How to download daily videos from Tapo C320WS

2023-02-25 17:30:37 - last edited 2023-02-28 06:08:29
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hello,

I am using C320WS together with 256GB memory card and Tapo Care subscription.

I need to download 24h video (almost) daily for long-term archivation purpose.

What is an elegant way to achieve that without taking the memorycard out?

I thought I would be able to connect to the memory card from windows using \\IP.address\ but that does not work.

I tried to download the day block via mobile app but it seems I cannot easily mark a big chunk of data and download it in a few clicks.

Then I thought that Tapo Care can be accessed via desktop browser and I will be able to see the recordings there and download them just like I download files from Google drive. But that seems not to be the case either and there is no chance to get to the Care cloud from windows browser.

So I am running out of options. Any advice please? I have no problem in doing it manually every single day, but I would like to avoid taking out the memory card as it is difficult to access it.

Thank you very much!

Options
18 Reply
Re:How to download daily videos from Tapo C320WS
2023-02-28 06:50:47 - last edited 2023-02-28 06:52:15

Hello @Mikekee 

For backing up recordings, 24/7 recording in the SD card + Detection Cloud Video clips with Tapo Care are recommended.

Or you will need to consider another piece of hardware to record video into a NVR / NAS device. 

For example, TP-Link VIGI NVR1008+ HDD (network video recording + Hard Disk)or a NAS device that has a surveillance software to do recording

NAS Related FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2748/

For how to use NVR for video recording, you can start a thread on business forum to learn more details

Options
2023-02-28 08:40:29 - last edited 2023-02-28 08:40:45

Hello @Solla-topee and thank you for providing additional options.

I found numerous unanswered posts that the suggested NVR and Tapo C320WS are not working properly due to unchangeable "admin" username which camera requires to have at least 6 characters - like here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/562964?replyId=1162218. I am not sure the combination is meant to work smoothly.

Having the necessary recordings on the SD card but not being able to copy them out (unless taking a ladder and pulling out the memory card) is a pity. That should be really doable without spending extra 100 bucks for NVR and some more for HDD.  

I am also ready to use the Tapo Care - how can I download lots of daily detection videos in a bulk? It seems the app supports downloading only one-by-one, or bulk deletion. But no bulk downloading...

Options
2023-02-28 11:46:34 - last edited 2023-04-20 09:04:21

@Mikekee 

You should be able to add the Tapo camera on the Monitor that connects to our NVR device and use the recording feature with the NVR.

For'how can I download lots of daily detection videos in a bulk?' This feature request has be mentioned by users, but I did not see it in the pipeline,  you can vote or comment for this feature in Tapo feature request board

Options
2023-03-21 17:31:22

@Mikekee If you could download the videos over SMB / FTP or HTTP , They couldn't make money of you with their TAPO Care .... 

I'm regretting more and more, getting 4x C320WS cameras..  I guess cheaping out was a mistake.. It's also weird that these cameras are so bad, considering that TPLink Routers are so damn good :( 

Options
2023-04-19 19:26:31

@Solla-topee Does VIGI Security Manager Support Tapo C310 ? I have tried to add my Tapo C310 but I have been unable to do so (The camera works with ONVIF Device Manager). The camera is not detected by  VIGI Security Manager and manually adding is not successful (username is greyed out).

Please clarify.

Options
2023-04-20 09:07:48

@cacb 

Hi,
Currently, the VIGI Security Manager does not support the Tapo camera and it can work with our VIGI devices only. If you have a TP-Link NVR device, you can add the Tapo camera to the NVR's web UI if it has.

Best Regards

Options
2023-04-20 17:27:22

@Solla-topee Please provide a solution for downloading videos from Tapo C310 cameras not using cloud features, but with SD card. Either by referring to 3rd party software that works with Tapo or TP-link software. What exist now is very disappointing wrt. this basic feature. I have seen reviews of the camera and bought one. installed a 128 GB SD card, but never imagined it would be impossible to download videos from the SD card without physically opening the camera.

I was planning to buy more cameras, but this will have to wait until video download is improved.

Options
2023-04-21 09:09:52 - last edited 2023-04-21 09:17:25

@cacb 

Hi, 
While we don't have any specific details that I can share about if the feature to download video from an SD card via the Tapo app can come to the product or when it might, I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.

Currently, you can consider another piece of hardware to record video if you do not open the camera physically to download videos from the SD card. For example, use a TP-Link VIGI network video recorder+ HDD (Hard Disk) to record video.
Best Regards

Options
2023-04-21 10:14:56

@Solla-topee 

It would be extreme awesome if you could add a HTTP WebAPI on the cameras - it would likely take a developer 1-2 days to make and add a lot of value to the product. 

With such an api we could make programs that automatically download new videos by polling the cameras every 5 minutes or so. 

Options
2023-04-21 20:50:26

@Solla-topee Thank you for replying and thank you for logging the request and passing it along to the developers. I hope it is given some priority.

Your link does not work where I am (Norway), but bying another piece of hardware just to be able to access the videos on the SD card is not an option. This is a software problem (I am a software developer myself) that can be fixed. The camera is marketed as an outdoor camera so it is not an acceptable option to suggest the camera is taken down and opened just to be able to access the videos stored. My camera is mounted with screws high on a wall following the instructions provided.  Thank you for your consideration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1580

Replies: 18

Related Articles