C200 errors and disappears from app immediately after adding

2024-07-21 09:42:27 - last edited 2024-07-22 08:38:20
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.4

I've added this camera to my IoT network which does not have internet access. I am able to complete setup and see the stream, but changing any settings causes an error and as soon as I exit the camera screen it disappears from the app.

Is this a bug or does this camera require a constant internet connection to function? In that case I'll be returning it.

Options
5 Reply
Re:C200 errors and disappears from app immediately after adding
2024-07-22 08:42:29

@pepithefox 

Hi,
Since the Tapo C200 connects to a Wi-Fi network without internet access, you can only access it when your phone connects to the same Wi-Fi network. It may be you are connected to another Wi-Fi network on your phone or using mobile data thus you can't see the camera on the Tapo app.

What settings do you want to configure on the camera, and what error message appears? Please note that the features related to the internet won't work on the camera since it has no internet connection.

Best Regards

Options
2024-07-22 09:57:26

@Solla-topee thanks for the information, however

On my initial attempt my phone connected to the main WiFi and configuration failed. I then connected to the IoT wifi which managed to complete configuration and see the stream and turn the led on or offf. But for example trying to create a local account in advanced settings results in "Failed. Please try again." When I then back out to the home screen there is no sign of the camera at all. I did the setup again with the same results.

Eventually I temporarily enabled internet access to the IoT network and was able to complete setup. I'm now able to use onvif as I wanted. But after disabling internet access again the camera shows as offline, even when I connect to the same network.

So in short, without internet access the camera completely disappears from the app after setup. With internet access setup completes, but the camera reports as offline when disabling internet access afterwards, even when on the same network.

Options
2024-07-23 08:31:17

@pepithefox 

Hi, 
After you complete setting up the camera with an internet connection and then disable the internet access, please check if your camera still obtains an IP address from your router. If so, write down the IP address, connect your phone to the same network, and check if you can ping the camera's IP address successfully.
Best Regards

Options
2024-07-23 10:05:11

@Solla-topee the camera is working perfectly with Home Assistant so it's definitely connected to the network, and can indeed be pinged from even the main network.

I did discover that if you completely disable cellular data the app can find the camera and everything works as it should.

So I think there are two problems with your app:

If you complete setup on a network without internet access the camera doesn't get added correctly.

If you are connected to a network without internet access the app incorrectly uses cellular to try and reach the camera instead of the WiFi connection.

Options
2024-07-24 10:15:15

@pepithefox 

Hi,
The problem you mentioned may be related to the settings you configured for the Tapo app on your phone.
1. When you configure the camera on a network without internet access, the camera is not bound to the TP-Link account, and it can only be accessed when your phone connects to the same Wi-Fi. If your phone uses mobile data rather than a Wi-Fi connection, the camera will disappear from the Tapo app.
2. When you configure the camera on a network with internet access, the camera is bound to the TP-Link account after configuration, so it will show offline when losing internet connection, and when you access it by mobile data.
3. Use the iPhone as an example, when you go to the Settings>Tapo app>Wireless Data page, if you select WLAN only, the Tapo app can use Wi-Fi only rather than mobile data. If you have selected WLAN&Celluar, the Tapo app will use the network with an internet connection usually.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 161

Replies: 5

Related Articles