P110 Energy monitoring bugy, missing functionalities

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-02 10:47:14 - last edited 2022-08-18 08:22:44
Model: EAP110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 210629 Rel. 174901

I just fired up my very first Tapo P110 since I was in a need of some sort of energy monitoring/logging device that is hard to find.

First impressions:

- the default language on my phone is HUN

- the app shows several things against my expectation e.g.

- energy consumption has no dedicated button (have to figure out where it is hiding?)

- then the translation is a bit funny: I have 'Energiafelhasználás' (ok), next to it ('Menetidő' = 'travel time') (hmm? are we going somewhere?)

- under that I have 'Energy usage' \ 'Today', \'Past 30 days', \'Jelenlegi energia' (= 'Actual energy' (!)) that is wrong again since we have ''Actual' energy consumption' maybe

- then the 'Jelenlegi energia' has the following unit [Sz], which to my best knowledge is not present in the SI, and to my best guess since we measure kW/h that shall be [W]

- then what is strange the 'Jelenlegi energia' is not updated, so I wonder is it really 'actual', tap on it you get a graph that is again not updated live at all and not even showing the same peak value (?). If you wanna see live 'actual' data tap back and forth to see 'real live reading' that is really crazy.

Not to mention missing base features like at a 'smart' product:

- possibility for cost calculation

- saving the logs, etc.

So I am quite confused about what to say.

I wonder what is the point of having such a great product with so many issues and missing functionality?

I guess I will place a review on Amazon, send this product back and buy one that can do what was meant to be (...without wasting my time and energy).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:P110 Energy monitoring bugy, missing functionalities-Solution
2022-08-18 08:21:29 - last edited 2022-10-25 09:07:33

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback with the Energy Monitoring part in the Tapo APP. 

1. Please confirm your Tapo APP is up-to-date.

The translation &  power consumption mentioned in the original post has been updated/ corrected in the Hungarian version app. 

2. Why the current power displayed on Tapo App can be lower than the rated power of the load?

So far the the current power displayed on Tapo App is the average power consumption of the load for one hour not the real-time power:

We've record this feedback for some further optimization. 

• For any feature improvement or feature request with Tapo plug, it is encouraged to also share your idea on Feature Request board or leave vote for Most Popular Feature Requests for Tapo,in this way users who are interested with this feature could vote or comment for it, that will help with the feature evaluation! 
  • If you find any problem with the Energy monitoring, kindly share the Tapo APP version & a photo of the phenomena to help fix the issue, thank you in in advance. 

Related Articles: 

Recommended Solution
Options
16 Reply
Re:P110 Energy monitoring bugy, missing functionalities
2021-11-17 14:17:30

@denieboy If you want complementary app to Tapo app you can try the Watt for Smart Devices you can easily check charts and cost calculate 

"Watt for Smart Devices" made with ♡ for the TP-link IoT community https://watt-app.com/ (just for iOS/iPad and MacOS)
Options
2022-03-05 22:38:59

@denieboy I only registered to confirm: Every word you say is true. The advertising is not exactly emphasizing the energy monitoring feature but still they make you think you could use this device for energy monitoring. 

Without additional software. I'll check that other app, the other poster mentioned, out and report back if that's a workaround.

Options
2022-03-06 18:29:35

@denieboy So I checked out the Watt app. It's iOS-only. It gives you slightly more statistical insight but due to Tapo limitations it's still very basic. I was hoping to be able to reset the energy counter without resetting the whole hardware and re-registering everything. There's actually a button for resetting the stats in the Watt app. Its description reads: "Tapo devices do not currently support this functionality"

So I have to confirm: This smart plug is pretty dumb when it comes to energy monitoring.

Options
2022-08-15 10:26:35

@denieboy 

Absolutely true every word you said. 

One additional bug. Timezone in App is set tu Europe/Budapest for the devices. But in the energy chart i see as currect time (in last 24 hours chart) 00:30, but its 12:30pm, not 00:30 am. This should be checked and corrected asap. Thanks!

Options
2022-08-16 09:49:47

@BLacc 

Hi,

Is there a different product that will monitor energy consumption/cost "properly?

Options
2022-08-17 11:01:15

@BLacc 

I have exactly the same issue. In our hungarian timezone the 12:00 switch to 00:00. But when 00:59 turn to 1:00 then it switch back to 13:00 (which is the correct time)

Options
2022-08-17 11:04:05
I just figure out why we have "Sz" instead of "W" Because the app is working according to a pre-written dictionary, and "W" is already translated to "Sz", because of the short version of Wednesday/Szerda :D
Options
2022-08-18 07:37:23 - last edited 2022-08-18 07:55:06

@NyGabor 

@BLacc  Thank you for reporting theissue. Please confirm Tapo  device firmware and APP are both up to dater first.

If still the same, can you share a photo of time or a photo showing the phenomena? Please also let us know the Tapo APP version Thank you. 

Options
Re:P110 Energy monitoring bugy, missing functionalities-Solution
2022-08-18 08:21:29 - last edited 2022-10-25 09:07:33

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback with the Energy Monitoring part in the Tapo APP. 

1. Please confirm your Tapo APP is up-to-date.

The translation &  power consumption mentioned in the original post has been updated/ corrected in the Hungarian version app. 

2. Why the current power displayed on Tapo App can be lower than the rated power of the load?

So far the the current power displayed on Tapo App is the average power consumption of the load for one hour not the real-time power:

We've record this feedback for some further optimization. 

• For any feature improvement or feature request with Tapo plug, it is encouraged to also share your idea on Feature Request board or leave vote for Most Popular Feature Requests for Tapo,in this way users who are interested with this feature could vote or comment for it, that will help with the feature evaluation! 
  • If you find any problem with the Energy monitoring, kindly share the Tapo APP version & a photo of the phenomena to help fix the issue, thank you in in advance. 

Related Articles: 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-18 08:29:49 - last edited 2022-08-18 08:30:48

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for the answer! Unfortunately for me the current power is still wrong (Sz instead of W). App version: 2.8.20

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 5133

Replies: 16