Tapo C520WS - Outdoor Camera Wi-Fi Range

2024-04-04 18:43:17 - last edited 2024-04-05 12:49:20
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 231139 Rel.72992n

Hi Everyone.

I purchased 3 of these cameras, two for the back of my property and 1 for the front.

The 2 cameras at the back work well and connect with strong signals to my Deco XE75, which is part of my whole home Wi-Fi (AXE5400).  They are about 3 metres off the ground and connect well to the nearest router, which is about 50cm off the floor, behind a concrete wall and between 5m and 10m away, depending on the camera.

The front camera is about 5 metres off the ground but won't connect to my router unless I hang the router out the window shown in the photo.  I've tried placing the router in the room adjacent to the camera so that it is around 2m away, behind the external brick wall and below the camera.  I've also tried placing it in the room above the camera, the dormer shown in the photo. In this case it is about 3m away and about 1m higher.  Neither of these configurations work yet my previous Arlo system had no problem connecting to a router behind 2 brick walls and about 10m away.

I'm wondering if this is likely a fault with the camera or am I missing something in terms of configuration?  I've tried rotating the antennas to various angles without any joy.

Just for clarity, the camera worked as expected during testing before being fitted outside.  Also, as noted above, I can get a connection but only when hanging the router out the window so that it is about 2m directly below the camera. This is obviously not a suitable solution.

I cannot easily connect a LAN cable to the camera hence going for the wireless version.

Any and all help/pointers/guidance is welcome.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo C520WS - Outdoor Camera Wi-Fi Range
2024-04-07 10:01:32

@intgom 

Hi,
It's recommended to check if the position of the camera has a good Wi-Fi signal or not. For example, you can use a phone to connect to the Wi-Fi that the C520WS connected to at the camera's location, then check if you can connect to the Wi-Fi network and if the signal strength is good or average.
You can also try to swap the problematic camera and another camera's location to compare and test if the problem follows the specific camera.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 423

Replies: 1

Related Articles