Multiple WIFI networks

Multiple WIFI networks

Multiple WIFI networks
Multiple WIFI networks
2024-03-18 07:58:31 - last edited 2024-07-05 09:10:54
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have one camera C500 which I've set up on my mobile wifi network. Sometimes I travel and take the mobile router with me. I've installed an SD card so that it can record without the network. Is it possible for other people living there to use their mobile hotspot to control the device (eg turn it on privacy mode) when I am not there?

Ideally I would like the camera to be controllable on multiple wifi networks.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multiple WIFI networks-Solution
2024-03-19 06:15:15 - last edited 2024-07-05 09:10:54

@Cameratime 

Tapo camera can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time, just like the smartphone.

If you leave the mobile router there, people who have access to your TP-Link account can view and control the camera locally through Tapo App when their phone connects to this mobile WiFi. Remote control is not possible as this WiFi does not connect to the internet.

When the source WiFi is gone, this camera is no longer accessible unless the source WiFi comes back, or you can reset and configure the camera to another WiFi.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple WIFI networks-Solution
2024-03-19 06:15:15 - last edited 2024-07-05 09:10:54

@Cameratime 

Tapo camera can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time, just like the smartphone.

If you leave the mobile router there, people who have access to your TP-Link account can view and control the camera locally through Tapo App when their phone connects to this mobile WiFi. Remote control is not possible as this WiFi does not connect to the internet.

When the source WiFi is gone, this camera is no longer accessible unless the source WiFi comes back, or you can reset and configure the camera to another WiFi.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Multiple WIFI networks
2024-07-04 06:35:25

@Wayne-TP 

This is very pathetic that reputed company like TPLink don't have feature/facility to changing the WiFi N/W/HotSpot/AP "WITHOUT RESETING the device".

@Cameratime  I have similar kind of problem. I also travel and wanted to take this camera with me, basically I want to use this camera at two different locations/places (I want to keep surveillance on my car, since someone is doing scratching during night time, and I want to find it out)  So I bought Tapo C500 on 27/06/24, but when I received this device during setup I found out that, once it setup with one WiFi, it doesn't have this 'Changing WiFi AP' feature. Since I use two different WiFi routers at these two different places. So now because of this pathetic inability of TPLink cameras, I left with only two options, either I have to purchase new camera (which definitely I will never go with TPlink again and never recommend this brand to anyone in future ever), or I have to use it by RESETTING and SETTING again and again whenever I travel between these two places.

Now I am badly regretting to purchase this Tapo C500 and spend almost 1K more that other similar kind of WiFi cameras which have this feature and plenty of other features.

I really wanted to return this pathetic device but until I found out this camera deficiency, return window got closed. It's very sad. Now I have to RESET this device every time I want to connect to new WiFi.

Other low cost Chinese cameras and Clones and even my old purchase of V380Pro also have this feature to change WiFi network for camera at any point (once you setup). using their very user friendly App. Unlike this TPLink Tapo which only shows name of Hotspot/network to which camera is connected, no facility to change it from there. In V380 Pro there is no need to open screws and press RESET button and then setup it again. You just need to go to V380 Pro App. Select your already setup camera and by going into settings you can connect to any other WiFi available at that time.

But this reputed company TPLink just disappointed me with their inflexibility of software.

@Wayne-TP "....Tapo camera can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time, just like the smartphone..........."

This is not a proud thing that you should boast about your company in the name of Security feature. Software should be flexible, and if you take more bucks from customers than other cheap companies then you should at least honestly provide that quality of features.

If you add this kind of features in future firmware upgrades it is well and good otherwise all the best with your business.

Options
2024-07-05 09:10:31

@celeritas_216 

Thank you for your feedback. You may vote for this feature request post and share your thoughts there. Need to change Wifi SSID without resetting the Cameras

Options
2 weeks ago

@Cameratime this seems to be a pretty basic but important requirement now a days. I have 2 WiFi connections at home and main one is down ... all my cameras are offline now. Is Tapo expecting customers to reset all cameras and connect to another network? thats pretty lame.

Please have this prioritized. Camera should be able to switch to another preconfigured wifi itself 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 840

Replies: 4

Related Articles