Tapo c212 motion tracking Blurry video

2024-04-04 16:06:53 - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C212  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

@TP-Link  @Solla-topee @Wayne-TP i have installed Tapo c212 and noticed that when the camera is still (motion tracking off) it records video properly and video quality is great but if motion tracking is on, when it tracks any person or object it creates pixelation/Articfacts in the video which makes everything blurry and even from very close to the camera you can't recognise a person or an object.

check this video i made side by side comparison- 

https://youtu.be/5FV2LZI3spA

Note- After tracking stops video again looks good, only during camera rotation it looks blurry.

(Sample photo attached below)

I tried 2k resolution with highest frame rate (Also tried other fps n resolution settings) but it's always the same. This is very annoying as you can't see any moving object/person properly.

Note- I did some research and found this issue exists in other models of Tapo camera as well

Please fix this issue if possible by firmware update, i think it can be fixed by calibrating camera focus speed or Motor rotation speed.

In my other security camera from other brands i didn't face this issue. They maintain consistency in both still video and during motion tracking recording.

Tapo vs Ezviz vs Xiaomi camera motion tracking video comparison- https://youtu.be/5FV2LZI3spA

Thankyou and Hoping for a fix♥️

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo c212 motion tracking Blurry video-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Update on April 16, 2024.

Hi,
Generally, when a camera's motor rotates or a motion occurs in front of the camera, it generates more image data, requiring more computational resources to capture, process, and transmit the images, therefore, the image quality may be affected.

It's recommended to provide the following information to the tech team if you need further assistance on this phenomenon.
1. The model number and MAC address of the camera.
2. The settings(such as the Video Quality and Frame Rate) of the camera.
3. A video showing the problem.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
21 Reply
Re:Tapo c212 motion tracking Blurry video-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Update on April 16, 2024.

Hi,
Generally, when a camera's motor rotates or a motion occurs in front of the camera, it generates more image data, requiring more computational resources to capture, process, and transmit the images, therefore, the image quality may be affected.

It's recommended to provide the following information to the tech team if you need further assistance on this phenomenon.
1. The model number and MAC address of the camera.
2. The settings(such as the Video Quality and Frame Rate) of the camera.
3. A video showing the problem.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo c212 motion tracking Blurry video
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Thankyou for replying.

I do understand that while camera rotates it has to do some additional work but as i have used and reviewed many security cameras, i never encountered any camera to be this blurry.

For better understanding I made a side by side comparison video of Tapo vs other brand camera.

Video link- https://youtu.be/5FV2LZI3spA

kindly watch it on large screen, on Mobile screen you won't see much.

As you can see in video other cameras are quick and not blurry both in day and night mode condition. But tapo is blurry both in night and day mode.

From 2mp models to 4mp Tapo camera models. All have this issue.

I hope it gets fixed soon

Options
3 weeks ago

@RajibPaul 

Hi,
First of all, thank you for the comparison video, but because the usage scenarios and environments of these cameras in the video are not exactly the same, the comparison results are not completely reliable. Secondly, the video shows Tapo C210 but your camera model is Tapo C212. it's appreciated if you could provide a video from your Tapo C212 to further analyze the problem if possible.
Best Regards

Options
3 weeks ago

@RajibPaul 

Yes, this is common issue in tapo camera. 

It's due to reduction in bitrate during motion. It's annoying, only tapo camera have this issue.

Pari
Options
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Kindly check out this video i made Tapo c212 vs Xiaomi 360 2k camera...Watch on large screen for better understanding.

https://youtu.be/zMBNHSPx9gU

Options
2 weeks ago

@SillyPari Yes i have collected multiple samples from 2mp to 4mp Tapo cameras...All has the same issue. Even the cheapest camera that i own(Cp plus e24a) which costs 1/3 the price of tapo that has better motion tracking quality than this. No bluriness at all.

Options
2 weeks ago

@RajibPaul 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. The video feed of the Tapo C212 becomes pixelated and blurry when any motion happens, not necessarily if the camera is moving, but when a person is moving for example. The video quality is terrible when there is any motion.

Options
2 weeks ago

@echamakiotis Bro can you share some clips of your camera? Initially i was sad thinking my unit has some hardware issue but not after knowing from you i am little relaxed 🙃

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

(@RajibPaul) [@Solla-topee]

Attaching some samples to clearly shows this Artefact Pixelation issue on C220 during motion. 

Likely due to reduction in bitrate.

Night Sample : https://drive.google.com/file/d/17q-OxyQXiI4VKpbdVY0UbMtIdzr_5eZy/view?usp=drivesdk

Day Sample : https://drive.google.com/file/d/17mi-Q5HXLTAKcifgXO4cg5MFgbcx-qTE/view?usp=drivesdk

Thumbnails : 

Pari
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 804

Replies: 21

Related Articles