HS220 Switch randomly turns off and immediately back on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-02 21:52:56 - last edited 2021-01-20 07:12:36
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I had one of these in my office and 5 or 6 times a day the light will quickly go off/on.  There's no apparent pattern.  I thought maybe it was wiring so when I had an electrician over for something else he took a look and saw no issues.  At the same time he installed another in our theater room and it now does the same thing.

I've seen some reports of flickering with these switches but not this seemingly random off/on - has anyone else seen it or better yet have a solution?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 Switch randomly turns off and immediately back on-Solution
2021-03-09 11:54:13 - last edited 2021-04-25 10:24:56

Update 21-04-25 

Hello everyone, we have some Beta firmwares for Kasa devices auto- reboot issue, you could find the latest beta firmwares  from this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/262328

If your Kasa device has the same problem, you could comment on the above thread # Topic 262328 directly. 

* For maintenance purpose, new beta firmwares will be updated on the above thread in the future. 

Recommended Solution
Options
30 Reply
Re:HS220 Switch randomly turns off and immediately back on
2020-11-03 01:43:46

@Glovej 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

May I know the model number of your home router?

How long have you had the device and when did this issue start?

And I could see from the cloud server that there are several HS200 and HS210 under your TP-Link ID, was HS220 the only one who had this issue?

What is the model number of the lamp controlled by the HS220 and can I have a link of the product overview about the lamp?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-19 23:40:52

@Glovej 

I have the exact same problem, same switch (HS220 V2.0 on 1.0.3 firmware). I have 3 of them and they all do the same problem. They are on like they should, but suddently turn off for a split seconds, then back on.

Options
2020-11-21 14:42:45 - last edited 2020-11-21 14:44:42

@Glovej  Having the same problem with one 3way switch, but no problem with another. Light flashes on then immediately off. (never off then back on) Using Orbi mesh RBK50, satellite less than 30 feet away and direct line of sight.  HS 210 v.2 firmware 1.1.4.  MAC ending 43:25. Switch connected to basic incandescent light wall fixture with plain bulbs

Options
2020-12-10 03:34:43

@Brook 

I just bought these and have 3 dimmer switches installed replacing my current non smart dimmers.  I have the same issue on 1 of 3.  I have my lights on and suddenly it goes off for a split second and comes back on quickly.  .  This has been going on for the last 2 days.

Model HS220

Hardware Version 2.0

Firmware Version 1.0.4

Options
2020-12-10 06:39:07

@firstdown 

Hi,

Welcome to the TP-Link community.

Could you please help me check the following details:

1. Did you use the Homebridge to manage the home devices?

2. If the home router supported guest network, please connect the smart plug to guest Wi-Fi and check again whether the auto rebooting issue continues;

3. After resetting HS220, then please do not set it up and leave it un-configured; would it automatically turn on and off again?

4. What is the model number of your home router by the way?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-10 06:44:30

@JonRP 

Hi, I saw that your model was HS210 KIT.

And we used to get the feedback that if the neutral wire was not properly connected, the switch would randomly turn on and off.

Could you please check if the neutral wire is firmly connected on this one?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-10 06:45:51

@Dany_Bonin Hi,
Welcome to the TP-Link community.
Could you please help me check the following details:
1. Did you use the Homebridge to manage the home devices?
2. If the home router supported guest network, please connect the smart plug to guest Wi-Fi and check again whether the auto rebooting issue continues;
3. After resetting HS220, then please do not set it up and leave it un-configured; would it automatically turn on and off again?
4. What is the model number of your home router by the way?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-10 03:55:07

@Glovej I have 3 HS200 switches that randomly turn off then back on too. They don't happen at any apparent interval, just randomly a few times throughout the night. Curious to know if you were able to resolve the issue?

Options
2021-01-12 22:55:11

Hello, I am having what seems like the exact same issue but with my 2x HS200 (non-dimming) wall switches.  Several times throughout the day, the connected lights (2 banks of fluorescents) will turn off for a split second and then turn on again.  From where I sit in my office, it appears that they both do the same "flicker" at the same time.  I have several computers and other devices in the rooms and they aren't affected as if it was a power flicker from the breaker box or grid.  I don't see any particular pattern or timing of the flickers, they will be fine for hours and then flicker off and on.

Both HS200 units are HW v3.0, FW v1.1.4, and are connected to my 2.4ghz WPA2 wifi network.  They are properly installed with neutral-wire connected as per the instructions.

Please let me know what can be done to further troubleshoot.

Warren

Options
2021-01-17 21:20:13 - last edited 2021-01-17 21:23:22

I'm experiencing the off/on, and on/off as well. I have single pole, 3 way, smart outlets, dimmer, and power strips and I have seen all of them exhibit this behavior. I have somewhere between 60-70 tp-link smart devices, and if I have another night like last night I'm going to rip all of them out! From 2am - 5am my Master Bathroom light would turn on and then off every 7 minutes!

It's almost like the switch is resetting on it's own. I've seen it happen and immediately looked at the switch. The Wifi light is flashing green like it's searching for Wifi.

There isn't a pattern to this either. I can go a couple days without it happening, and then I can have a day where there is a switch somewhere in the house doing it every few minutes.

I use the Kasa app to manage them, and also have that app linked to my Amazon Alexa app.

All have current firmware, and all apps are up to date.

I should add that I've used tp-link switches for years and this behavior just started happening to me a few months ago.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 12499

Replies: 30