Nah, they never fail so, pressing the switch without any assistance from any device manager, the lights associated work as if they were triggered by "She who shall not be named".

I had already installed two Kasa Switches, One Dimmer, One Switch, and they have been perfect. And it just so happens that both installs were right next to eachother and needed to be connected.

Thanks guys for a solid, feature rich, easy to pair line of lighting controls.

Options
2023-06-04 15:49:50

@Riley_S 

Does it work with a GFIC circuit???

Options
2023-07-08 02:34:26 - last edited 2023-07-13 23:21:45

What is the difference between KS230 V2 and KS230 V2.8 or V3?

Options
2023-07-17 19:05:25

@Super_Man_007,

We are looking there is just a lot to have to look through. if you need direct support from the team, it is always best to email or live chat with the support team, as there is no guarantee that your post will be responded to throughout the communities, or in a timely manner.

As for version differences, especially Smart Home - there is often very little difference between versions. The jump from v1 to v2 was unique in that it did change the wiring of the device and made a lot of improvements on the hardware side. Smaller Hardware Updates such as 2.0 to 2.6, will be the same and will usually share its firmware - oftentimes, this change is triggered by a simple change in manufacturing location.

I do not currently see a v3 model listed on the site for available firmware downloads. I would assume that there should be no real differences between the v2 and v3, but I will try and look for specifics if the version does exist. At an Amazon level, the older v1s, with the older wiring system, are listed as an older or classic style - new postings for the KS230 will generally use the newest versions, but you can check the wiring diagram in the listing to confirm.

Options
2023-07-18 06:35:51

@Riley_S 

I did ask support (email and live support) and they were very vague about V2 vs V2.8. No definitive response so I am scared to try it out. Burnt with my experience with V1 so I will not try another one until I see some concrete evidence on what are the features/improvements.

Options
2023-07-19 18:06:12 - last edited 2023-07-19 23:42:45

@Super_Man_007,

Apologies for the experience you had with the V1. The V2 was really the model that you are looking for in terms of improvements; looking at our internal documentation - there is no difference in the setup and operation of the V2 models.

The V2 had many improvements over the V1 (a few are mentioned in the original post of this thread) and basically fixed all of the reported issues from the previous version, as this was the purpose of the V2 redesign.

Is there a specific part of the original version that you have stuck in your mind that i may help put to ease?

What type of wiring setup are you looking to install a switch into?

Also, I will probably be just as vague regarding the V2 differences. The smaller updates for models are often minimal changes, such as a change in retailers or manufacturing locations. If there were any hardware differences between the V2 revisions, they would be so minimal that they would likely go unnoticed by users, and this is the case for a large portion of our Smart Home Products with multiple sub-versions.

In my opinion, as I have these installed in my home, you would be best to ignore your experience with the V1 and look at the features of the V2, along with some of the other posts on this forum detailing their setup.

Options
2023-07-22 21:39:13

@Riley_S 

I am so disappointed with it. Moreover, the countless hours I spent - and still keep spending since the cover plate keeps pressing the config/setup/reset switch on the V1 every few days. How do I get a refund for the V1?

Options
2023-07-24 17:52:43

@Super_Man_007,

Unfortunately, as long as the switch is in working order, it is not eligible for a warranty return; you would need to check to see if you may still return through however you purchased the device.

All Kasa switches use a standard wall plate size, for some KS230 there may be a small gap between the plate and the switch - but this should not cause the reset button to be pushed. Are you positive that the switch is properly aligned to the wall box, and your wall plate uses standard decora sizing?

Options
Related Articles