AP mode with ethernet cable for second AX55?

2023-03-27 09:48:12 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:34:51
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Since we are still waiting for the ethernet backhaul firmware upgrade for easy mesh on this AX55, is there any performance impact on using AP mode for the satellite device/second AX 55? Or it is not recommended to use AP mode?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:AP mode with ethernet cable for second AX55?-Solution
2023-04-01 08:43:16 - last edited 2023-04-05 04:53:34

I live in a 3 story house with the main AX55 on the 3rd floor. The second AX55 is on the first floor and is cabled to the main router. I also have 2 RE700X extenders, with one on the second floor and the second on the first floor but on the other side of the house away from the second router. The main router and the 2 extenders are using EasyMesh. The second router is configured as an access point (while awaiting the new ethernet backhaul firmware) and is not meshed. I configured the second router with the same SSIDs but is operating on different WiFi channels so as not to cause interference to the existing mesh network. Everything is working fine and I have not noticed any roaming issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-02 06:34:30 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:34:34

Hello @mamiwhereru   @jra11500 

Happy News!

We have provided public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which introduces several exciting new functions and improvements to enhance your experience including Ethernet BackhaulEasyMesh in AP modeSatellite Router ManagementDoH&DoTECO Mode, etc.

Please visit the following thread to learn more about these new features, and do let us know if there is anything that comes up with the new beta:

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

We encourage you to try out this beta firmware and take advantage of the following features. Leave your comment or ask questions in the about topic. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Related Articles:

Product List of Wi-Fi Routers that Support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul

How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:AP mode with ethernet cable for second AX55?
2023-03-27 19:18:06

@mamiwhereru

You can use two AX55 (one in router mode and the other in AP mode) to extend your premises wireless coverage, but in this case you won't have mesh feature (smooth roaming):

without mesh feature and with mesh feature.

While waiting for the ethernet backhaul feature, you can configure them in EasyMesh with this video guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-03-28 02:27:37
Can i configure the AP mode AX55 to broadcast a same SSID and Password as the Router mode AX55 to resolve the smooth roaming issue?
Options
2023-03-28 02:49:33

@mamiwhereru 

You can configure the SSID and password the same on both AX55's, but they'll behave the same way as if they were different - that won't give you the same smooth roaming as the mesh will.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-04-01 08:43:16 - last edited 2023-04-05 04:53:34

I live in a 3 story house with the main AX55 on the 3rd floor. The second AX55 is on the first floor and is cabled to the main router. I also have 2 RE700X extenders, with one on the second floor and the second on the first floor but on the other side of the house away from the second router. The main router and the 2 extenders are using EasyMesh. The second router is configured as an access point (while awaiting the new ethernet backhaul firmware) and is not meshed. I configured the second router with the same SSIDs but is operating on different WiFi channels so as not to cause interference to the existing mesh network. Everything is working fine and I have not noticed any roaming issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-01 09:12:21

@jra11500  i'm currently renovating my new house, and i'm in the middle of planning for the network point. your sharing helps a lot :D.  my AX55 is quite new, and don't think i'm gonna switch to deco. that's why i was thinking whether i'm buying another ax55 and set as access point works or not, while waiting for the ethernet backhaul firmware.

thanks for sharing jira.

Options
2023-11-02 06:34:30 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:34:34

Hello @mamiwhereru   @jra11500 

Happy News!

We have provided public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which introduces several exciting new functions and improvements to enhance your experience including Ethernet BackhaulEasyMesh in AP modeSatellite Router ManagementDoH&DoTECO Mode, etc.

Please visit the following thread to learn more about these new features, and do let us know if there is anything that comes up with the new beta:

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

We encourage you to try out this beta firmware and take advantage of the following features. Leave your comment or ask questions in the about topic. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Related Articles:

Product List of Wi-Fi Routers that Support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul

How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-08 01:07:03

@Kevin_Z 

Quick question...

With the new beta firmware, does the AX55 in AP mode keep its guest and IoT networks as before?  I understand that only the main network is meshed. I want to keep the IoT network as before including device isolation.

Options
2023-11-08 11:59:02

@jra11500 

Hi, upon checking, AP mode of AX55 with this beta firmware still support guest network and IoT network, but I am afraid no device isolation any more.

Options
2023-11-08 12:36:30

@Sunshine 

Thank-you for your response.  If the beta firmware no longer supports device isolation, I will not be upgrading my AX55 routers for the moment.  The device isolation feature is really a good feature and I hope there are plans to restore it in the future.

Options
2023-11-09 06:10:50 - last edited 2023-11-09 06:11:00

@jra11500 

This is noted, currently the device isolation is available in router mode, not in AP mode, we will forward to development to see if it is possible to add it in AP mode in the future.

Options