The spotlight of Tapo C320WS V2 is permanently on even in bright daylight

2023-07-28 10:21:21 - last edited 2024-01-22 06:34:34
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:
Update on Jan 22, 2024.

The issue that 'the spotlight of Tapo C320WS V2 is permanently on' is solved on the official firmware v 1.0.10 Build 231102 Rel.66223n. 
If your Tapo C320WS V2 encounters such a phenomenon, please try to update the firmware to the latest one.
How to update the firmware of the Tapo&Kasa devices on the Tapo App?

Best Regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Article Applies to:
Tapo C320WS V2

Issue Description/Phenomenon:
Generally, the spotlight on the Tapo C320WS will turn on automatically in the following scenarios:
Case 1. The spotlight turns on temporarily when the camera detects movement at night (dark environment) in Smart Mode (on the Night Mode Settings page).

Case 2. The spotlight turns on permanently when Full Color Mode is selected in the camera's Night Mode Settings page, and the camera selects Night Mode on the Live View page.

However, some customers may encounter the problem that regardless of whether Tapo C320WS has selected Auto, Day Mode, or Night Mode on the Live View page, and regardless of whether the camera has selected Infrared Mode, Full Color Mode, or Smart Mode in the Night Mode Settings, the spotlight of the C320WS V2 will stay on continuously, even in bright daylight.

Suggestion(Update on Oct 20, 2023):

Our developers have provided beta firmware to solve the spotlight stay ON issue, please help provide the following information via private message (send a message to @Solla-topee, make sure you've registered or logged in with your TP-Link ID in our community first) with the format  'Forum ID 616862+ Tapo C320WS V2 + The spotlight of Tapo C320WS V2 is permanently on', and I will send the firmware to your camera.

1) The MAC address of the Tapo C320WS.

2) [Optional] On the Tapo app>Live View page of the Tapo C320WS:
a) Check the camera selects AUTO, Day, or Night mode.
b) Check if the spotlight can be turned off manually by tapping the bulb icon,  and whether there is a countdown on the Live View page and the bulb is turned off after the timer expires. 

3) [Optional] The mode you select on the Tapo C320WS's Camera Settings>Night Mode Settings page.

4) [Optional] If you remove the microSD card from the camera, check if the spotlight will turn off.

Options
13 Reply
Re:The spotlight of Tapo C320WS V2 is permanently on even in bright daylight
2023-08-08 18:00:21

Hey @Solla-topee 

Thanks for your efforts trying to fix this issue.

I have tried the new firmware and it does not work as expected: Spotlight are always on, no matter what I do.

Regards,

Pablo.

Options
2023-08-09 11:44:06

@pablogarcia 

Hi Pablo, 
Our tech team is following up on your case, please help collect detailed information about your problem and reply to the email, and they will help you solve the issue.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-20 09:59:21

@Solla-topee 

Hello, I have the same problem, the light keeps on no matter what I've tried.

Options
2023-08-21 12:09:19

@Bakkertje 

You can try to reset the Tapo C320WS to factory default settings or remove it from the Tapo app, and then reconfigure it, then check if it will work fine.

Options
2023-08-22 17:02:19
Hi I'm new to this forum but I have same issue with spotlights always on. This only started happening after a recent TAPO app update from Playstore. I suspect a bug in the update. Reboots and power down/ power up make no difference. Attempts to switch off the spotlights from the bulb icon in the Brightness feature also cause app lockup.
Options
2023-08-23 10:59:02

@Skibug 

Hi,

Try to remove the camera from the Tapo app to reset it to factory default settings, then reconfigure it and check if the spotlight will work fine.
How to reset my Tapo camera?
How to set up the Tapo camera?
Best Regards

Options
2023-08-27 10:28:57

@Solla-topee 

Tried all that but the light keeps staying on.

Any other solutions?

Solla-topee wrote

@Bakkertje 

You can try to reset the Tapo C320WS to factory default settings or remove it from the Tapo app, and then reconfigure it, then check if it will work fine.

Options
2023-08-28 12:00:05

@Bakkertje 

Hi,

As per this troubleshooting guide, it's recommended to confirm the following information and then send the results to support.forum@tp-link.com with the email title 'Forum ID 616862+ Tapo C320WS V2 + The spotlight of Tapo C320WS V2 is permanently on'  for further help.

1) The MAC address of the Tapo C320WS.

2) On the Tapo app>Live View page of the Tapo C320WS:
a) Check the camera selects AUTO, Day, or Night mode.
b) Check if the spotlight can be turned off manually by tapping the bulb icon,  and whether there is a countdown on the Live View page and the bulb is turned off after the timer expires. 
c) If the spotlight can be turned off manually, will it be back on automatically soon?

3) The mode you select on the Tapo C320WS's Camera Settings>Night Mode Settings page.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-28 05:22:14

@Solla-topee 

The 1.0.8 firmware not only resolved the spotlight permanently on issue, but it also resolved an annoying issue with the recorded event playback being unavailable and live view being unavailable "due to network instability". 

Initially, I thought the firmware bricked my camera as my camera went offline during the download, but after unplugging it and plugging it back in after 5 minutes, I attempted to update the firmware again which resolved the issue. 

Options
2023-10-06 05:08:26

@momoneenja 

Mine has the same issue, spotlight not turning off...

With regards to update, it says my tapo c320ws has Version:1.0.5 Build 230316 Rel.55457n

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2344

Replies: 13

Related Articles