Duplicate repeated notifications of same event

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-26 16:25:19 - last edited 2023-07-28 09:01:17
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.9

I have a C420S2 kit, with two C420 cameras and an H200 hub, with a microSD card for the recordings.

Everything was going OK but today I'm getting a problem with the notifications - the system reports the same event multiple times.

One of the cameras triggered a motion detection notification today at 15:11, then again at 16:34, 16:37, 16:57 and 17:03.  When I click to view the recording, they all show the same video, of the person detected at 15:11.  On the playback screen for the camera, it shows "Detected events (1)", which is the 15:11 event, and there's nothing after that.

Why would I get five notifications for one event, spread over a long period of time, and only one recording?  Any thoughts as to how I can sort this out?  Could it be a server issue?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Duplicate repeated notifications of same event-Solution
2023-07-28 09:01:13 - last edited 2023-07-31 10:48:33
Update on July 31, 2023.

We have released the new official firmware 1.2.11 Build 20230726 rel.66682 to solve the notification issue, please update the firmware to the latest one if you encounter the issue on the Tapo C420 V1.
How to update the firmware of Tapo devices in the Tapo App?

Best Regards
----------------------------------

Hi everyone, 
Recently we receive some feedbacks that there are several motion notifications received but no recordings created with Tapo C420. If you have the same problem, please check the detailed problem phenomenon and suggestions below.

Problem Phenomenon:
With Motion Detection Activity Zone configured on the Tapo C420, the motion outside the activity zone falsely trigger motion detection notifications, and no recordings are created.

This Article Applies to:
Tapo C420 V1, 1.2.9 Build 20230626 rel.51862

Solutions:
1. We will release new firmware soon to fix this issue. Please wait patiently for the new firmware and keep your firmware up to date.

2. We have a beta firmware that may solve the issue, and if you want to test with the beta firmware, please send the MAC address of the Tapo C420 to support.forum@tp-link.com with the email title  'Forum ID 616638+ Tapo C420+ false motion detection notification', and then our support will continue to help with your case.

@docdunning  I have sent the beta firmware to your Tapo C420, you can update the firmware via the Tapo app and check if it will solve the issue.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Duplicate repeated notifications of same event
2023-07-27 05:57:08

@docdunning 

Hi,
Usually, a motion event will trigger a notification only, and it's hard to locate the issue from the problem phenomenon, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.

1. Whether only one specific Tapo C420 have this issue? Please send me the MAC address of the camera that has an issue via private message.

2. What's the model number, capacity, and format of the microSD card?

3. On the Tapo C420's Camera Settings>Detection&Alerts>Motion Detection page, please describe your motion detection settings. And on the Detection&Alerts>Activity Notifications page, please describe your notifications settings.

4. Please disconnect the SD card from the hub and then connect it to your computer via an SD card adapter, then double-check if there are no recordings related to the new notifications you received.

5. What's the date and time zone when the issue happened?

Best Regards!

Options
2023-07-27 09:30:33 - last edited 2023-07-27 10:20:17

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for replying smiley

Before I saw your reply, I decided yesterday to remove the camera from the hub, and I took it down from its position on the outside wall.  So I think that will have reset the camera to its original state.

Today I will add it back to the hub and do some testing while it is still inside the house.  I will get post back here when I have done that.

Meantime:

• I have sent you the MAC address by private message.
  • I do have another C420 camera at the back of the house, which doesn't seem to have the same problem.
  • I think the problem started after I had set the camera to Privacy Mode for a while, and then exited Privacy Mode.
  • The microSD card (from Amazon) is a "SanDisk 128GB Ultra microSDXC card up to 140 MB/s with A1 App Performance UHS-I Class 10 U1"
  • I formatted the card in the H200 hub, using the app
  • I previously posted another question on the forum about inserting the card into the hub and then removing it.  It doesn't click or bounce back like some card readers I've used.  I just have to push it in until it seems to stop.  To get it out is really difficult, and I have to try to get a fingernail behind the tiny ledge on the card, to prise it out of the slot.  It is recognised by the hub, though, and has been storing / playing back the recordings OK.
  • The problems happened on 26 July 2023, in the UK

More later ...

Options
2023-07-27 18:17:12 - last edited 2023-07-27 18:17:55

@Solla-topee 

OK, I've added the camera back again now, and it's set up on the outside wall.  Sadly, I think it's still doing the same as before.  It looks like it detects motion but doesn't create a recording.

From the app Home screen, I tap the envelope at top right, to get Notifications, and then the camera name
I get this list (all UK BST times, today 27 July 2023):
Motion was detected at 18:47:00
Motion was detected at 18:15:04
Motion was detected at 17:30:04
Motion was detected at 17:12:15
Person was detected at 17:07:46

But if I tap any of these, and go to the camera playback page, the last recording is at 17:07:42.  There are no recordings for the four, more recent motion detections.

As you suggested, I have checked by putting the SD card into a PC with a card reader.

The folder structure is TapoHub > TapoCam_{macaddress} > tapo_20230727 > 17

There is just one video in this folder - with the timestamp 2023-07-27, 17:07:51

Camera's Motion Detection settings

Sensitivity 6, and two activity zones, including only my driveway, and not the public road outside my property

Camera's Activity Notification settings

Rich notifications: Off; Send me notifications: Always.

