Deco X20- Drops/latency/buffering & lack of troubleshooting tools

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-28 03:53:13
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 build 202101021 Ref 54794

Hi Team,

I have 3 Deco X20 with up to date firmware but I'm experiencing the following issues:

- Drop/latency/buffering on the wifi devices (most 2.4Mhz) on all devices (Iphone, android, RPix,Iot devices,laptop)

- 1 roku stick which can't connect to the AP but can connect to BELL's WIFI

- When the roku is trying to connect:

* I don't see any DHCP request reaching my router/switch  

* I don't see any ARP/DHCP with the mac of the roku captured on another PC plugged on the same mesh (2.4 Mhz) (in the same broadcast domain)

- I already tried to:

* Disable Mesh & fast roaming for some devices: helped for the latency and drops but not for roku/buffering

* Disabled 5Mhz:still roku not able to connect

- Run network optimization but nothing have changed

- Per wifi analyzer, the Mesh is on channel 7 that is used by many other wifi routers/AP (neighbors)

- Based on my search on this forum, the feature to change the channel manually was requested several times but without success :

* https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/268750

* https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/154561?page=1&t=2019%2F04%2F23%2001%3A49%3A54%20%200000

Of course, roku stick up to date and AP/roku stick rebooted several times

The stock firmware seems based on a version of openwrt (per strings) but binwalk doesn't provide me with more details as the firmware is encrypted.

So:

-  Do we have a way from the gui (Application and/or the AP Gui) to:

* run a traffic capture (like tcpdump)

* change the channel manually or at least debug why it's selecting the channel that has the most interference

- If not, then can we ssh to each AP? if yes:

* do we have tcpdump available (or an equivalent) through CLI

* do we have a way/tool to change the channel manually through CLI

-  If none of these options is available, then can you tell me how to open the box (I don't care about the warranty) as the stock firmware and the Application don't offer any basic troubleshooting tool/option (tcpdump or traffic capture, manual channel selection or at least understand why it does select it: no need for hypothesis please)

Regards

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X20- Drops/latency/buffering & lack of troubleshooting tools
2022-11-30 10:18:08

@Bensam 

Hi, Thanks for your time and patience.

For the Roku TV stick, have you also tried to turn off Beamforming under Deco APP>More>Advanced>Beamforming?

Please also try to enable the guest network for 2.4 GHz only to see whether it made any difference.

As for the channels, you could vote here-Possibility to change WiFi channels and so far, there hasn't been a clear plan for this feature yet.

There isn't an official guide to help customers to dismantle routers and normally a replacement would be the first choice.

As for further troubleshooting tools, there is a debug firmware for Deco X20 and if you are interested, we may discuss it via email later.

Best regards.

Options
2022-12-08 00:03:45

@David-TP 

beam forming didn't help either

when I tried guest wifi it worked

can you send me the instruction on how to install the debug version and how to do the debug to check why the authentication fails 

regards

Options
2023-01-31 02:32:18
Hi Support team, I'm still experiencing latency and drops event after disabling all the interesting options (fast roaming, beamforming,5Ghz, Mesh for some devices): 1142 packets transmitted, 1100 packets received, 3% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max = 7.075/750.869/15721.149 ms So again I repeat my request: Can you provide me with the link to download the debug version with the instruction on how to install it on the APs. If not, then can you tell me how to open the box without breaking it as it's my property and I don't care about the warranty. regards,
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1170

Replies: 3

Related Articles