Mesh networking with ethernet backhaul

2023-05-08 23:15:44 - last edited 2023-11-02 07:42:34
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a Wi-Fi connecting problem with an Eufy camera which means I need to place some sort of device nearer to it to get a good Wi-Fi connection.  Needless to say it is in the porch outside.

I don't want to go mesh over wireless, I'd prefer to go over ethernet backhaul.  At the moment I can't see a way forward.  I actually have a couple of devices that will run Wi-Fi 6 so it might be sensible to continue in Wi-Fi 6.

Any suggestions?   I'm open to replacing everything if absolutely necessary I'd prefer not to spend $2,000 on the replacement.

Thanks John

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mesh networking with ethernet backhaul-Solution
2023-11-02 07:42:28 - last edited 2023-11-02 07:42:34

Hello @johnwhelan 

Happy News!

We have provided public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which introduces several exciting new functions and improvements to enhance your experience including Ethernet BackhaulEasyMesh in AP modeSatellite Router ManagementDoH&DoTECO Mode, etc.

Please visit the following thread to learn more about these new features, and do let us know if there is anything that comes up with the new beta:

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

We encourage you to try out this beta firmware and take advantage of the following features. Leave your comment or ask questions in the about topic. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Related Articles:

Product List of Wi-Fi Routers that Support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul

How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Mesh networking with ethernet backhaul
2023-05-09 04:47:54 - last edited 2023-05-09 05:47:46

@johnwhelan 

Archer AX55 has an EasyMesh already implemented, but not through an ethernet backhaul. This feature is expected to be implemented as well, but I can't speculate about the timeline when this would be available. Here are the models that already have this implemented - they are all Wi-Fi 5 capable though.

What you could do is to buy another AX55 router and configure in AP mode (Case 1) to boost the wireless coverage for you camera.

When the ethernet backhaul feature is implemented, you could re-configure the second AX55 and build an EasyMesh network with both devices.

If you need an ethernet backhaul mesh network right now, you could consider AX series Deco system.

It's up to you to decide which approach you'll take.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-05-09 13:06:27
I think I need Wi-Fi 6, locally there are too many other Wi-Fi routers floating around and although only some of my equipment can use it. The more that can the less congestion for the rest. I did note that all your easymesh backhaul solutions seemed to be Wi-Fi 5. I think I'll try another AX55 and see how it unfolds. I like the idea of easymesh as it is based on standards and with luck Ethernet backhaul will be released sometime. Thanks John
Options
2023-05-11 22:50:02

@johnwhelan 

A bit of background first. I've been around computers for a long time. The first one I worked on had 1k of memory.

Until COVID came along everything worked smoothly on Wi-Fi5. The smartphone in the bedroom detected four other Wi-Fi networks.

The ASUS AC66U router was in the basement so it didn't pollute the airwaves around the house. I have a couple of machines in the basement that are connected via Ethernet. I was comfortable with ASUS and used a lot of their motherboards and other equipment professionally. With Win11 I needed a new laptop and that came with Wi-Fi 6 which would reduce the Wi-Fi 5 traffic. I picked up two Wi-Fi 6 routers one was an ASUS AX5700 which became unreliable after four months so I dropped back to the AC66U and Wi-Fi 5 since I knew they worked and the other was a TP link AX55.

Then the Eufy camera on the porch started to lose it's signal. It's a long way from the router. Also some apps on smartphone in the bedroom started to not recognise the network ie the connection wasn't fast enough. The smartphone in the bedroom now detected seventeen rather than four other Wi-Fi networks and with work at home video conferencing and You-tube I suspect there is a lot more Wi-Fi traffic around.

It looked like I needed a mesh network. I'd picked up a pair of TP link routers in the past and used them to build a Commotion network which was fun. Having done work on ISO standards I prefer a standards based solution than being locked into a particular product line.

The TP link AX55 was fairly easy to set up and I liked being able to plug in a .5 gig SSD to the USB slot and have my files available through the network and set the folder as the top level. Much simpler than the hoops I needed to go through with ASUS. I retained the old userids and passwords that way I didn’t need to go round and change everything. Having a single SSID for the 2.4 and the 5 bands does make life easier.

