Tapo l535E Matter bulb and dimming

2024-02-07 14:25:25

general question -- is the bulb compatible with mounting to a dimming switch? I understand that the dimming in specs in through the bulb control itself, but the fixture I have has a non-removeable built in dimmer. My attempt at HUE bulbs had them flicker incessantly, and HUE is not compatible with this dimmer. I do not know the specifics of the built-inn dimmer, but ir could be set/glued to full-on.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo l535E Matter bulb and dimming
2024-02-08 19:01:33

@jlacsm,

Any kind of smart bulb will not do well with a dimming socket. The internal components usually rely on receiving the full power of your circuits and then dimming the brightness itself. With dimmers, there is simply a specific amount of power that is always passed to the devices, sometimes preventing the bulb from receiving only the power it needs.

Flickering with dimmers is usually a result of an unsupported dimming type, as dimming signals change the delivered powered using a standard.

If you could verify that the bulb will always receive full power and will not be dimmed, it would be possible - however not recommended due to the higher risk of placing strain on the internal electronics; and the fact that other behaviors could present themselves due to unseen electronics or control modules.

Depending on the Dimmer and the wiring of your fixture, the behavior may be caused by the fixture itself, and not necessarily the switch. Do you have the model of the fixture available to you?

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 221

Replies: 1

Related Articles