-----------------------

The camera at the back of the house is behaving fine.  It creates recordings whenever it detects motion, so I think this shows that the SD card is OK.

When I first installed the camera at the front of the house, I was using privacy zones to block the public road.  That was working OK, although annoyingly, privacy zones can only be rectangular.  So I changed to using activity zones instead, which can have sloping sides.

As I say, the camera at the back of the house has no activity zones and works OK... so I'm now wondering if the problem is to do with the activity zones. 

A thought - is it possible that when motion is detected outside the zones, a notification is sent, but no recording is made?  If so, it isn't correct, but it might explain what I am experiencing.

As a new test, I have removed the activity zones from the front camera, and I'll report back ...

Thanks for sticking with me on this.  I hope we'll get it sorted out and it may be useful info to other users.

Options
Re:Duplicate repeated notifications of same event-Solution
2023-07-28 09:01:13 - last edited 2023-07-31 10:48:33
Update on July 31, 2023.

We have released the new official firmware 1.2.11 Build 20230726 rel.66682 to solve the notification issue, please update the firmware to the latest one if you encounter the issue on the Tapo C420 V1.

Best Regards
----------------------------------

Hi everyone, 
Recently we receive some feedbacks that there are several motion notifications received but no recordings created with Tapo C420. If you have the same problem, please check the detailed problem phenomenon and suggestions below.

Problem Phenomenon:
With Motion Detection Activity Zone configured on the Tapo C420, the motion outside the activity zone falsely trigger motion detection notifications, and no recordings are created.

This Article Applies to:
Tapo C420 V1, 1.2.9 Build 20230626 rel.51862

Solutions:
1. We will release new firmware soon to fix this issue. Please wait patiently for the new firmware and keep your firmware up to date.

2. We have a beta firmware that may solve the issue, and if you want to test with the beta firmware, please send the MAC address of the Tapo C420 to support.forum@tp-link.com with the email title  'Forum ID 616638+ Tapo C420+ false motion detection notification', and then our support will continue to help with your case.

@docdunning  I have sent the beta firmware to your Tapo C420, you can update the firmware via the Tapo app and check if it will solve the issue.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-28 15:05:17

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for following up on this with a possible solution. I saw that the update was available, so I'll apply that a bit later today and check if it fixes the problem.

Options
2023-07-29 10:04:59 - last edited 2023-07-29 10:22:02

@Solla-topee 

I have updated the cameras to the new firmware (1.2.11).

So far, I get recordings with every notification, which is good. smiley

But I think the camera is detecting motion and generating a recording for movement outside the activity zones, which is not good.  sad

Here's a diagram of the two zones I have created.  The triangular area at top right is the public road, and motion there should not be detected or recorded.

However, today I have several notifications and recordings of cars passing in that top right area.  I have looked carefully at the recordings, and the cars are clearly outside the activity zones, so they should not have triggered motion detection.

Maybe the camera doesn't use the edges of the zones as precisely as they are drawn.  I will try changing that zone a bit, so the sloping edge is further from the road.

Options
2023-07-30 10:23:03

@Solla-topee 

I've tried a number of different activity zones, all further away from the public road.  The camera is still detecting some vehicles passing by, which are well outside the activity zones.

To be fair, it doesn't detect every vehicle.  Some pass by undetected.  I can't work out what the difference is between the ones that it detects, and the ones that it ignores.

Question - does the camera detect sound as well as motion?

I have now reduced the Motion Sensitivity setting to 4, and I will see if that improves things.

Options
2023-07-31 11:00:46

@docdunning 

Hi,
The Tapo C420 does not detect sound as a motion. You may go to the Camera Settings>Detection&Alerts>AI Detection page to check if you have enabled Person, Pet, or Vehicle Detection. 
Please note that the Activity Zone works for Motion Detection only, and it won't take effect for AI Detection. The AI Detection's activity zone is the full screen.

If the detection types are turned off on the AI Detection page, may I have the video that shows a motion outside the activity zone but be recorded?
You can send me the link to download the video via private message.

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-31 18:07:20

@Solla-topee 

The Tapo C420 does not detect sound as a motion.

OK - thanks for confirming.

You may go to the Camera Settings>Detection&Alerts>AI Detection page to check if you have enabled Person, Pet, or Vehicle Detection. 

I have Person Detection ON, but Pet and Vehicle are both OFF

Please note that the Activity Zone works for Motion Detection only, and it won't take effect for AI Detection. The AI Detection's activity zone is the full screen.

Ah, that's interesting information.

If the detection types are turned off on the AI Detection page, may I have the video that shows a motion outside the activity zone but be recorded?

As I said, I have Person Detection ON.  But the motion outside the zone is a vehicle, and it was detected even on motion sensitivity 4.

I will PM you a link to the video and a screenshot of the activity zones. 

Is there any way to download the video via the app, or do I have to remove the SD card from the hub?

Options
2023-08-01 10:22:36

@docdunning 

Hi,
It's required to remove the SD card from the hub and connect it to your PC to get the video. Or you can use the screen recording feature of your phone to record when watching the video on the Tapo app, and then send me the recordings on your phone.

And I'll wait for the video and the activity zone page for further analysis.

Have a nice day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 931

Replies: 14

Related Articles