What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?

What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?

106 Reply
Re:What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?
2023-08-17 06:03:20

@Kevin_Z 

I can see that the Archer AX1500 is now listed as compatible with EasyMesh smiley :

Can you help me find out which version(s) of the Archer AX1500 is compatible, as I do not seem to be able to find this information anywhere?

Options
2023-08-17 07:50:39

@LarsTP 

Hello,

You can find more details here, but it depends on the region where you are, not all regions have access to EasyMesh on this model.

https://www.tp-link.com/ro/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax1500/

This is for Global (EU).

Options
2023-08-17 08:55:53 - last edited 2023-08-17 08:57:09

Hi @LarsTP 

@root1ng is correct. You can check the firmware release notes as per the specific model and hardware of your AX1500. For example, you can see AX1500 v1.20 supports EasyMesh on version 1.3.8 Build 20230619:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-ax1500/#Firmware

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-08-17 09:21:20 - last edited 2023-08-17 09:22:02

@Kevin_Z , @root1ng 

Thanks a lot for your reply. I can see, that the webpage for the country I selected (like the one @root1ng linked to) do not seem to have the update available as the latest version here is from January 2022:

I will browse to the 'en' webpage to get the link for the latest EU firmware then wink

Options
2023-08-17 10:09:01

Well it seems different webpages for different countries where I assume the AX1500(EU) harware version is sold are having different firmware versions as the latest version and that the 'en'-site is having the latest versions.

E.g. the UK-site is having 1.3.4 Build 20230220 as the latest firmware version for the 1.20 HW version:

@Kevin_Z can you please help by finding out if this is just because the webpages for the different countries in (EU) are out of sync and that any AX1500(EU)_V1.20 firmware version can be used for Archer AX1500(EU) Ver:1.20 HW no matter what (EU) country website the firmware is downloaded from - e.g. dk/en/ro/uk?

Options
2023-08-17 10:32:14

@LarsTP 

Yes, I can assure you that you can install the latest firmware version published on the EN website if your hardware is also EU. Just make sure you're installing the correct firmware for your hardware. You can actually check for updates on your router web GUI or via the Tether App if you don't want to upgrade the firmware manually.

Some local websites may not be updated timely when there is newer firmware. I will remind the local website admins to update the latest firmware as soon as I can.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-08-24 18:29:07

Hi all,

I have a question about building an EasyMesh network that consists of TP-Link EasyMesh routers of different specifications, in particular mixing routers that support DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) and routers that don't support DFS.

Currently I am running an EasyMesh network that consists of an Archer C64 as main router and another C64 as satellite router (and an RE305 as another satellite).

As we all know TP-Link's lower-end dual-band routers (up to the AX20, I believe) don't support DFS and are therefore limited to operating on the crowded 5 GHz channels 36 to 48 in Europe.

Now I am asking myself, if I was to upgrade my main router to an Archer AX72 or AX55 V1 and set it's 5 GHz Wi-Fi to operate on a DFS channel, like for example channel 108, what would happen if I then try to add an Archer C64 as EasyMesh satellite?

1) Would the C64 follow the main router and also start broadcasting on the DFS channel?
2) Would the C64 refuse to be added as an EasyMesh Satellite?
3) Would the C64 broadcast on a non-DFS channel, while the AX72/AX55 would remain on the manually selected DFS channel? (I don't think this is technically possible, though)
4) Would the AX72/AX55 automatically change it's own channel (and thus the channel the whole Mesh network operates on) to a non-DFS channel (36-48) when adding the C64 as an EasyMesh Satellite?

If anyone who has already setup an EasyMesh network consisting of DFS and non-DFS routers or someone from TP-Link could answer this question I would very much appreciate it.

Options
2023-08-25 05:28:40

@woozle 

If the main router supports DFS while the satellite doesn't support DFS, and you manually choose a DFS channel on the main, the satellite won't connect to the main via 5G when building up the EasyMesh network. It will only connect to the main via the 2.4G.

If you leave the 5G wireless settings by default as Auto, the main router itself will choose an appropriate channel based on the surrounding working wireless networks. If it chooses a DFS channel automatically after reviewing the wireless networks, then the satellite will only connect to the main by 2.4G via EasyMesh.

Options
2023-08-26 22:08:03

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks, Kevin_Z! This information is actually very valuable for the planning of an Easymesh network. 

Options
2023-08-28 10:16:46

@woozle 

You're welcome. I'm happy to hear it helps.

Options