VR500v guest wifi issues- can't create secure SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-21 23:43:19
Model: Archer VR600v  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 0.8.0 v5004.0 Build 190904 Rel.37877n

Has anyone got GUEST wifi mode working properly on Archer vr500v?

I received this with Kogan broadband order 6 weeks ago, and paid $70 extra for it, thinking it would be highly capable modern router !

For some time I thought it didn't have Guest wifi option but then accidentally found out the option can only be seen in the Admin interface, from a mobile browser !

It allows me turn on Guest wifi , set an SSID, and enter a password, but after hitting Save and seeing a 10 second "reset" of the router, I end up with the Guest SSID but no security (ie an OPEN wifi network!). 

Have tried many different ways including using different phones, different browsers, different length passwords from 8 up to 32 characters, complex passwords and number-only passwords , but nothing changes result.

Kogan support is useless as the first time I rang , the guy didn't know what Guest wifi was.

After I discovered the Guest wifi option on my mobile browser I rang again , and the 2nd guy stepped me through exactly what I had already done , and when I told him I ended up with an OPEN wifi SSID , he just said " well if it doesn't work then it is not a supported feature by Kogan" . I then asked about firmware updates and he said there won't be any!!

As a few others here found out , this model does not appear in the the "Model" dropdown box to start a thread , and on the TP-link website no info is found for this model when searching the entire site!

And yes I know I could pay $50 for a full featured router and set it manually , but just annoyed that Kogan FAQ say they highly recommend their supplied router for "the best experience and support"!!

Options
4 Reply
Re:VR500v guest wifi issues- can't create secure SSID
2021-08-24 12:04:58

@ThunderStruck 

Hi, Archer VR500v is a customized model for local service providers so it does not show up on the official website.

Is the modem provided by Kogan broadband?

Can I have a picture where you find the guest network since I did not see the guest network option on the user manual as well?

Options
2021-09-03 03:17:14

@TP-Link 

yes it came from Kogan with broadband order.

- here is views of the interface when using mobile phone browser.

Options
2021-09-03 07:11:38

@ThunderStruck 

Hi, thanks for the update.

Did the guest network show up as open on all the mobile devices?

And when it showed up as open, if we try to connect the devices to the guest, would it ask for any password?

Options
2021-09-03 07:32:32

@TP-Link 

Hi - yes,  I tried 2 different Android-based phones and a Surface Pro running WIN10 - all showed the SSID in the list without a lock icon , and all connected to that SSID without requesting a password.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 456

Replies: 4