Solar panel no longer recognised after upgrading to Firmware 1.2.16

2024-02-06 13:42:48 - last edited 2024-02-07 08:08:09
Tags: #Firmware #Solar Panel
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.16

After turning off the Solar Panel option OFF (under the App - Battery Status -> Solar Panel (Beta) feature) to enable Firmware 1.2.16 to be installed the app does not seem to recognise the Solar Panel any longer and the Battery Status/indicator also does not show the charging icon anymore.

I have confirmed that the same battery status shows, i.e. no charging icon, on another person's account with whom I am sharing the cameras.

Under battery status the Solar Panel (Beta) option has been enabled.

I have rebooted a hub to see if that helps - but that does not seem to resolve the issue either.

Please advise?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Solar panel no longer recognised after upgrading to Firmware 1.2.16-Solution
2024-02-07 06:33:42 - last edited 2024-02-07 08:08:09

@Solla-topee - this morning it would appear that the units are now coming back with the expected behavior - please see screenshots below.

Note that the unit labeled as "Back Yard" only receives sufficient sun light later in the morning and is thus not yet charging.

I suspect that the auto-reboot I scheduled in the late evening may have helped to resolve the issue - as this is the only new "thing" I introduced.

As for your statement "When the camera's battery power is 100%, the battery status won't show the charging icon even if the camera is charging." - I have however seen that the charging icon remains visible for the entire time that sun light is available.

Below as requested:

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Solar panel no longer recognised after upgrading to Firmware 1.2.16
2024-02-07 06:16:46

@PvdWalt 

Hi,
Theoretically, the new firmware 1.2.16 does not affect the use of the Solar Panel function. When the camera's battery power is 100%, the battery status won't show the charging icon even if the camera is charging.
Please try to disconnect the Solar Panel from the camera, use the camera independently for some time and when the battery power is not full, connect the Solar Panel to it and check if the charging icon will show.

Please help confirm the following information if the problem remains.
1. Can you share a picture of the location where you installed the Solar Panel? Whether the location is sufficient sunlight?
2. If the Solar Panel has been connected to the camera for several days already, on the Tapo app>camera's Device Settings>Battery Status page, please scroll down to find the Solar Energy Output chart and send me a picture of it.

Best Regards

Options
Re:Solar panel no longer recognised after upgrading to Firmware 1.2.16-Solution
2024-02-07 06:33:42 - last edited 2024-02-07 08:08:09

@Solla-topee - this morning it would appear that the units are now coming back with the expected behavior - please see screenshots below.

Note that the unit labeled as "Back Yard" only receives sufficient sun light later in the morning and is thus not yet charging.

I suspect that the auto-reboot I scheduled in the late evening may have helped to resolve the issue - as this is the only new "thing" I introduced.

As for your statement "When the camera's battery power is 100%, the battery status won't show the charging icon even if the camera is charging." - I have however seen that the charging icon remains visible for the entire time that sun light is available.

Below as requested:

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-07 08:08:01

@PvdWalt 

Hi,
Glad to hear the camera and the Solar Panel work as expected, and thank you for your case sharing. yes
Best Regards

Options
2024-02-07 08:14:10
My pleasure
Options
2024-02-26 10:58:53 - last edited 2024-02-26 12:35:13

@PvdWalt 

Same problem here. I moved the panel twice now and now it's 100% sure in the sun but won't charge. Worked for a day then nothing, even if sunlight. How about when it's cloudy, is there a green Works fine then also or only when sunlight? Have plugged it on and off, battery is in place. Have 2 of these panels. Now just waiting for a sunny day.....

Options
2024-02-27 09:52:51

@JF72 hi, checking the C420's Device Settings>Battery Status> Solar Panel page, if the solar panel is charging your camera, it will display works fine.

Options
2024-02-27 12:20:09
OK. Thanks
Options
2024-03-24 16:02:28

I'm running into the same issue. I have a C425 and the solar panel too. It was working for a day and it hasn't worked for 4 days. The panel is in full sunlight most of the day and is connected fully to the camera. The solar panel option is turned on but it's not recognizing the solar panel. I have no detection turned on currently and the battery is down to 88% and never charges. I really want to like this setup, but it's hard to right now.

Options
2024-03-25 07:26:12

@AdamPudliner 

Hi,
Please help confirm the following information for the reported case.
1. What's the firmware version of your Tapo C425? Please update the firmware for a try if your firmware is not the latest one.
2. On the Tapo app>Home tab, please find the Tapo C425 and send me a picture of it.
3. Go to the camera's Device Settings>Battery Status page, is the Solar Panel turned on? Send me a picture of the Solar Panel page if there is an error message.
4. Slide to the bottom of the Battery Status page and send me a picture of the Solar Energy Output section.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 578

Replies: 9

Tags

Firmware
Solar Panel
Related Articles