Tapo C225 camera cannot pair to Wifi 6 router

2024-03-02 08:57:40 - last edited 2024-04-10 03:27:07
Model: Tapo C225  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: v1.0.7 Build 231108

I bought a Tapo C225 V2.EU (version) camera and am trying to pair it with a router on a 2.4 bandwidth. Let me describe what I followed:

1) I noticed that my wifi had the band steering mode on. Thus I turned it off and created two different MAIN networks (2.4 and 5). Each network has a separate SSID and a password.

2) After disabling the band steering mode, I assured both networks had WPA/WPA2-personal security.

3) Then I followed the instructions of the Tapo APP (Android) and everything worked as expected, except the last part of PAIRING the device with the router.

- Bluetooth pair -> DONE

- Wifi identification (2.4) -> DONE

- Wifi connection (with voice instructions) -> DONE

- Device PAIR -> Failed.

While searching online I also found a different way to select the Tap_XXX_XXX network from my wifi settings. Even though I found the network while connecting, I noticed that the network was in wifi 4 (version) while my router is wifi 6 and also the network SSID Tapo_XXX_XXX did not broadcast connectivity.

Thus, I tried the whole process again with my mobile HOTSPOT. I turned my mobile device to a hotspot and followed the app instructions. Everything worked as expected. But this is not my ideal scenario because I want a wifi connectivity, not a mobile hotspot.

My Wifi settings have the following configuration:

* Mac address filtering is disabled

* Band steering is off

* Network channel set to [1,6,11] -> mine is set to 6

* Network Encryption is set to WPA or WPA2 (NOT WPA3)

* Client isolation is disabled

* Never configured port blocking

* Network password has been checked multiple times.

Thanks a lot for any help/advice in advance.

Kind regards,

Nikos S.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Tapo C225 camera cannot pair to Wifi 6 router-Solution
2024-04-10 03:49:03 - last edited Yesterday

1. Tapo C225/C125 unable to connect router (WiFi), error message: "Pairing Failed".
  2. Camera live stream freezes quickly after some time and cannot be viewed consistently.

You can also post a new thread to open a discussion exclusively for your case.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo C225 camera cannot pair to Wifi 6 router-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Tolarade 

Hello Tolarade,

Changing the router default DHCP settings should do the trick. Did you manually add your camera's static IP? I am not sure how to find the static IP of a TAPO camera, because in my case the Tech support shared it with me. Once you manually add your camera's static IP you shouldn't experience disconnections. In your case I would test the following:

1. Replicate the issue with mobile hotspot. If you still experience disconnections maybe has to do with the camera (then contact Tech support).

2. Disconnections might occur because of an unstable WiFi connection or maybe you don't connect to WiFi 2.4G, the broadcast channel is not static, etc

3. When you change the router default IP from 1 to 0 (i.e. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1) you should next restart the router. After restart if you connect your laptop/desktop it must have a different IP address than before. For example every time you connect a new device to the WIFi network from a previous IP like 192.168.1.150 the device should now have 192.168.0.150 (notice the change from 1 to 0). 

Could you please verify the above three points and share your feedback?

I would also advice you to contact technical support through a ticket. They are very helpful.

Disclaimer: I want to clarify to the rest of the fellows reading the thread. My issue had to do with my router and not any defect of the camera. My router had some strict configurations from the router provider (i.e. the default IP to 192.168.1.1). And since I wasn't an expert in networking and WiFI connections I came in contact with the pros from the tech support of TP-Link. That's why it took me over 1 month to investigate and resolve my issue.

Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:Tapo C225 camera cannot pair to Wifi 6 router
2024-03-04 09:27:19

@NikosSp 

What router are you using? Please share your network topology as clearly as possible if you own a big network.

*Make sure you're using the latest Tapo APP. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-03-04 15:22:18 - last edited 2024-03-04 15:37:43

@Wayne-TP

My network topology is a very simple one for a home network. Not sure what more you need about that. I have the Speedport Plus 2 router from COSMOTE. The router has band steering available for 2.4g and 5g. But I have split the two bands to two separate MAIN networks. Each band has each own SSID and Password.

More specific details about my Router (sensitive info hidden):

Some more settings from the router's configuration page.

