Update firmware for a single device at a time

2024-02-07 23:54:02
Model: EP25P4   KP115  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

Why is there no option to update the firmware for a single device at a time?

The firmware update causes a brief power outage which I want to be able to manage to prevent damage to the connected equipment.

Right now the Kasa wants to update 6 EP25s, 4 KP115s, 5 HS110s, ...

Options
6 Reply
Re:Update firmware for a single device at a time
2024-02-08 18:24:38

@rct0,

I want to say that is is possible for some devices in the Kasa App under the Device Settings, rather than in the firmware checking tool under the 'Me' tab. Where you have the option to enable or disable auto-update, there should be an option to manually upgrade the device.

I will make sure to pass along the feedback that the option should be made clearly available for all devices in the Kasa App, or added if not supported.

Along with the information from above, what types of devices were you looking at protecting? It is extremely useful to pass along specific use cases along with a feature request.

Options
2024-02-08 19:31:11

@Riley_S  On the current iOS app, for the Kasa plugs I'm using (HS110, KP115, KP125/EP25, HS300) under Device Settings, I don't see any options for enabling/disabling auto update or a manual firmware update button.  Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Regarding the use case for the type of connected loads, I have a number of plugs that control computers/networking gear in order to provide monitoring of power consumption as well as the ability to remotely power cycle the connected device in case it goes offline.   I'm also:

* using a plug to monitor a chest freezer in the garage to make sure it is running regularly.

* using a plug to monitor the power consumption of the dish washer to provide notification when it has completely work, and to turn if off if a leak is detected.

Since a firmware update would cause a brief power interruption to those devices, I want manually update each device when I've taken steps to make sure it is safe -- computer is shutdown, compressor isn't running, dishwasher isn't in the middle of a load, etc.

Options
2024-02-08 20:04:47

Hey @rct0,

Thanks for all the added information. I will make sure to pass the feedback along.

I do not think that we have an FAQ prepared for the feature on Kasa; however, it would follow the same basic steps as the Tapo App:

FAQ: How to Update your Kasa and Tapo Devices from the Tapo App?

Otherwise, you may actually consider integrating your devices over to the Tapo app so you can update them with the process above. Your devices are still available in the Kasa app so it simply provides additional features when adding your Kasa devices to the Tapo app.

Options
2024-02-08 22:39:53

@Riley_S 

I do not think that we have an FAQ prepared for the feature on Kasa; however, it would follow the same basic steps as the Tapo App:

What "feature" on Kasa?

As I explained above,  for my Kasa devices there does NOT appear to be a Kasa feature that lets me update a single device.

As far as the Tapo app goes, for my Kasa devices there does not appear to be a firmware update option after "Device Info" like the screen shot shows.  The Device Info button is followed by the remove.

If I'm misisng something please explain.

Options
2024-07-10 19:48:09

Any updates on this?   It still looks like I have to cause a reboot for every device of the same type at once to do an update?

Options
2024-07-10 23:33:28

@rct0,

I haven't heard anything after passing along the feedback to allow for individual device updates, as I believe it is affected by how the updates are delivered to the devices. From what we can tell, this is done to all devices of the same model, not necessarily of the same type, as they all receive the update simultaneously across your network.

I have also mentioned that it may be useful to allow scheduling of individual device updates when going through the process, such as if one plug is in use and shouldn't be turned off until a specific time. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 609

Replies: 6

Related Articles