Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-10 02:24:43 - last edited 2022-04-15 06:38:36
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 build 20190617 Rel. 47476

Today I got Gigabit internet installed, but when doing speedtests I only get 450 to 650 speeds.  Is there any cap on the Deco M5 that needs to be enabled or any setting that needs to be enabled? I thought the M5 could function at Gigabit internet speeds. My PC is hardwired from the modem to Deco M5 to 8-port gigabit switch to my PC.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5-Solution
2021-12-01 06:01:49 - last edited 2022-04-15 07:15:19

@GLA0162 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Since the original post was a little old, there are several versions of firmware that have been released to optimize the performance.

Not sure if the previous users still had the same issue.

If you do not mind, it is suggested to start a new thread .

In the meanwhile, there are some common suggestions shared our users:

1. Please check the QoS settings on the Deco APP and make sure it is disabled or set to 1000/1000 m/s.

2. If it is only satellite units couldn't reach 1000m/s, please have a look at this link:Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?

3. If you are on wireless connection, please make sure you are next to main Deco and turn off the 2.4ghz on the Deco APP and test again on the devices.

For more details about speedtest, please refer the following links:

Deco LAN speed is capped to 100m/s

Troubleshooting: Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Thank you.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
19 Reply
Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-08-12 18:52:15

@RogerH 

Hi Roger,

it really depends.  1st cables need to be rated at 10/100/1000 or Gigabit.  The cable between the modem form your provider to the base unit espcially.  if its rated lower you of course will not get gigabit speeds.  With you listing 450 and 650 i do not think that is an issue.  he Theoretical maximum of the 5GHz in this router is 867 Mbps and for 2.4GHz it is 400 Mbps.  This is where the AC1300 comes from.  So on wireless even if you are in a prefect enviroment you will not see Gigabit speeds.  The speed is dependent on the adapter in the device connecting to the network.  Like our Deco, each adapter has a maximum theoretical connection rate.  In testing we saw an average of 600-700 mbps on 5GHz.  on 2.4GHz about 150-200 Mbps.  A good rule of thumb with wireless is cut the connection rate in 1/2 to get your internet speed rate.  If your connection rate is 1000 Mbps then network speeds will be around 500 Mbps.  While you are likely to see a bit more than half, depending on the device you should at the very least get the 50%.  This is true with any router, as connection rates always depend on the capablities of the router and of the client device. 

Wired should absolutely get 1 Gbps though.

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-08-12 18:57:36

Thx Carl for the reply, but my PC is hardwired from the modm to Deco M5 to 8-Port gigabit switch to my PC and not using wifi. I get 766 when doing a internet speed test in the Deco app.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-08-14 00:00:41

@RogerH 

Ok, I missed that in the frist message, sorry about that.  I would start with removing the switch.  Any time there is a device added to the chain it can create a potential lag point.  with in that device or the cable that connect it to the next on in the chaing.  After that another thing to look at is cable legnth.  If you for instance are using a 10-foot cable but only need a 3-foot cable you are bassically sending your data through 7-feet of unneeded cable.  This can also be a potential lag point for your data.  

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-08-14 17:48:16

Thx Carl, I will perform some these troubleshooting steps.  I also have internet provider coming out on Friday to test the connection and will report back.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-08-23 18:19:43 - last edited 2019-08-23 18:21:06

Ugh- network expert here. There is absolutely no difference in using a 3 foot vs 10 foot cable. Nor will removing an ethernet switch have any impact on speed performance.

Are there any actual network experts from TP Link on this forum?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-08-28 00:03:49

@starmanj 

Actually yes there. and cable legnths and extra devices can cause potential issues.  You are correct in a theoretical sense the use a 3-foot and 10-foot cable should be the same, I used those legnths as an example by the way as we do not know the legnth that Roger is using.  However the longer data travels the more susceptible it is to external interference sources, such as lamps, TVs and other major appliances.  Also the longer a cable the more likely you to have damage which can also affect performance.  

As for the switch it can absolutely cause network performance issues.  Any time you route data through another device it takes longer for the data to reach your client device or the router and the internet.  you are also adding additonal cable segments which as already described above have potential to cause issues.  The frist rule in networking is to always check the phyiscal frist.  So check the cables remove the switch and move on from there.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Not getting gigabit speed with Deco M5
2019-09-09 18:31:01 - last edited 2019-09-09 20:34:37

I'm having a similar problem, just had Google Fiber installed this past weekend.

With my PC plugged into the Google Fiber router, I get 800-900 up and down.

With my PC plugged into my switch and the Google router plugged into the switch, I get the same performance.

With my Deco M5 plugged in the Google router and into the switch, I get 200 down and 11 up. (Google router not plugged into switch.)
I've tried swapping out the patch cables with brand new 3ft Cat 6 cables. I've rebooted everything. And these numbers stick.

All other devices are unplugged from the switch and no wifi decives are streaming during these tests.

The Deco's speedtest shows 888 up and 530 down. I've even swapped out which Deco port goes to the router and which one goes to the switch.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the M5?

Also, I have tried turning Deco antivirus options off and I have tried swapping M5's as Main Deco to no avail.
Also, bypassing the switch and plugging the PC directly into the Deco also gives me 200 down and 11 up.

Interesting observation is the hard wired speed pretty much equals the best wifi speed I get from the main Deco on my phone standing next to it. 200/11

Options
2019-09-15 14:39:52

@CramNevets @RogerH 

Since we're not getting any assistance from tp-link, which appears to be the norm throughout these forums, I decided I was going to reset the entire system and start from scratch in the hopes that would help. So, I began doing screenshots of all my settings when I came to the QOS section, which I don't use (and don't remember using, but I must have initially). There I see the Total Bandwidth which displays the Down/UP numbers I've seen speed testing my main Deco. Under Edit, I see this was set using a speed test. I used Custom and put in 1000/1000 and lo and behold, angels appeared in my mudroom, singing and blowing trumpets. In addition, I now have gigabit speeds on my wired devices and exceptional speed (300/300) on my wireless ones.

I hope this works for you. I'm very disappointed that tp-link doesn't provide adequate support.

Now to figure out why I can get IPv6 connections on everything except 2 of my PCs.

Options
2019-12-14 21:03:04
CramNevets for the win! Router pulling d/ls at almost twice anything LAN side, when I would reboot I could get LAN side speeds equal to WAN for about 2 minutes before they would limit. Turned out to be QoS, once I reset that to service limit all was good again.
Options
2020-01-16 13:02:28
Hey this was my issue a few days ago. Super annoying it was limiting me to 200/10.. After changing it everything appears to be fine, but I'd really like to completely disable QOS.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 20134

Replies: 19

Related Articles