--Overview tab

-- Internet tab

Also on this tab:

- no Port Mapping is defined,

- DMZ not enabled

- no MAC filtering applied or Internet pause

- no IP filtering

- DDNS disabled

- UPnP enabled

- WoLAN disabeld

-- WiFi tab

-- Settings tab

Status & Support tab

I have tested everything described here:

I have also seen in some forums that the firmware version of the Tapo C225 V2 is updated in 231204 while mine device has the version v.1.0.7 231118. Maybe the firmware update is not yet available for Greece? I checked the firmware version once I completed the setup with mobile-hotspot approach and auto-rephresed multiple times.

I have also tested:

* Latest vesion of Tapo App.

* Latest firmware update of Tapo C225 V2 (checked multiple times).

• Split bands 2.4 and 5g (separately).

• No MAC filtering applied.

• Channel set manually to 6 for 2.4g network.

• Even set up a tp-link router extender (RE) and retry by connecting through the extender.

• I also tried the WPS button. Retried the camera pairing while the WPS was pressed.

• 2.4g band has WPA/WPA-2 security.

• Wifi 6 (802.11g/n/ax).

• The camera is literally next to the router (side by side).

Camera info:

Every way I tried failed at the Pairing step (after connecting to the WiFi) and waiting for the pair of the device to complete. It's really weird that the camera can pair with the Mobile Hotspot and not the Router when both approaches use Wifi-6 standard and 2.4g band.

Thanks in advance for the support and I may share even more details about my WiFi router or the Tapo c225 v2-EU camera.

Options
2024-03-05 03:26:11

@NikosSp 

Have you tried to connect the camera to the Guest WiFi?

Regarding this case, to assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options
2024-03-05 17:50:52

@Wayne-TP

Yes, I tried connecting the camera on the Guest WiFi and had the same Pairing problem. Eventually, I made some progress today. I found the camera's wifi network, something like Tapo_Cam_xx7A. However, even though the WiFi name can be reached, it does not transfer data. I don't have internet when I connect to the camera's WiFi network. Moreover, based on the official documentation [https://www.tp-link.com/gr/support/faq/2710/], the Android setup suggests connecting directly to Home WiFi and not through the camera's WiFi.

Thanks for sharing this thread with the engineering team. I already sent them some logs with my application.

Kind regards,

Nikos S.

Options
2024-03-06 02:50:55

@NikosSp 

It's not a problem with camera WiFi. Camera WiFi does not have internet access, it's for configuration only. Tapo App can only find the camera when the phone connects to its WiFi. You already passed that step.

Options
2024-03-06 09:17:56

@Wayne-TP

Ok, so basically as soon as I connect to the camera through Bluetooth I will be able to see the Camera's Wifi. And for Android I should not use it for configuration, am I right? Based also on the official documentation, where the Camera's network is used when setting up the camera from iOS and not Android.

Options
2024-03-07 06:42:44

@NikosSp 

Camera WiFi is visible to everyone and it will disappear after the configuration is done. This model Tapo C225 is configured via WiFi, not Bluetooth, and whatever mobile devices are used for configuration, they need to be connected to the camera WiFi before the app can discover and find the device for the rest of the configuration (connecting to the router WiFi, setting the device name, selecting the icon, etc.).

Options
2024-04-09 07:34:52

@Wayne-TP Hi i have same problem with my router and camera. 

what is the solution to this problem?
Options
2024-04-09 08:41:23
Bro - what is the solution to this problem? pls
Options
2024-04-09 08:55:13 - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Juraj_SVK 

Hello,

I came in contact with the technical support of TPlink and for the past month, we tried to resolve the problem. Eventually, we solved it by giving a static IP to the camera from my router. The root of the problem was DHCP server that couldn't assign an automatic IP address to my camera. After contacting TP-link tech support an engineer informed me that the camera's IP was 192.168.0.xx and my router was configured to assign IPs only to devices with IP 192.168.1.xx. Thus, by changing the .1 to .0 in my router DHCP configuration and assigning the static IP of my camera I managed to resolve the issue. Also, the tech support created a custom framework for my Tapo app to identify and resolve the issue. I would advice you to open a ticket to the official technical support of TP-Link, but keep in mind that the process will take over a month.

Options