The second AX55 needed it’s firmware upgraded. I eventually plugged it into the first one and after the upgrade reset to factory settings then set the mesh up. The Eufy camera is working more reliably and the upstairs smartphone is also happier so it’s getting the job done. A second Eufy camera needless to say works perfectly close to the main router but not the satellite one but that isn’t an issue at the moment.

So Ta, but please can we have Ethernet backbone soon as I’m sure my neighbours will start to use 4k video conferencing shortly.

Cheerio John

Options
Re:Mesh networking with ethernet backhaul-Solution
2023-11-02 07:42:28 - last edited 2023-11-02 07:42:34

Hello @johnwhelan 

Happy News!

We have provided public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which introduces several exciting new functions and improvements to enhance your experience including Ethernet BackhaulEasyMesh in AP modeSatellite Router ManagementDoH&DoTECO Mode, etc.

Please visit the following thread to learn more about these new features, and do let us know if there is anything that comes up with the new beta:

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

We encourage you to try out this beta firmware and take advantage of the following features. Leave your comment or ask questions in the about topic. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Related Articles:

Product List of Wi-Fi Routers that Support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-02 13:42:22

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you

Cheerio John

Options
2024-01-08 11:55:35 - last edited 2024-01-08 21:52:11

@Kevin_Z 

Can you advise how to setup Mesh network via ethernet backhaul on AX55? i already updated the firmware to this beta verison. As a child router I use AX53 with the lates firmware. I have created the mesh via WIFI and then connected both routers through LAN ports but nothing happened. I also restored AX53 to factory settings and agian connected both routers through LAN ports but also nothing happened :(

Regards,

Damian.

Options
2024-01-09 02:40:14

losdamianos wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Can you advise how to setup Mesh network via ethernet backhaul on AX55? i already updated the firmware to this beta verison. As a child router I use AX53 with the lates firmware. I have created the mesh via WIFI and then connected both routers through LAN ports but nothing happened. I also restored AX53 to factory settings and agian connected both routers through LAN ports but also nothing happened :(

Regards,

Damian.

@losdamianos AX53 doesn't support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul at the moment. You may check the product list in this thread for reference. Only the models in the thread support Ethernet Backhaul and the list would be updated accordingly when there are new models.

While waiting for the new firmware for AX53, you may connect them via wireless to build up the mesh network.

Options
2024-01-09 07:41:15

Kevin_Z wrote

losdamianos wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Regards,

Damian.

@losdamianos AX53 doesn't support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul at the moment. You may check the product list in this thread for reference. Only the models in the thread support Ethernet Backhaul and the list would be updated accordingly when there are new models.

While waiting for the new firmware for AX53, you may connect them via wireless to build up the mesh network.

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for quick response.

I'm not sure if I understand the article from your link properly, but in the table in it there is listed model AX 53 v2 which is the same model as I have:

Options
2024-01-09 12:02:17

@losdamianos 

Sorry for my bad. Only AX53 V2 supports Ethernet Backhaul now. AX53 V1 doesn't support it.

Can you please confirm if yours is hardware V2 or V1? You can find the V2 or V1 info on the device sticker.

If yours is V2, please update and install the latest firmware version, which can be found here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax53/#Firmware

Then refer to these steps to configure it and connect with an Ethernet cable:

Options
2024-01-09 13:12:06

Kevin_Z wrote

@losdamianos 

Sorry for my bad. Only AX53 V2 supports Ethernet Backhaul now. AX53 V1 doesn't support it.

Can you please confirm if yours is hardware V2 or V1? You can find the V2 or V1 info on the device sticker.

If yours is V2, please update and install the latest firmware version, which can be found here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax53/#Firmware

Then refer to these steps to configure it and connect with an Ethernet cable:

@Kevin_Z 

I was sure I have AX53 V2 I but've just checked again and it seems that I have V1 :) This may be an answer to my problem :)

I will replace it on another AX55. I hope it will work then.

Thank you for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1255

Replies: 10

Related Articles