HS210 started flickering and clicking now but was working perfectly normally.

2024-08-11 23:33:59 - last edited 2024-08-19 06:59:09
Tags: #Installation #Flickering
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So, I installed just 1 of the 210kit switches into my master bedroom. I have it connected to wifi, Google home and all that good stuff. It was working totally fine and has been for a couple of years or so. 

Yesterday the switch started clicking and flickering the light whenever it's powered on. Nothing happened, no blackout or blown breaker... Just... Started doing this. 

I can't upload a video here but basically it sounds like a car turn signal and each click flicks the light on and off. 

I have an extra 230 kit so I thought I'd try swapping that in but I'm getting flashing red on the 230 and the room lights don't come on. I put back in the 210 and the switch and light is still flickering when on. 

I don't think I have the wires wired incorrectly as the 210 worked fine up until yesterday. But... I can't explain why I can't get the 230s to connect. 

Thanks for the read. Any ideas would be great! 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS210 started flickering and clicking now but was working perfectly normally. -Solution
2024-08-14 07:14:43 - last edited 2024-08-19 06:59:09

@Chanh 

This flickering does look unusual. As the light bulb has not been replaced and the switch has been used for several years, we cannot rule out the possibility that the switch may be damaged. You may consider replacing it with a new switch.

To install the KS230 KIT, refer to the instructions below.

How to Install My Kasa Smart 3-Way Dimmer Switches (KS230 KIT V1)

How to Install My Kasa Smart 3-Way Dimmer Switches (KS230 KIT V2)

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:HS210 started flickering and clicking now but was working perfectly normally.
2024-08-13 02:45:58

@Chanh 

The wiring of the KS230 KIT and HS210 KIT is not quite the same, and applying the same wiring may result in an error.

Did you change the light bulb recently? You may upload the video to YouTube or cloud drive and share a link here. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:HS210 started flickering and clicking now but was working perfectly normally.
2024-08-13 04:49:36

@Wayne-TP 

No light bulb change, just any random day with a very different result when we turned on the light. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EeVrHtDPqpv4fBJj9

I took the video in the dark so it's a lot of quick flashing lights - a warning in case you are flash sensitive. 

Options
Re:HS210 started flickering and clicking now but was working perfectly normally. -Solution
2024-08-14 07:14:43 - last edited 2024-08-19 06:59:09

@Chanh 

This flickering does look unusual. As the light bulb has not been replaced and the switch has been used for several years, we cannot rule out the possibility that the switch may be damaged. You may consider replacing it with a new switch.

To install the KS230 KIT, refer to the instructions below.

How to Install My Kasa Smart 3-Way Dimmer Switches (KS230 KIT V1)

How to Install My Kasa Smart 3-Way Dimmer Switches (KS230 KIT V2)

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-15 15:42:29

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the info! I'll update again after I attempt installing the 230's. 

Just for clarity, it sounds like this switch is dead? This 210 has been in use for maybe 3 years, likely less. You're saying that's not an unusual life span for this switch? That doesn't exactly exude a lot of confidence in my wanting to keep installing tp link switches throughout my home. 

Options
2024-08-19 06:58:53

@Chanh 

I mean this problem phenomenon is unusual. Given the circumstances and the fact that the usage environment hasn't changed, it's likely a hardware malfunction.

To pinpoint the exact cause, a thorough analysis of the product is required. If the device is tested normally, for example, it works properly in a different circuit, then the cause can only be found by doing the tests in the user's environment. But obviously, this is not a user-friendly solution in such cases.

TP-Link devices undergo rigorous testing before leaving the factory. However, malfunctions can occur in any electronic device at any time, including those from other brands. If your TP-Link device experiences any issues, the support team is always here to help. When the device is confirmed defective by the support team after some viable troubleshooting, it can be replaced based on the warranty policy. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 258

Replies: 5

Tags

Installation
Flickering
Related Articles