Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

165 Reply
Re:Possibility to change WiFi channels
2020-09-18 20:44:00 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@jcsogo @TP-Link_Deco 

I appreciate the detailed response, and have a better understanding of TP-Link's resistance to this request.  If manual channel changing were left in the wrong hands, customers could potential break their networks.  

That said, it is ridiculous that the 2.4G band scans for the best channel but the 5GHz band doesn't.  Both bands should scan for the best channel or both bands should have the option to select the best channel.  I actually have a RF scanner.  I can see every network in range, their channels, who makes the system, which silicon they use for the WiFi radios, AND other outside (ie. non-WiFi) interference.  It would be trivial for me to select the best channel if TP-Link gave me the option.

Another point that could play into TP-Link's resistance to add a manual option:  the wireless backhaul.  If you Decos are connected to one another wirelessly, and they all don't use the same channel for that connection, the mesh is broken.  I actually do not use the wireless backhaul at all.  All 3 X60 units use Ethernet backhaul, so they can communicate regarding channel changes, etc without a wireless connection.  For this sort of setup, there should be no concern about giving us the ability to manually change channels.  I wouldn't be opposed to logging into each unit one at a time to change the channel.  We know there's a web interface - just need to look up the IP address of each unit.

If you are concerned about changing channels on the 5G backhaul radio, leave it alone.  But please provide a way to change the 5G client-side radio channel.

Options
2020-09-20 03:21:32 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@MajorBulldog  @alar  @Saurabh_S  @mrobberts  @Chanda  @TahmidSajjad  @Levi8than 

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, All other mesh systems such as Netgear Orbi mesh or Google Wi-Fi mesh, don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

@TP-Link_Deco Seriously, this response looks like it was written by someone with no knowledge of networking whatsoever.

I could pick the entire response apart, but I'll just note the biggest falsehood you wrote here. The Netgear Orbi does allow you to manually choose wifi channels, I know as I had an Orbi and replaced it.

Also, if you want to auto select the wifi channel, then tell your engineers to do it properly. There are only 3 non overlapping 2.4GHZ Channels (1, 6 and 11) and the Deco doesn't seem to understand this.

Options
2020-09-20 03:44:03 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@OffGreenFX 

The gateway and mesh APs for AT&T fiber also automatically scan for the best channel, warn you if they detect congestion on the current channel, AND give you the option to select the channel manually.  For both bands.  So yes, this is definitely possible. 

Options
2020-09-20 06:23:57 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

Saurabh_S wrote

@TP-Link_Deco 

I still feel you should provide the ability to change channels. 

I agree that if deco can choose a right channel on 2.4, why can't it do it on 5 ghz? 

Also if Orbi has this option then it is surely implementable and why have you communicated false information? 🤔 

@Saurabh_S 

To be honest, I'm more annoyed that this staff member has come on here spouting information that is so easily proven false rather than explain why after so long of telling people that wifi choice of channel was coming, Tp-Link can no longer deliver this. Netgear Orbi has always allowed you to manually choose a 2.4GHZ channel between 1 and 13 and 5GHZ Channels 36,40,44 & 48.

It's total garbage. If the Tp-Link did a semi decent job of managing it's network to not choose congested and overlapping channels it probably wouldn't matter, but it does such a poor job that it's a necessity.

Options
2020-09-20 08:25:57 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@jcsogo If you want maximum throughput and minimal interference, channels 1, 6, and 11 are your best choices. But depending on other wireless networks in your vicinity, one of those channels might be a better option than the others https://gbwhatsapp.fun/gb-whatsapp-apk-download/

https://gbwhatsapp.fun/gb-whatsapp-apk-download/
Options
2020-09-21 18:00:11 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@TP-Link_Deco 

Netgear Orbi allows you to change both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, they also allow you to change the power output from 100% to 25%. 

I switched my system to the S4 due the Orbi not connecting to my Kasa plugs and switches. Orbi solution was to power down the 5Ghz to 25% which virtually made it useless.. But now unable to change channels, go figure.

Options
2020-09-22 01:23:21 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@tlc2892 

Hi, thanks for your verification.

We searched again, we understand now that Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, it is more like a wireless router+ an RE, so it seems that we can still change channel on it, sorry for my previous post if that is misleading.

As for the Deco mesh system, our developers are still working on the channel picking machanism to improve the current situation, maybe we can get the new firmware tested first and see if that will help.

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-23 22:31:03 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@TP-Link_Deco 

I will happily be another beta FW tester.  Just please make sure the IMAP fix is included in the channel change FW.

Options
2020-09-25 12:44:56 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@TP-Link_Deco If not able to select channel manually, at least we can manually configure the range of allowed channel. I just got deco M5 installed successfully but it sit on channel 11 of 2.4GHz which is become a problem for some of my devices (got intermittent connection). When all deco set on channel < 11, all my devices get a very stable Wi-Fi connection. Hope we got some solution on new firmware soon. Thanks!

Options
2020-09-29 19:21:29 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:59

@jcsogo 

I just ordered the ASUS ZenWiFi AX Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8) and it is supposed to arrive on Saturday.  If that works as well as others say, the Deco X60 system will be returned.

Options