Spectrum 400 Plus best set up without sacrifice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-03 00:40:25 - last edited 2022-03-24 02:12:20
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just last week I got what I assume to be the latest version from Costco the M9 +3 pack and did the firmware updates on all three units. 

First off our house is 1800 ft.² two floors and only one bedroom has a problem on 2nd floor so we had some things hard wired into our old router which now we do not have enough input plugs, so what product is recommended to have at least five direct lan input connections for this model. 

Also spectrum did not recommend removing their router and just using the hubs but I read somewhere I would be forfeiting some of the security features which was one of the main reasons I purchased this system.

what is the optimal way to set this particular system up without losing features? 

I have been researching miss hubs for the last year and has a very technical person I kept landing back on TP link and assumed this was the best system for our home with price not really being an option or concern.  I have been researching mesh hubs for the last year and as a very technical person I kept landing back on TP link and assumed this was the best system for our home with price not really being an option or concern Thanks in advance  The more detailed the response the better .

I’d also like to have the app dialed in with every feature and option optimize so any advice on that as well would be greatly appreciated!

WI-Fi Speed Junkie, Destroyer of Dead-Spots & Latency.
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Spectrum 400 Plus best set up without sacrifice -Solution
2019-09-03 23:49:34 - last edited 2022-03-24 02:12:31

@The-Burro_1. 

If you are looking for a switch to connect to your Deco, you can go for either the TL-SG1008D or the TL-SG108. Those are 8 port switches so after wiring one to the Deco you will have 7 available.

If you use the Deco in Access Point mode it does disable most features, but the mesh network or having just one network you connect to still works. Here is a FAQ about AP Mode: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

You should be able to have the Deco in router mode, while connected to another router.

If the spectrum device you are using is a all in one or is a modem and a router, you can check with the ISP if it is possible to disable the "router" aspect of the device so it is just a modem, and it will pass the internet connect directly to the Deco. I'd say if you notice your speed is not performing up to par, this may be one of the variables to look at.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-06-24 06:13:20 - last edited 2022-03-24 02:12:20
would be the wrong idea to boost up your internet speed, using the router mesh! The router mesh is good for dead spots, but not for the speed. You wouldn’t get 400 mbps on the wireless router mesh unless you connect them with wired Ethernet cable in a daisy chain configuration. Maximum speed out of 400 mbps, you’ll get approximately 220 mbps. The only time you can get up to that speed with Deco M9 plus, if you disconnect the other two access points and just leave the main router that is directly connected to the modem, then connect to the router’s 5 ghz channel. Otherwise you won’t get the full speed, while all three routers are connected. You should have bought the TP-Link Archer AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router, with $100 off promo. In the end, I’ll tell you what, the router mesh is not doing any good, because as the assess points extend their range farther from the main router, the speed drops down to the same speed as if you had a single router. Up closer to the router you’ll have a higher speed and farther from the router lower speed. This theory is evident in the case of both. Single router and router/WiFi mesh. Only in the case of the single router the speed reduces gradually, as you move farther from the router, while in the case of the WiFi mesh the speed reduces abruptly, as you are moving away from the main router, because the access point picks up the signal as you are moving closer to the access point. Also your client devices connect seamlessly.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
2019-09-03 23:49:34 - last edited 2022-03-24 02:12:31

@The-Burro_1. 

If you are looking for a switch to connect to your Deco, you can go for either the TL-SG1008D or the TL-SG108. Those are 8 port switches so after wiring one to the Deco you will have 7 available.

If you use the Deco in Access Point mode it does disable most features, but the mesh network or having just one network you connect to still works. Here is a FAQ about AP Mode: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

You should be able to have the Deco in router mode, while connected to another router.

If the spectrum device you are using is a all in one or is a modem and a router, you can check with the ISP if it is possible to disable the "router" aspect of the device so it is just a modem, and it will pass the internet connect directly to the Deco. I'd say if you notice your speed is not performing up to par, this may be one of the variables to look at.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Spectrum 400 Plus best set up without sacrifice
2019-09-07 07:59:19
I’ve got separate router & modem so was wonder if I should omit the Spectrum free supplied router or remove it all together? What’s the best way to go without eliminating any of the features or the least of Mount of illuminations possible For the M9 plus 3-pack?
WI-Fi Speed Junkie, Destroyer of Dead-Spots & Latency.
Options
Re:Spectrum 400 Plus best set up without sacrifice
2019-09-09 18:04:42

@The-Burro_1. 

If the router is free and you are not paying any montly fee, I would disconnect that and save it as a back up router. Connect one of the Deco units into your modem, while the Deco has booted up, reboot just the internet modem.

Options
2020-06-24 06:13:20 - last edited 2022-03-24 02:12:20
would be the wrong idea to boost up your internet speed, using the router mesh! The router mesh is good for dead spots, but not for the speed. You wouldn’t get 400 mbps on the wireless router mesh unless you connect them with wired Ethernet cable in a daisy chain configuration. Maximum speed out of 400 mbps, you’ll get approximately 220 mbps. The only time you can get up to that speed with Deco M9 plus, if you disconnect the other two access points and just leave the main router that is directly connected to the modem, then connect to the router’s 5 ghz channel. Otherwise you won’t get the full speed, while all three routers are connected. You should have bought the TP-Link Archer AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router, with $100 off promo. In the end, I’ll tell you what, the router mesh is not doing any good, because as the assess points extend their range farther from the main router, the speed drops down to the same speed as if you had a single router. Up closer to the router you’ll have a higher speed and farther from the router lower speed. This theory is evident in the case of both. Single router and router/WiFi mesh. Only in the case of the single router the speed reduces gradually, as you move farther from the router, while in the case of the WiFi mesh the speed reduces abruptly, as you are moving away from the main router, because the access point picks up the signal as you are moving closer to the access point. Also your client devices connect seamlessly.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2154

Replies: 4