Questions about new installation for two smart switches at one location

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-25 22:58:10
Tags: #installation HS200
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version:

I'm getting ready to purchase an install two smart switches.  I've expensively botched one outlet installation 6 months ago, so I'm doing all the research up front for this. 

Question 1: I have two light switches in the same box I want to replace with Kasas.   Assuming the installation goes well and I install them simultaneously, when the Kasa app detects them, will I be able to tell which is which? Or do I have install one, kill the power, and then install the other?

Question 2: I've read enough now to know that neutral wires are inside the box.  I've inspected the existing light switches, and see not only do they not have a neutral wire, they don't have a ground either. I do see a wing nut array of copper wires held together, so I assume those are the grounds.   So, if I'm installing two kasas, can I simply bundle the two white neutral wires from the Kasa with the existing white wires ---- and the same process for the ground?  or do I need to do each switch separately?  

Options
2 Reply
Re:Questions about new installation for two smart switches at one location
2023-09-27 11:41:41

@Big_W 

For safety concerns, if you want to control separate lights independently with two switches, you should ensure that the wires for each light are properly identified and connected to their respective switches.

Each device has a unique Mac address, which can be found on the product label. Smart device broadcast their own WiFi for configuration, and you can match them by comparing the device's WiFi name (E.g. TP-Link Smart Switch ABCD. ) and the last four digits of the Mac address. 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Questions about new installation for two smart switches at one location
2023-09-30 18:39:47

@Wayne-TP 

Thank you for your earlier response.  I've still been researching as well as inspecting the existing wiring for a smooth install.  Here's a follow-up.

One of the switches I'm replacing is a three way switch at this location.. See the picture. I'm trying to identify the line (power) and two traveler wires, and this particular switch doesn't look what I've normally seen from other pictures and diagrams I've been researching. Be advised this switch doesn't have a ground attached, but there is a bundle of exposed copper wires in the electrical box. There is also a bundle of gray (not white) wires in the elecrical box I will assume are neutral wires. Questions:

1. There is a red wire, and beneath it a black wire. Are those the traveler wires?
  2. There is a black wire that is underneath the copper ground wire screw. Is this the line/ power wire?
  3. Also, I assume this is a quick release wire switch setup. There's probably a little notch somewhere on this switch where I can remove the wires?

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 505

Replies: 2

Tags

installation HS200
Related Articles