Tapo C520WS line crossing triggered by tree shadows

2024-03-04 18:51:00
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6

Hello, my camera has lots of false detections when using line crossing method due to the shadows of the trees in my street. I think detection should be smart enough to avoid this. Can't we have a sensitivity level?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Tapo C520WS line crossing triggered by tree shadows
2024-03-05 11:40:25

@Pauliver 

Hi,
Please help confirm the following information about the reported case.

1. On the camera's Device Settings>Detection page, please send me a picture of it. Then go to the Line-Crossing Detection page and send me a picture of it.
There is no sensitivity option for the Line-Crossing Detection feature.

2. Can you share a video showing the trees' shadows trigger the Line-Crossing Detection feature to work?

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-05 13:29:48

@Solla-topee sure, I'll upload all these things you require.

Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lew_5-ONHuBjeDAL_DvEy_UYRmPbJqrH/view?usp=drivesdk

Options
2024-03-06 09:22:36

@Pauliver 

Hi,
If you want to use the Line-Crossing Detection feature to notify you when someone/something crosses the line to protect your home security, you may disable the Line-Crossing Detection and enable the motion detection feature, set the activity zone, and set the sensitivity to three or below, then check if the new configurations will work better.

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-18 14:16:50

@Solla-topee hey, after a few days of testing your recommendations, I'm still getting false positives, even when setting the sensitivity to just 1. I think in my case the solution would be that Tapo enables the ability to set a detection zone for person detection.

Options
2024-03-19 10:34:42

@Pauliver 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your attempt and feedback about the person detection feature, I'll log it and forward it to the relevant team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options
2024-08-08 04:16:19 - last edited 2024-08-08 04:19:45

Hi @Pauliver and @Solla-topee, I have arrived to this topic in lieu of the same experience.

I also don't agree motion tracking is a plausible solution, at least not one that I can make 'workable'.

Reliable line-crossing capability is likely within the app, albeit the app requires a little expanding. That is, it would be great for me as the user to have the option of Line Crossing AND (Person Detected OR Pet Detected) for a 'line-crossing notification', not just line crossing on it's own. One potential method to achieve this could be by adding an option into the Line-Crossing Detection settings, such as:

Additional detection:

1. Person Detected (toggle on or off)
  2. Pet Detected (toggle on or off)

so that Line Crossing Detection triggers based on any one or more of the additional AI based triggers the user selects. If the additional options are all off, the app then works just as it does now.

Currently, I am attempting this in a non-elegant way, using two old Kasa HS100 switches:

1. When a Person Detected or Animal Detected one HS100 switch is turned on for 30 seconds (because people walking is typically seen before line-crossing)
  2. When line-crossing is detected the other HS100 is turned on for 10 seconds.
  3. I use Home Assistant to provide me the "line-crossing notification' when both HS100 switches are ON, motion tracking then also turned on to follow the person to my front door. 

I am waiting for more data before knowing if this setup works reliably, but hoping TAPO can embed combined Line-crossing with Person / Animal detection as part of its functionality.

Options
2024-08-08 11:28:24

@jdee 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your suggestion, I'll record it and forward it to the relevant team for evaluation.
Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago
I have the same problem caused by car lights that activate line crossing detection. As other member said, line crossing should only be activated after people or animal detections.
Options
a week ago

I am also experiencing this with car headlights at night.

Options
a week ago

Also for me, this is an issue with car headlights at night casting shadows and also for when the line crosses a reflective window (car parked in driveway) and the reflection moves across the line.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 676

Replies: 10

Related Articles