D230S1 Doorbell video call alert not working on iPhone

2023-08-06 20:18:20 - last edited 2023-10-13 10:49:45
Model: Tapo D230S1  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Version 1.1.9 Build 20230602 rel.38756

I have just received my D230S1 and am having problems with the doorbell providing a live ring alert on my phone.

I appreciate that this product has just been launched, and therefore this is likely to be a software bug. However, I have called TP-Link / Tapo support for help twice, but they have been useless and just go though the usual tick-box exercise and then eventually they run out of ideas.

Essentially, after going through the initial setup, everything appears to work fine apart from the live ring feature. Within the App, "Doorbell Video Call" is enabled and, if the App itself if open, then it works - you receive a notification that the doorbell has been pressed, and have the option to enter into a call. Perfect. As soon as you leave the app, (and I mean minimise the app so it is still running in the background, not completely shut down), the notification no longer works.

Surely the whole point of a smart doorbell is that it notifies you (on your phone) when someone is at the door so you can instigate a two-way voice call. And this does work - but only when the App is full screen, so you then can't use your phone for anything else! So effectively it is completely useless for its intended purpose.

I have an iPhone SE2022 running the latest iOS16.5.(c). I have also tried setting it up on an iPhone 13, and have the exact same issue. The firmware has been updated on the hub and the doorbell to the latest versions. The App was updated yesterday.

If you look at Amazon reviews on this product, it appears that others who have bought this product are experiencing the same issue. 

I just wondered if anyone else maybe experiencing the same issues, and/or may have any ideas as to how to proceed? If it is, as I suspect, a software issue, how do we get Tapo to acknowledge this, as using their live chat and phoning technical support isn't getting me anywhere.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:D230S1 Doorbell video call alert not working on iPhone-Solution
2023-08-08 09:47:48 - last edited 2023-10-13 10:49:45

@Super_Genius @adamant055   

Update on Sep 12, 2023.

Hi,
For the Tapo D230, when the Doorbell Video Call feature is enabled on the Tapo app, you will receive a call with the banner to answer the call when someone presses your Tapo D230 and when you open the Tapo app. And when the Tapo app or the phone screen is closed, you will also receive a notification that ringing is different from other detection notifications and be accompanied by a vibration prompt on your phone when someone presses your Tapo D230, and you can press the notification to go to the Tapo app to receive the video call.

If the video call feature doesn't work, you can refer to the steps below to check if the settings on the Tapo app are correct.
1) On the Tapo app>> Doorbell Settings page, please ensure the Doorbell Video Call feature is enabled.
2) On the Doorbell Settings>>Notification page, please confirm the notification feature is enabled.
3) Please refer to the link below to check if your phone settings are correct.
Why can’t I receive notifications after turning on Notifications?

Some customers may have suggestions to improve the Doorbell Video Call feature, please feel free to leave your comments about this feature, we are very welcome and appreciate these suggestions and we will continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:D230S1 Doorbell video call alert not working on iPhone
2023-08-07 10:32:04

@Super_Genius 

Hi,
Generally, when the Tapo app is running in the background of your phone and when someone presses the Tapo doorbell, you will receive a voice call notification the same as the motion/person/etc. detected notification(but the tone is different). You can click on that notification to set up the voice call.

If you don't receive the notification when the Tapo app is running in the background of your phone, please help confirm the following information.
1. On the Doorbell Settings page of the Tapo DS230:
1) Please go to the Doorbell Video Call and ensure this option is enabled.
2) Please go to Detection>Activity Notifications>ensure the Activity Notifications is enabled and the schedule set to Always.

2. On the Tapo app>Home>Message icon at the top right corner>check if you see the Doorbell Video Call notification.

3. Please refer to the link below to check if your phone settings are correct.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-07 10:54:21

@Solla-topee 

Hi @Solla-topee,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you have quite understood my original question. I am not trying to receive a text notification when the doorbell is pressed - rather the phone should ring with a banner to answer the doorbell call. Just like it shows in the picture displayed within the App under "Doorbell Video Call".

This is something which works when the app is open, so why not when the app is running in the background?

With the App open, and with "Doorbell Video Call" enabled, a call alert banner appears when the doorbell is pressed, and stays ringing until it is answered, much like an incoming phone call. You then have the option to answer, and it takes you to a voice call. This is exactly what I would expect the unit to do. It also matches the picture shown within the App.

