Kasa Care Subscription Cancellation Rip Off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-06 08:21:54 - last edited 2021-08-10 05:51:17
Model: KC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello

I've just been notifed via email by TP-Link of a premium service cancellation.  I have received an email for each of my 3 cameras (1 x KC200, 2 x KC100). 

I can't believe that my service is being cancelled even though I have had the cameras less than a year.  2 were purchased from Amazon on 21/7/19 and the other on 18/8/19. 

At time of purchase the packaging and Kasa Care website (see below) clearly stated that I would receive 2 years of access to the free plan once the premium beta had finished.  This would give cloud access to 2 days of footage for the KC200 and 1 day for the KC100s.  If  I wanted more then I would have to subscribe.  This was somehting I was happy with.

The email and information I have been sent states that I will now get access to nothing historical without paying. I would never have purchased the cameras if I had known that after less than a year I would have to be paying £9.99 per month to use them! I have a large amount of TP-Link equipment in my house (Wifi extender, smart plugs, smart light bulbs) and have been really pleased with the service up until this email.

I wonder what exactly I will have access to after 4/7/20 as I am extremely disappointed and angry to be in this position.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation themselves?  I wish I'd waited and got a Homekit compatible camera that I could use against my iCloud storage, something for which I am already paying!

Any help or advice appreciated.

Radar

UPDATE:

They still have the Kasa Care web page active and online stating 2 days!

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1962/

UPDATE 2:

Interestingly all the camera manual documnentation I looked at since the email has been amended in late April and now makes no mention of the free service having any form of cloud storage(!).  All product page details need updating to make it 100% clear that you get 100% NO cloud storage UNLESS you pay more MONEY!

There is NOTHING on any of the pages that makes this clear.  This is a huge case of, at worse, misadvertising or at best a very poor, misleading product description.

But also Amazon are still selling the KC200 and the packaging on the site clearly states FREE CLOUD STORAGE (up to 2 days at NO COST) with upgrade options available.  So anyone buying today is going to be sorely disappointed.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kasa Care Subscription Cancellation Rip Off-Solution
2021-08-10 05:43:39 - last edited 2021-08-13 10:46:51

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback on TP-Link Kasa Care and subscription, we would like to share more information about Kasa care free plan that  may help some customers: 

1. Kasa camera advertised with free cloud storage enjoys free cloud storage for 1 or 2 years duration, it is confirmed that users still own 1 or 2 years free storage and that has not been canceled.
It should be also noted that Kasa Care free cloud storage will vary depending on the model of your Kasa Cam and not all the models comes with cloud storage. Please check Kasa Care plans for different models from the FAQ below: 
What is Kasa Care?  

In certain country or area ,when Kasa care is officially released, users may get an email that free trial of 30-day premium service comes to an end, but camera still enjoys free cloud storage as introduced in the above FAQ. 

2. Free cloud storage has 1 or 2 year duration, and time starts from the day when camera is activated and bound to a TP-Link Cloud. At the end of the free plan, users will need to subscribe to one of the paid plans to continue using cloud storage.  Without a paid plan,  users could view the live stream and receive the activity notifications, but video clips in Activity section on Kasa app will not available as the recordings relies on the cloud service.

You could check Kasa Care website for more details: 
Check Kasa Care Plan Introduction 

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:Kasa Care Subscription Cancellation Rip Off
2020-06-06 09:52:15

@Radar1968 I have also had this email and after buying 3 x KC200 within the last 3 months on the promise of two years free account with 2 days video clip storage. TP link need to make clear that we will still receive the 2 day storage with the free account for the duration of the two year period. Currently the free version doesn't show this as included. I feel your pain.

Options
2020-06-06 10:17:39

@Radar1968 

i am in the same position as you got 5 emails yesterday as i have 5 cameras, i still have the packaging and it clearly states 2 years free cloud storage, then 2 days. Just hope the company does the right thing and increases the limit to 2 years. Seems like a rip off to me, how can they change the contract before it ends, not happy.

Options
2020-06-06 12:47:32

@Joe_S 

Same.  I have 3 x kc200.  One is not installed and box clearly states 2 days of free storage.

Need to get on the 0hone to trading standards.  Will not be buying anything made by TP link again if they welch on this.

Options
2020-06-06 12:51:04

@Radar1968 

by the way I already posted about this earlier and it seems their response has been to delete my thread!  

Clearly a bunch of crooks.  Good to know and will avoid in future.

Options
2020-06-07 16:49:30

@Radar1968 

Look forward to updates on this news.

I have a KC100 and Five KC210 cameras.

I'm the same as you and do not know what I am still going to get for the next 18 ish months of my promised 2 year's free, which is one of the main reasons I purchased them.

Fine, if you want to offer a paid service, thats fine.

And also fine of your change your packaging for NEW customers who can make the choise.

But VERY NOT FINE if you are going to take away what we were promised over 2 years for (in my case) 6 Cameras I purchased withing a few weeks of each other late last year.

Look forward to updates.

If they are going to not honour this 2 year promise, then we should be able to get full refunds.

Hope they update us and let us know what's going on to al us LOYAL customers.

Options
2020-06-08 05:48:09 - last edited 2021-08-10 11:24:04

@Radar1968 

Hello, apologies for any misunderstanding and frustration caused by the Kasa Care subscription service recently launched in the United Kingdom.

All the customers from the United Kingdom who owned a Kasa camera will still enjoy the 2-day/12-hour video history for 2 years, which will be counted from the time upon the completion of the camera’s first setup.

We will soon update our resources on the local website.

Options
2020-07-05 21:11:40 - last edited 2020-07-05 21:22:13

@Solla-topee

I have 2 cams a 120 and 100, both quite new. They have changed after the free premium trial to only having cloud storage from up to 3 hours ago. Why is that please?

EDIT: I'm in the UK

The cams each say under kasa care in the app that they have 2 day and 12 hour cloud storage for 2 years and manual recording, but they delete cloud saves older than 3 hours.

They say "No activity has been detected in the past 3 hours"

Why has it changed to that? One is is brand new and the other is a few months old.

Options
2020-07-06 06:08:27

@Radar1968 Since with this camera apparently it is only used with the cloud, and if you don't pay you lose this function, because they don't let you add other free cloud servers either. We must require TP-Link to update the firmware and adapt the options to be able to use other free clouds + the RTSP option

Options
2021-02-10 11:34:12 - last edited 2021-02-10 18:08:38

@Solla-topee 

I own 2 KC120, and my packages say "2 days of free storage." 

There is nothing about "only for 2 years", or "to pay after 2 years".

If you sell a product, stick to whatever it says on the package.

No more, no less.

TP-Link promised me unlimited free 2-days storage. Promise not kept!
Options
2021-03-21 20:15:18
Huge scam from TP-Link !!! I would never have imagined it. Above they do not support the RTSP protocol to be able to record yourself locally, and you have a useless camera, only to watch live. Great deception.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3414

Replies: 18