Tapo C200 motion recording delay when offline

2024-03-16 15:25:50 - last edited 2024-03-16 18:27:31
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

Motion detection recording behaves incorrectly when the device is blocked from accessing the internet.

When recording solely to the internal storage, the time between motion and recording start is severely delayed when the device is offline. I am not sure why this is, in both situations the camera should be doing all the processing on device. It is almost like a desynchronization between motion and recording that only happens when the camera is offline.

I am not the only person experiencing this issue so I suspect it may be a firmware bug that should be fixed if brought to the attention of the firmware maintainers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TpLink/comments/19d24ru/tapo_camera_lag_in_motion_detection_when

Having the device offline only is a desired use case for some including myself. It greatly reduces the attack vector by sacrificing remote access, limiting to local access only.

Please may someone at TP-Link diagnose this issue and submit a firmware update to make detection recording consistent no matter if you are online or offline?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 motion recording delay when offline
2024-03-18 09:53:12

@John3 

Hi,
Please note that the Tapo camera needs an internet connection to sync with the NTP server to obtain the correct time and date.
In this situation, can you share a video showing the reported case for further analysis?
Best Regards

Options
2024-03-18 10:09:48

@Solla-topee thanks for the reply!

I actually found that out yesterday and reported my findings to the other person experiencing the same issue as me.

I believe this is an issue with the firmware, even without correct time, detection recording doesn't record motion correctly. You would expect with incorrect time the camera would simply report the incorrect time of the recording in the timeline and still record the motion correctly, this is not the case and instead it fails to record the motion correctly and starts the recording too late after motion has happened.

Ideally this would be investigated and resolved so that detection recording still functions, albeit with incorrect recording time reported. Nonetheless having an option to set a custom NTP server would also be great for extended offline use as a local NTP server could be used.

Options
2024-03-19 08:06:31

@John3 

Hi,
For the reported case, please help confirm the following information.
1. What's the model number, capacity, and format of the SD card inserted into the camera?

2. Whether every detection video recording have the same issue when the camera has no internet access?

3. Can you share a video showing the reported case?

Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

I managed to resolve the issue myself by setting up a custom DNS server and rewriting the cameras NTP DNS lookups with a custom NTP server I hosted locally, allowing the cameras to get the current time all while being restricted from the internet.

My cameras updated today. I noticed a feature added which allows setting a static IP address and even a custom DNS server. Unfortunately it seems the cameras no longer do NTP DNS lookups. Have TP-Link made the NTP IPs hard coded now or do they no longer use NTP and instead use a propriety way of determining the time via the TP-Link API?

The addition of static a IP and DNS option was appreciated, however it is useless to me unless I can rewrite the NTP server using my own DNS.

Please may another update be made to add an additional option to the static IP options which allows providing a custom NTP server by either domain or IP address?

My cameras no longer have accurate time as I am unable to connect them to the wider internet post setup.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee I was wrong. After the update the devices still use NTP but the NTP domain lookups don't respect the DNS set in the Advanced > Network Settings. The cameras don't even seem to respect the DHCP broadcasted DNS anymore, they are using the router gateway as a DNS, which fortunately I have a DNS server running on my router however it is not broadcast in any way so it is very strange that the cameras would decide to use it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 157

Replies: 5

Related Articles