Votes

Alexa motion detection compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-23 16:41:05
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.2 Build 220901 Rel. 74359n (4555)

I want to trigger actions when Tapo detects movement using either Alexa app or IFTTT app but the behaviour is different.

- IFTTT: I can trigger applets when motion is detected but the only way it works is if I have the "notifications" turned on besides the motion detection, it would be great if that's not necessary (as it is in alexa as I will describe in my next point)

- Alexa: Although I don't have to turn my notifications on in the tapo app in order to work, it's working just with a single model C200, for C310 and C100 I can only select "Person detection"

Options
4 Reply
Re:Alexa motion detection compatibility
2023-05-24 08:30:45

@Lucas001 

Hi,
In order to know your needs more clearly, please clarify the following information.
1. Currently, what's the Trigger and Action you have configured on the Alexa app and IFTTT app?

2. What Trigger and Action do you want to configure on the Alexa app and IFTTT app?

Thank you in advance!
Best Regards

Options
2023-05-24 12:09:59

Hi  @Solla-topee, thank you for your reply

1. Currently, what's the Trigger and Action you have configured on the Alexa app and IFTTT app?

- Alexa: trigger: motion detection(Tapo C200)

- IFTTT: trigger: motion detection (all Tapo models)

2. What Trigger and Action do you want to configure on the Alexa app and IFTTT app?

- Alexa: trigger motion detection in models C310 and C100, besides "person detection"

- IFTTT: trigger: motion detection without having the notifications turned on in the Tapo app. (all Tapo models)

A person from tplink support just responded in the ticket:

For IFTTT need to open notification permission in Tapo APP, it may be due to the different mechanism of triggering motion detection in different three-party software.

As for the lack of motion detection option for C310 and C100 in Alexa, I just tested it and there is indeed no motion detection option, only person detection, probably because these two models do not support motion detection in Alexa APP. So we are unable to change the Alexa Tapo Skill.

but Alexa's support claimed to be a Tapo Skill (for Alexa) limitation rather than an Alexa App limitation.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2023-05-25 08:50:58

@Lucas001 

Hi,
Thank you for the clarification. While we don't have any specific details that I can share about if the features can come to the product or when they might, I'll log the feature requests and pass them along to the team to evaluate.
If other users have the same request, please vote on this post or leave your comment.

Best Regards

Options
2023-05-25 11:59:10

@Solla-topee thank you so much for your time and for logging it. I hope we can get that capability in the near future since all the hardware is reafy (and it's even working already with IFTTT) 😄

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 339

Replies: 4

Voters 1