What can I do if fail to stream the Tapo camera via the RTSP/ONVIF protocol?

2024-01-26 12:23:28 - last edited Friday

Note: currently, some battery-powered cameras, such as Tapo C420, C400, and D230, do not support being viewed via the RTSP/ONVIF stream.

1. If the camera has subscribed to the Tapo Care service and inserted a microSD card, the RTSP stream can’t be established.

2. Check if the configuration on the camera is correct.

The link below includes some basic parameters that need to be configured on the camera.
How can I connect my Tapo camera to a NAS or NVR?

Note: Try to change the camera account(username and password) if they include special characters.

3. Check your network diagram, and confirm if you are streaming the camera locally or remotely.

If you are streaming the camera remotely, more configurations are required on your home network, for example, open port 554 or 2020 on your router for the camera, and find the public wan IP address on your router.

For example, the typical network diagram of streaming a camera via RTSP protocol on a PC locally: 

4. Confirm the detailed phenomenon on the third-party apps/programs.

For example:
1) Third-party apps/programs are used, such as iSpy, VLC, etc.
2) The URL used to stream the camera, for example, rtsp://IP Address/stream1(For high-quality stream1).
3) The error message that appears if there is one.

5. Try to stream the camera on a PC with an iSpy or VLC program. 

How to view Tapo camera on PC/NAS/NVR through RTSP/ONVIF Protocol? 

Note: If several devices watch the camera simultaneously, close the Tapo app, and disconnect other RTSP/ONVIF connections first.

Please reply to this thread or start a new thread with the following information to get further help if the RTSP/ONVIF stream cannot be established. 

1. The results of the above steps.

2. Collect the camera log if possible.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera?

3. The MAC address of your Tapo camera. You can find the MAC address on the camera’s Device Settings>Device Info page, and please send it to me(@Solla-topee) via a private message.

Options
10 Reply
Re:What can I do if fail to stream the Tapo camera via the RTSP/ONVIF protocol?
2024-03-15 08:38:01

@Solla-topee 

It works via Spy but does not via vlc player vith the same ip, etc.

rtsp://my id:my password@192.168.1.104/stream1

Options
2024-03-15 08:46:38
but rtsp://my id:my password@192.168.1.104/stream2 woks
Options
2024-03-15 09:17:05

@Roman_V 

Hi,
Currently, the Tapo cameras support up to 4 simultaneous video streams (two mainstreams with high video quality + two substreams with low video quality), and if the camera has subscribed to the Tapo Care service, it will occupy a mainstream.
In your case, if there is a device steaming the camera via the mainstream(via rtsp://my id:my password@192.168.1.104/stream1 or Tapo app), the other device can only stream the camera via substream(via rtsp://my id:my password@192.168.1.104/stream2 or Tapo app) if you have subscribed to the Tapo Care service.
Best Regards

Options
2024-03-15 13:45:17

@Solla-topee any suggestions here? It found the camera but wont find the URLs

Options
2024-03-18 11:59:48

@ScottyWatty 

Hi,
Please confirm your network diagram first. Is the PC you used to stream the camera connected to the same network as the camera? Can it ping the camera's IP address successfully?
What app/program do you use to stream the camera via ONVIF protocol?
Best Regards

Options
2024-03-20 07:10:57
Hello! The note says "currently, some battery-power cameras, such as Tapo C420, C400, and D230, do not support being viewed via the RTSP/ONVIF stream." Is there an estimated date when those cameras - and I'm specifically looking for the C425, will support this. Thanks!
Options
2024-03-20 11:05:31

@muenzpraeger 

Hi,
We do not have any specific details that I can share about if this feature can come to the product or when it might, it's recommended to post your request in the Feature Request section, and I'll log it and forward it to the relevant team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options
2024-03-27 19:40:02

@Solla-topee I can't connect my camera via the white address in the gipsy program. I've tried all the instructions 

rstp://id:password@188.114.213.101:554/stream1

http://id:password@188.114.213.101:2020/onvif/device_service

Options
2024-03-28 07:12:27

@vladislavkit 

Hi,
The IP address 188.114.213.101 is a public IP address rather than a private IP address, is it the IP address of the router that the camera connects to? Please describe your network diagram and usage scenario in detail for further assistance.
Please note that if you want to stream the Tapo camera remotely via RTSP/ONVIF, you need to open port 554/2020 on the front router for your camera first.

Best Regards

Options
Wednesday

@Mikel26x 

Hi,

Please describe your network diagram. 

Is the PC installed with the VLC player and the camera connected to the same router? What's the IP address of the PC, and can it ping the camera's IP address successfully?

Best Regards

Options