Can RE705X used wired ethernet connection from router?

2024-04-21 01:37:24
Model: RE705X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have a TP-Link AX73 Router distributing internet around our home via a wired connection to a Netgear 16port unmanaged Switch and out to wired ethernet connections around our home including three Apple Airport Express that then distribute data wirelessly to remote parts of house.

I want to replace the three wired Airports to get higher WiFi speeds from new gigabit speed ISP connection.

On another part of this forum I received confirmation that 3 OneMesh compatible range extenders will do the job well but only if they accept a wired connection from the Router.

Can anyone confirm if the TP-link RE705X Range Extender will take a wired ethernet connection from the Router (via Switch)? 

I stress I don't want to output data to remote devices via the ethernet port in the RE705X. I want to use the port for the wired ethernet input from the Router (via Switch) and have it set to Access Point.

Can anyone give me a simple, non-technical, answer on this ... before I go out and buy 3 of them?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can RE705X used wired ethernet connection from router?
2024-04-23 01:28:41

@Zorro16 

Hi, You can set RE705x into Access Point, and connect 3*RE705X via Ethernet cables to the switch.

However, EasyMesh/OneMesh is no longer supported in Access Point.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-04-23 01:45:12

@David-TP 

Hi. Thanks for this reply. Annoying that no EasyMesh/OneMesh when the Range Extenders are all wired via ethernet. 

Does this mean they are just operating as dumb extenders and there will be no handoff to strongest signal when moving around house? For example, will I have the problem of strong wifi connection to range extender in office but when walking to bedroom, where another range extender will be set up, my device will try to hang onto the office range extender till its signal gets too weak and only then pick up the nearby Bedroom Range extender?? That would be frustrating! 

Options
2024-04-23 03:05:08

@Zorro16 

Hi,

The following information might help.

• We do have the extender which supports Ethernet Connection to router and EasyMesh, which is what we called ""Ethernet Backhaul".  It is still under wireless extender mode.

EasyMesh Range Extenders Start Supporting Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul

So far, RE315 is the only model that supports this feature.

• The seamless roaming is a joint behavior on both the wireless APs and clients. For many devices, they would automatically jump to a stronger Wi-Fi networks even though there is no Mesh system. You could try to manually change the Wi-Fi SSID of the RE705x to be the same as the host router.

• Compared with AX73+3*RE705x, I think you might consider our Deco Mesh system. A three-pack of Deco X50 for example.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-x50/

Though, Deco Mesh also doesn't support EasyMesh. You could disable the Wi-Fi on AX73 and leave Deco the only Mesh system at home.

Deco supports Ethernet Backhaul and it also works in AP mode.

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-04-23 09:00:14

@David-TP 

Thanks David-TP.

It is so bizarre that the TP-Link strategy seems to be opposed to wired ethernet. We have a large single level home with internal brickwalls and relying entirely on WiFi is not practical. That's why I wired it with Ethernet when we built 10 years ago.

The RE315 does not seem to be a solution. It's slower than I hoped for and, unfortunately, from looking at the local TP-Link site, it's not currently available here in Australia anyway.

Annoyingly, if I went with Deco units and disabled the AX73 Wifi, I would need a 4th Deco unit to cover the WiFi area currently serviced by the perfectly good AX73. In Australian dollars that's almost $700 for the 4 Deco units compared to a little over $300 for 3 RE705 units. All to achieve the same result, only faster, that my 15-year-old Apple Airports provide now!

Thank you very much for your help and advice but it looks like TP-Link isn't the answer to my problems on this occasion.

Thank you and best wishes.

Options