Tapo Black screen on shared phone after working for six months.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-26 10:22:50 - last edited 2023-09-07 10:21:19
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Tapo has worked really well for six months. Suddenly the shared phone shows a black screen. It shows the icons for the recordings but you only hear the sound. You can take snapshots and video clips from the shared device which are listed in the memory but still black screen with sound. I have uninstalled the software on the master phone and the shared phone. Then reinstalled but the shared phone still has a black screen. The camera has been reset and firmware checked but no change.

When the software was reinstalled it informed me it would only on work on the local network. Fortunately this has proved to be incorrect and I can use it as before from mobile data or alternative Wi-Fi. Lots of threads on black screens but no answers that solved my issue.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo Black screen on shared phone after working for six months.-Solution
2023-09-07 10:20:55 - last edited 2023-09-07 10:30:16

Hello everyone, 

Here are some tips for the black screen issue of the Tapo Cam.

Problem Description:
The Live View page and Playback page of the Tapo Cam is black after the Android phone installs Tapo App 2.17.206 & 2.18.102 or a later version, but you can hear the sound normally.

Suggestions for this issue: 
1. Hold on to the black screen for about 5s, and check if the page is back to normal.
2. Go to the Live View page of the camera, if you see the Tag On feature, tap it to turn it off. 
3. Go to Camera Settings >>Advanced Settings>>Display Settings page, select the Compatible Mode, and check if the problem will be solved.
4. We have a beta Tapo app to solve the problem, if the above tips are not working, send me a private message, and I can provide the beta app for a try.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Tapo Black screen on shared phone after working for six months.
2023-08-28 08:55:29

@Nitramdc 

Hi,
For the black screen issue, please help confirm the following information.

1. What's the model number and OS version of the shared phone? What's the version of the Tapo app installed on the phone?

2. On the shared phone, please go to the Tapo app>>click on the Tapo Cam and go to the Camera Settings>>Advanced Settings>>Display Settings page, select the Compatible Mode, and then check if the problem will be solved. 
If not, please share a picture that shows the black screen issue with us.

3. What's the model number and OS version of your phone? What's the version of the Tapo app installed on your phone? Do you have a black screen on your phone?

Based on the Firmware Release Notes of the Tapo C210 V1, the notes do not show the information that the Tapo cam will work on the local network only. Generally, you will be able to manage the Tapo cam locally and remotely when it connects to the internet successfully.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-28 11:03:02

@Solla-topee The phone is a Cubot R9 / android 7. Currently Tapo 2.17.206 which was upgraded when the problem started then uninstalled and installed afresh. Don't know which version was installed six months ago. 

All camera settings on the shared phone are greyed out so permissions not allowed to check dislplay.

Options
2023-08-29 05:59:37

@Nitramdc 

Hi, 
We have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options
2023-09-01 08:03:26 - last edited 2023-09-01 08:14:19

@Solla-topee 

I also have the exact same problem. The c200 camera works fine, when I go in the camera settings(in Tapo) on my tablet the preview icon shows my cam feed. But I get a black image on live view. Also if i tap and hold on the live feed window, the option to move the window appears and then I can see the camera feed. The problem is with the latest update of the Tapo app.

I'm using an older ALLVIEW Viva_1003G tablet runnning on Android9(and it worked fine until the latest tapo update). 

Options
2023-09-05 10:01:08

@claudiu111 

Hi,
In this case, please try to install the latest Tapo debug app(2.18.102) and test if the black screen issue happens on the new app version. If so, I'll report your case to the tech team to follow up. (I have sent the link to you via private message to download the new Tapo debug app.)
Best Regards

Options
2023-09-05 10:17:58

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the trial app from the link that you sent, then rebooted the tablet but the problem persists. I hope this issue can be solved. In the meantime I'm using rtsp stream.

Options
2023-09-05 12:19:00

@claudiu111 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will contact you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
Re:Tapo Black screen on shared phone after working for six months.-Solution
2023-09-07 10:20:55 - last edited 2023-09-07 10:30:16

Hello everyone, 

Here are some tips for the black screen issue of the Tapo Cam.

Problem Description:
The Live View page and Playback page of the Tapo Cam is black after the Android phone installs Tapo App 2.17.206 & 2.18.102 or a later version, but you can hear the sound normally.

Suggestions for this issue: 
1. Hold on to the black screen for about 5s, and check if the page is back to normal.
2. Go to the Live View page of the camera, if you see the Tag On feature, tap it to turn it off. 
3. Go to Camera Settings >>Advanced Settings>>Display Settings page, select the Compatible Mode, and check if the problem will be solved.
4. We have a beta Tapo app to solve the problem, if the above tips are not working, send me a private message, and I can provide the beta app for a try.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 701

Replies: 8

Tags

Related Articles