KS220 crashed my router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KS220 crashed my router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
KS220 crashed my router
KS220 crashed my router
2023-01-10 04:40:13 - last edited 2023-01-10 23:30:41
Model: Kasa HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

When I tried to connect KS220 V2 to my router (ASUS blue cave), the connection would cause my whole network to crash. 2.4 GHz SSID disappeared, and 5 GHz still detectable but no internet connection. I have to reboot the router to get everything back. I already update the KS220 firmware to 1.0.8 by connecting to hotspot of my cell phone. I also tried to connect the switch to my hotspot and change the router SSID to the same SSID of my phone. The switch can connect to router but still crash the router internet. 

I know this is a well known issue between ASUS blue cave and some TP-Link IoT. But, 2 of my ES20M V1 1.0.8 Kasa switches , a KASA KP105 plug and a KASA light strip work no problem with this router. So I thought there might be some solution on KASA firmware side. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:KS220 crashed my router
2023-01-10 19:43:32

@stunme,

Can you verify your product model? the KS220 is our newest Dimmer with HomeKit Support and does not have a V2 hardware version on our support pages. If it is indeed the KS220 and your other devices work fine, I would look to see if you have any other homekit devices on the network

In the waaay past, issues with ASUS routers rebooting has been a fix that needs to be pushed through a firmware update to the router from ASUS. Previously a similar behavior has been seen when there is a very old homekit controller on the network, such as an old LG smart TV, that isn't updated to support the newest protocols. I would look into IGMP snooping settings on your ASUS router.

If you have the option to create a Guest Network on the ASUS router, try setting the device up there; the dimmer won't be able to see whatever homekit controller or device is causing the network to crash. 

Options
2023-01-10 22:26:29

@Riley_S 

Sorry, my bad. The model should be HS220, Smart Dimmer Switch single pole. 

I have tried guest network. By connecting the switch, the guest network disappeared and the regular 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz work normal. The switch is showing a constant orange light after that. 

Options
2023-01-11 17:23:28

@stunme, So from everything that I have been reading on other forums, this seems to be a result of the router rather than the plug. It seems that the router is known to have this behavior when some smart plugs are connected to the network. You will have to look towards ASUS for a solution. I would start with making sure that you are using the most recent firmware for your network, as this is something that can most likely be fixed through a firmware update.

Options
2023-01-11 19:46:44

@Riley_S 

I agree with that. There must be some issue between the TPlink switch and the ASUS blue cave router. Since the blue cave is already in the list of EoL, I can not expect any firmware update on the router. 

Again, most of other Kasa smart things from TPlink are connecting blue cave router with no problem (one of them was fixed by updating the firmware of the plug). Shall I assume that for this paticular model HS220 V2, it is doing something to trigger the router bricking, which is not necessary for the connection.

Shall I expect any firmware update for HS220 V2 in near future? Or I have to get smart things from other company (like, Feit, i have dozen of smart bulbs from them works fine). For most people, buying another IoT is much easier than changing a router.

Options
2023-01-12 00:30:14

@stunme,

Our devices are designed in accordance with the standards set by the CSA and IEEE, meaning they should act as any IoT device that connects via a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection.

Going around other forums, it does seem as though there are solutions provided by ASUS engineers regarding settings to change. Some users I saw stated that they had no issues connecting their devices after performing a factory reset of the router, even though it's a pain. Some threads even indicate that changing the Bluetooth channel on the device was the solution when their Phillips Hue Box was causing the network to crash when connected.

Our devices often get firmware updates when a need arises; however, I believe that they have previously looked at the case and stated that it is an ASUS feature that is causing the crash. If you are able to find any information regarding what may be causing the crash, I would be more than happy to forward the additional information to our team. 

As I am unfamiliar with the ASUS interface, is there anything in the Router's logs that may indicate some sort of disconnect occurring or some kind of error?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 575

Replies: 5

Related Articles