Time limit when streaming away from home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 15:07:01
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.4

So I don't seem to have found any recent threads, but has the 5-minute time limit for streaming the C200 issue being resolved by now? Because this is making it absolutely not useable for me and unless there's a fix, I'm going to have to return all of them...

timeLimit

Thanks.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Time limit when streaming away from home
2023-08-02 07:57:54

@trishia42 

Hi,
About the prompted time limit notice, it's suggested to refer to the detailed info below.
Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

If you want to watch the camera continuously remotely, you can try to open port 554 on your router for the camera, and then try to stream the camera on a computer via RTSP.
How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream?

Best Regards

Options
2023-10-30 06:09:32
same issue with me i am using tapo c210 when viewing camera from hp there is a limitation time. while other cheaper brand looks so easy to use never show up limitation time. tapo/tp link famous brand why make it more difficult for user? it should be more easier for user to use it right? we spent more money on tapo on perhaps something more friendly use also for better viewing.
Options
2023-10-31 08:21:43

@LouisJuin 

Hi, 
If you stream the Tapo camera from an HP computer via RTSP, generally, there is no limitation time. If you encounter this issue on a computer, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1) What app do you use to watch the camera via RTSP?
2) Do you watch the camera on the PC when it's in the same network or in the remote network? Please describe your network diagram in detail.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-09 03:27:26

@Solla-topee 

on computer i am using tapo applications from android emulator sometimes show limitation time but some not. but when i am viewing remotely from phone limitation time always shown every 5 minutes. its really annoying. if u can make it easier why should tp link make more difficult?that is the point. we want friendly apps which is easier for us for viewing. not all user know IT very well. so for next update please remove the limitation time. that is more better.

Options
2023-11-09 08:19:32

@LouisJuin 

Hi,
As you can see in the link below, generally, if you stream the camera with the Tapo app and your phone is in the same network as the camera, you can stream the camera continuously. And the link includes some suggestions if you can't view the camera continuously locally.
Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

However, if your phone and the camera are connected to different Wi-Fi networks, and you stream the camera remotely, the camera live stream needs to be uploaded to the TP-Link Cloud server first and your phone then downloads and plays it. In this situation, continuous live streaming strains your network bandwidth, and it might cause data allowance overages, which is also inconsistent with the advocacy of energy conservation, so there will be a time limitation for the live streaming, and you will be prompted to continue the viewing. 

Thank you very much for your feedback about streaming the camera continuously here, I'll log it and forward it to the related team to evaluate, and we will continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-19 07:07:20 - last edited 2023-11-20 23:14:33

@Solla-topee 

I face the same issue and posted this topic in a different thread. I have Tapo Care annual subscription too.  Please note that even after giving the consent/clicking on CONTINUE button on the timeout message box, it still times out every 5 minutes and that is the issue. This is happening only after updating the firmware to 1.3.9 Build 231019.  In the previous firmware version, when I click on CONTINUE button on the timeout message box it does NOT pop up the timeout message again and again.  So, it looks like the functionality is broken in the new firmware? There is no point of claiming that Tapo supports LIVE STREAMING CONTINUOUSLY and timing out every 5 minutes even after giving the consent to continue LIVE STREAMING continuously.  Please fix the issue at the earliest. 

Also, when the customer is giving the consent to view the streaming continuously, what is worrying you about the customer's broadband network bandwidth and where is the energy conservation coming into the picture? LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOAD ON YOUR CLOUD SERVERS to support the continuous streaming.  Is it part of your internal company strategy to reduce the expenses and avoid scale in/scale out of your streaming servers? Other CAMERA Brands are offering continuous viewing as you may know

Options
2023-11-21 12:02:47

@namo9  you may try to disconnect the internet cable to your router, then the tapo app can only watch the camera via the local connection, then connect the internet cable to the router and check if this tip works.

Options
2023-11-22 13:27:37 - last edited 2023-11-22 13:35:44

Sorry, it is not making sense what you are advising here. The problem is with the REMOTE COINTINUOUS STREAMING using the Tapo Mobile app and that means camera and mobile app using different WIFI networks. Please go thru the problem description thoroughly again as that would avoid round trips and save each others' time.  I repeat, remote Continuous streaming was working fine from the Mobile app till few weeks back. Did you put any eifforts to reproduce the issue first of all from your end or by your engineers? Please do that and am sure that will help you to fix the issue rather shooting in the dark.  

I am very disappointed with the way you are handling this issue without paying attention and not showing any intent to fix it. 

Options