Cannot view event that has just been recorded or is being recorded

2024-07-04 22:41:20

The Tapo app has a serious flaw. I have my Tapo camera set to record continously to a microSD card motion detection alerts activated. An intruder just walked in front of my camera for about 2 seconds. I got the notification on my phone and immediately checked the camera's live feed in the Tapo app, but unfortunately the intruder had already stepped out of the camera's view. To see what had triggered the notification, I go into "Playback & Download". The "Detected Events" list shows the event at the top of the list, with timestamp 19:45:58. I tap the event to play it, and the timeline's playback cursor jumps back 18:48:42. Every time I tap the event at 19:45:58, the playback cursor jumps back to 18:48:42 for no reason. You can even see it jumps back to a point before the last 6 events. This makes no sense. Even if I manually try to scroll the timeline, I still cannot view the event that has just been recorded or that is currently (still) being recorded. It seems the camera is busy recording and it can't record and play at the same time, maybe? I had to wait several minutes before the camera would let me play the last recorded event, and then it was too late: The intruder had already taken my bicycle. Luckily the intruder was my wife, but you get the idea:

1. Users should be able to view the last recorded event immediately. If the app has to wait serveral minutes, it's too late.
  2. The timeline playback position should not jump back a random time position, this is probably a bug.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot view event that has just been recorded or is being recorded
2024-07-05 12:11:58

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
1. It's unable to view the detection video while it's being saved to the SD card, so it's normal to go to the camera's Live View page if you click on the notification immediately after receiving it. However, the saving process usually doesn't last for several minutes. The time to save the detection video is related to many factors, such as the camera's working mechanism, the read/write speed of the SD card, etc. For the reported issue, please confirm:
1)  The model number and MAC address of the specific camera. You can send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address via a private message.
2) The model number and capacity of the SD card.

2. Does the jump issue only occur when there is a detection video being saved, or do you experience this when trying to view any specific video clip?

Best Regards

Options
2024-07-05 20:53:22 - last edited 2024-07-05 20:57:06

Solla-topee wrote

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
1. It's unable to view the detection video while it's being saved to the SD card, so it's normal to go to the camera's Live View page if you click on the notification immediately after receiving it. However, the saving process usually doesn't last for several minutes. The time to save the detection video is related to many factors, such as the camera's working mechanism, the read/write speed of the SD card, etc. For the reported issue, please confirm:
1)  The model number and MAC address of the specific camera. You can send me(@Solla-topee) the MAC address via a private message.
2) The model number and capacity of the SD card.

2. Does the jump issue only occur when there is a detection video being saved, or do you experience this when trying to view any specific video clip?

Best Regards

My device's details are:

Model: Tapo C110
S/N: (sent via PM)
MAC ID: (sent via PM)
microSD card capacity: 128 GB
microSD card model: this one

The jumping back issue happens only when I try to view a video that is currently being saved, and it also happens if I try to slide the time line past the present time. The amount of time it jumps seems to be between 5 and 6 minutes.

I have just been doing a little more testing which should shed more light on the issue:

1. Enable continuous recording.

2. Walk in front of the camera and move around to triggere motion detection event.

3. Once notification arrives, open Tapo app > (Camera being tested) > Playback & Download > Playback page.

4. Tap the event that is currenlty being recorded to attempt to watch it.

Expected behaviour: If the video cannot be watched, the timeline should not jump (it should stay wherever it was), and the app should show a warning saying "recording in progress, please wait", otherwise there isn't enough information for the user to understand why the video cannot be viewed.

Observed behaviour: Timeline jumps back a seemingly random amount of time (can be over 30 minutes, and it always jumps back to the same point). The app does not let the user know that recording is in progress, which contradicts the POLA (a UX term that stands for "Principle Of Least Astonishment").

5. While still standing and moving in front of the camera, exit Playback page.

6. Re-enter Playback page.

7. Tap the event that is still being recorded.

Observed behaviour: Now the first few seconds of event that is still being recorded can be watched (for example maybe the first 5 seconds).

8. Do not exit the Playback page (this step is very important).

9. Step out of camera to stop triggering motion detection event recording.

10. Wait a little while to ensure recroding is not in progress (for example, wait 60 seconds).

Expected behaviour: I would expect to be able to watch the entire event, since I have allowed enough time to pass for recording to complete.

Observed behaviour: I can still only watch the first 5 seconds. The event duration, which is indicated in the bottom-left corner of the event thumbnail, still says "0:05".

8. Now exit Playback page and re-enter it.

Observed behaviour: The event duration in the bottom-left corner of the thumbnail has been updated (e.g. now it says "1:06") and the full event can be played back.

Conclusion: From these tests it seems the main problem is the Playback page does not refresh automatically. Instead, it requires users to manually refresh it by exiting and re-entering. Ideally this page should be refreshed automatically.

There is one more issue related to the jumping back:

1. Enable continuous recording.

2. Open Playback page.

3. Slide timeline left until the playback position is in the future. For example, if the present time is 22:05:18, slide the timeline to 24:00:00 (the future).

Expected behaviour: Playback should jump back to the most recent playable point in the timeline and play from there, and keep playing as more recorded video is appended.

Observed behaviour: Timeline jumps back several 5~6 minutes. For example, if the time now is 22:00, the timeline will jump back to 21:54. As long as you don't leave the Playback page, the timeline will always jump back to 21:54, even if you wait one hour. However, if you exit and re-enter the Playback page, the jump-back time is updated. For example if you exit and re-enter the Playback page at 22:30, now it will jump back to 22:24 (22:30 - 6 minutes), and so on. This is annoying especially if you are trying to get very close to the end of the timeline (the most recent point), becasue it is impossible to know when you are past the "cannot watch" point, but if you drag the timeline past that point it will jump back 6 minutes and then you have to start over again.

Conclusion: This problem is related to the previous one, and again we see the Playback page fails to update automatically, and the user is required to manually refresh the page by exiting and re-entering.

The explanation is a little long but I think the app developers should be able to understand the problem quickly. Let me know if anything isn't clear, thanks! 😀

Options
2024-07-08 08:14:11

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
Thank you for your cooperation and attempts. The tech team was made aware of your issue, and they will contact you via email to continue the troubleshooting. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options