Camera doesnt accept 32GB PNY SDHC SD cards

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-21 16:29:43 - last edited 2023-03-21 17:19:17
Tags: #MicroSD card #C320WS
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

I've puchased 4x C320WS and 4x PNY Class 10 SDHC Class 10, UHS1, V10,  32 GB Micro SD cards. 

The camera wont format the card saying that there is something wrong with the SD Card. 

I've tried formatting the card afterwords in Windows using FAT32 , but STILL the camera wont accept the card ?

I'm getting more and more frustrated by these cameras :( 

I'm getting an error of "abnormal expansion capacity" - but the card works perfectly in Windows. 

I've also checked for hidden partitions and there are none. 

There is NOTHING wrong with the SD Card.

Is there a specific way to format the SD Card using PC that will make it work in the camera ?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Camera doesnt accept 32GB PNY SDHC SD cards
2023-03-22 02:10:38

@MontagoDK 

Please try to test the SD cards with H2testw tool and see if there is any abnormality in the result. How to Verify Fake Micro SD Cards  As far as I know, the expanded SD card can work normally like a qualified card, but it will have a much higher chance of failure.

Does the problem occur on every SD card and every camera?

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-03-22 08:19:54

@Wayne-TP 

Here is the H2testw results and its weird warning. Like i said, nothing is wrong with the SD Cards. It the camera firmware which is broken. 

I don't get why you should care about whether my SD card 'might' fail - thats MY problem !

Yes the problem occurs on all the cameras I've tested with. (haven't unboxed the 4th camera yet). 

I'm rather frustrated with this whole experience: 

1. You don't provide ANY information what the minimum requirements of SD Cards are on your website or product description. 

2. You don't list any verified manufactures / SD Card products that are guaranteed to work.

3. Lots of people have issues with SD Cards - yet your solution is to use a bogus test software + "try another card and waste your time on it - eventhough your card works perfectly in every other device you've tried it with" ... Clearly your camera firmware is broken.

Options
2023-03-23 06:42:24

@MontagoDK 

Thank you for sharing the information. We would like to escalate your case to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up. Please check your inbox later and confirm. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2023-04-05 08:13:28

Followup:

TPLink Technical Support Engineer has tested a different card (128GB SDXC V30) from the PNY vendor and determined that i should buy different cards, eg: Sandisk... 

No explanation what is going wrong other than apparantly my SD cards doesnt work in this camera...... 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 323

Replies: 4

Tags

Related Articles