Tapo have provided this function, and it works if the app is open. So why will it not work when the App is running in the background? Are you suggesting that I can only receive a text based notification? In which case, this is missing the entire point of a smart doorbell which needs to ring (with an option to answer) when the doorbell is pressed.

If this is the case, then I am confused as to why you would provide this feature for when the app is open, but not when it is running in the background.

Are you able to verify this by testing one of your units and let me know if you concur with my experience?

Options
Re:D230S1 Doorbell video call alert not working on iPhone-Solution
2023-08-08 09:47:48 - last edited 2023-10-13 10:49:45

@Super_Genius @adamant055   

Update on Sep 12, 2023.

Hi,
For the Tapo D230, when the Doorbell Video Call feature is enabled on the Tapo app, you will receive a call with the banner to answer the call when someone presses your Tapo D230 and when you open the Tapo app. And when the Tapo app or the phone screen is closed, you will also receive a notification that ringing is different from other detection notifications and be accompanied by a vibration prompt on your phone when someone presses your Tapo D230, and you can press the notification to go to the Tapo app to receive the video call.

If the video call feature doesn't work, you can refer to the steps below to check if the settings on the Tapo app are correct.
1) On the Tapo app>> Doorbell Settings page, please ensure the Doorbell Video Call feature is enabled.
2) On the Doorbell Settings>>Notification page, please confirm the notification feature is enabled.
3) Please refer to the link below to check if your phone settings are correct.

Some customers may have suggestions to improve the Doorbell Video Call feature, please feel free to leave your comments about this feature, we are very welcome and appreciate these suggestions and we will continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-08 11:19:04

@Solla-topee I am having the same problem with Android. Except, the video call doesn't even work when the app is open or closed. Please confirm this is a working/tested feature?

Adam. 

Options
2023-10-12 17:49:14 - last edited 2023-10-12 17:49:48

@adamant055 

Same here.

When the app is closed I only get a notification when someone presses the doorbell instead of receiving a call I can dismiss.

In the advertising is looks like doorbell presses are shown as actual calls which is the reason I actually bought it.

Also no real Google home integration other than showing the Livestream manually on the Google nest hub, no events being available for automations at all

Not that satisfied.

Options
2023-10-12 18:58:05

@Csimmo 

That's terrible.

I'm really considering spending a bit more and getting the Nest Doorbell instead with proper integrations and calls instead.  :(

Options
2023-11-01 10:23:53

I have the same issue on the Android phone, the video call only works when the app is opened. This needs to be looked at and fixed

Options
2023-11-01 11:12:41

@JanH1 It seems that if you can receive a notification on your phone when the tapo app is closed and someone presses your doorbell, you can press that notification to enter the app to receive the video call.

Options
2024-01-11 23:29:00

@Super_Genius 

Same issue on my android phone. 

It's a complete faff to connect when someone presses the doorbell. 

I can see the date you posted, not convinced this will be fixed anytime soon. Think I'll return and get a doorbell that actually works with Amazon and gives a banner when the doorbell is pressed. 

Some serious development is needed on this doorbell. The budget blink doorbell is a better option. 

Options
2024-01-12 14:43:51

@Fun-Wolfy

After much research into alternative products, we opted to keep the Tapo doorbell and live with the quiks until they release a fix / update. The main reason being that we've bought into the Tapo ecosystem, and want to keep everything harmonised in one App.

To be fair, all of the other Tapo products work well and integrate nicely. It's just the doorbell which has this annoying issue when it comes to trying to answer a doorbell ring.

We've got used to the process now - on an iPhone at least, you get an instant "notification" pop-up along with a doorbell ring sound once the doorbell is pressed. You then have to click onto the notification in order to launch the app, and then select the doorbell to be able to initiate a live call. So it does mean that you can at least answer the doorbell, even although it means having to do it a somewhat long-winded way.

What is frustrating is that the feature we all desire does work when the app is open and is physically on screen. It rings just like an incoming phone call with a green "answer" button and a red "hang up" button. But as soon as the app is minimised into background, (or closed), you're stuck with only the notification feature. It's clearly a software issue associated with the app integration, rather than being a hardware issue, but they still haven't released a fix to allow this to function as we would all expect - whereby you can answer the doorbell directly regardless of the phone's current mode of operation.

So I guess it comes down to whether you can live with having to enter the app via. the notification to answer the doorbell for the time being. As to whether they ever do release a fix / update is anyone's guess.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2460

Replies: 12

Related Articles