Ability for C200 camera to select stronger wifi AP during operation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-04 13:51:54 - last edited 2022-12-28 10:09:59
Tags: #Feature Request #WiFi Roaming
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.18

Please add the ability for C200 to be able to select a stronger wifi access point if one becomes available. Otherwise if an access points reboots I have to reboot the camera too as it will switch to another weaker access point. I know that the proposed solution is to have dedicated ssids for each camera but the situation becomes messy when many cameras are used, in which case many ssids need to be maintened. Also it is not posible to configure the access points to provide conectivity to certain cameras only as this is also messy. There is really no point for all this as you can simply add the ability for wifi roaming.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Ability for C200 camera to select stronger wifi AP during operation
2022-12-28 08:51:53

Hi   @Rocket626 

Thank you for sharing the feature request idea with the community. 

The camera is usually in a fixed position,  you might consider putting an AP with strong Wi-Fi signal near the camera and provide a strong Wi-Fi signal.

A Wifi roaming feature sound ideal but in real work, it may affect or even deteriorate the stability of the camera. 

Options
2022-12-28 09:09:27

@Solla-topee 

I have a strong access point next to my cameras. The problem is when this access point has to reboot for some reason. Then cameras, plugs, bulbs etc will switch to another weaker ap and stay there even if the strong ap comes up again. So I have to restart all cameras, plugs, bulbs to get them to connect to the strong access point as they will not roam.

I understand that they are all in a fixed position, but the issue I am describing is a real issue. Please consider adding the feature to roam at least make it configurable or use roaming with low aggressiveness.

Also Please consider the scenario of one ssid and 2 or more access points. Assuming that everything is switched off (cameras and ap’s). How would you start everything up such that all cameras, plugs, bulbs, connect to the stronger AP? As I see it all devices will connect to the first AP that happens to start first.

Options
2022-12-28 10:09:06 - last edited 2022-12-28 10:09:39

@Rocket626 

I see what's going on here, thank you for letting us know more about the scenario &   background information. 

So far the camera is inclined to the connected Wi-Fi SSID unless the current SSID becomes extremely weak to sustain the connection. 

Btw, would you consider creating a separate Wi-Fi SSID for your camera or IOT devices, like a Guest network and see if that works better for the situation. 

I do not see this requests a lot,  but will record this first for evaluation. Thank you again for taking time to share the feedback~  

Options
2022-12-28 10:21:37

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply. Yes please evaluate this. At the moment yes I am already using separate guest ssids in each ap thus working around the issue. However I would like to get rid of all the extra guest ssids in my house as they complicate my network, and make changes cumbersome.

please keep me posted if a decision is made on this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 211

Replies: 4

Tags

Feature Request
WiFi Roaming
Related Articles