Dimmer Switch Night Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Dimmer Switch Night Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Dimmer Switch Night Mode
Dimmer Switch Night Mode
2023-04-07 12:18:00
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Do I have the ability on the dimmer switch to specify brightness levels depending on the time of day? For example, between certain times if a light is turned on I want it to be at 40% instead of 100%.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Dimmer Switch Night Mode
2023-04-07 17:30:07

@vincepro1211,

Yes you can configure this in the schedules option on the device, which will keep working even if your network drops. Otherwise, you can create a Smart Action to  change the brightness at different times and then when the device is turned on it will us that brightness

Options
2023-04-07 18:29:37

@Riley_S 

This will not turn on the switch at whatever time it's scheduled correct? It will just specify the brightness after a certain time for whenever the next time the switch is turned on? 

Options
2023-04-10 18:48:36 - last edited 2023-04-10 18:48:44

@vincepro1211,

I believe that our switches do not have separate brightness commands coded into them. Setting the brightness will currently turn the light on. I have passed this along to both our development and our product testing teams, as it would be extremely useful for a lot of users and I would like to hear what they think of the features possibility being added in future updates.

Currently, the only way to do this is to immediately have the light turn off after the smart action is run. Which would set the last known brightness of the switch. What I would recommend, is looking at the different options that are available as different actions for interacting with the switch. 

Options
2023-04-16 19:45:29

@Riley_S 

There are posts going back to 2019 asking for this feature so I'm not going to get my hopes up at this point. 

Options
2023-04-17 18:26:24

@vincepro1211,

It is something that ever since I have started, I have been advocating for as I have a few bulbs that have done this in the past. I am pretty sure it is a hardware requirement to add the feature. Something that may give hope is the fact that we are beginning to release so many different matter devices that the functionality may appear eventually. If you want to put your feedback through a different channel than what you have already trued, you may also try to add the feedback through the menu option in the Kasa App. This will send the feedback directly to our development team.

Options
2023-10-10 08:06:52

@vincepro1211 the Wemo dimmer switch allows you to perform this task, scheduling brightness at certain hours/days without turning the light on/off, and has been capable of doing so for over five years. I converted all my Wemo devices to Kasa as I found them inferior -- frequently losing network connection, having to reset a breaker to reset the dimmer switch that would randomly get stuck on/off -- so it's unfortunate to lose this feature. I came to these forums hoping there was a way that I just hadn't figured out, but it seems that is not the case. To me, this wouldn't be a hardware condition, but more of a programming issue with conditions, but I am only familiar with MATLAB and C++ and am not sure what  language Kasa devices use.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 421

Replies: 6

Related Articles