Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

169 Reply
Re:Possibility to change WiFi channels
2020-08-24 11:55:24 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59
No, they will not fix it, as they don't care about the customer. I'm selling my DECO set, and I will not recommend it to anyone. In fact, once a week I'm going to spend 10 or 15 minutes on this forum and say, how they are not paying attention to what community is saying (I advise you to also do it, so other people can live their lives in peace). Noone should by DECO device unless you are living in the area, where there are at least 100 meters to the nearest neighbour.
Options
2020-09-03 05:39:58 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

Same issue for me

Options
2020-09-12 08:36:22 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@Kevin_Z Could we have an update on this, I'm at the point of switching and ditching based on this important feature not being available.

I have noticed there have been a number of updates in the last 6 months (2 that I know of) which have fixed bugs and improvements. Why hasn't this main feature been released yet? If the feature to choose the best channel was implemented (and it was clearly bugged) why has a fix for automatically selecting the least congested channel not be "fixed".

I realize how development teams work and that this feature "could" be a tricky addition as there are both UI and backend changes to be made but it's extremely important that this fix comes through soon.

But let me pose another question, is this problem solved in another release of a new product which is why you are not concentrating on an old product?

Be very interested to hear you response.

C

Options
2020-09-13 22:59:15 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@jcsogo @TP-Link_Deco 

I have the same request for the Deco X60.  We must have the ability to change channels on both bands.  It is an absolute requirement if you live in a condo or apartment building.

It may depend on the WFi 6 silicon vendor you use and the APIs they provide.  I know for a fact that one of the largest vendors definitely provides that support and the OEMs that use that silicon ALL have that feature.  Some OEMs implement hourly channel scans, while others leave it to the user to select.  We need this option.

Options
Options
2020-09-14 09:06:51 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@alar Dear @alar, dear all, when I replied to a very old mail in this blog, re-asking for a solution to the problem, I couldn't imagine my action would be so disruptive!!! A lot of people added their concerns about this lack in TP-Link firmware.

I'm very happy of it!

We must continue to ask for a solution!!!!

TP-Link, please answer us! It's your interest, otherwise it's a bad publicity for you!!!

Options
2020-09-14 13:47:38 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

Another day has passed and still no relevant explanation. Will try again tomorrow! angry

Options
2020-09-17 20:33:16 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@TP-Link_Deco 

Would it be possible to get SSH access to the Deco X60 (or any of the Decos for that matter)?  If so, we may be able to find a way to change the channel ourselves.  I'm sure these systems are running Linux, so SSH should be there.

Options
Re:Possibility to change WiFi channels-Solution
2020-09-18 06:11:20 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-18 07:17:08 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@TP-Link_Deco

Thank you for your kind and detailed reply. Months ago I started this topic without any hope for an answer, but a lot of people joined me, so I understand the problem is commonly felt. I was able to manually select Wi-Fi channel for a simple Operator-managed router, therefore I found very strange your state-of-the-art device cannot.

Now, I perfectly understand your position: give the customer easy of use. And I also feel that it's preferrable master mesh nodes, and not persons, can automatically and periodically measure signals and choose the best channels, synchronizing all other nodes in the network.

So my question to you is: if your nodes can automatically choose the best channel in 2.4 GHz band, why they should be fixed in the 5 GHz band?

If your mesh devices, with a new firmware, are able to change automatically and periodically channels in 2.4 AND 5 GHz bands, I'm sure all customers will appreciate as the best solution at all.

@other guys: what do you think about my proposal? Could it be fine for you?

RSVP

Best regards

Options