deco M5 main device location

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-21 16:20:05
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am trying to set up wifi for a 8-unit building with 4 on each floor. currently I have my main deco sitting at 1 unit on the south end. My question is: will there be significant difference in terms of speed if I choose to place my main deco at a different spot? I know intuitively people would try to place it at center but I want to know if it is actually the case since switching my main deco requires a tech visit to set up a new tv outlet that will cost me money.

Options
2 Reply
Re:deco M5 main device location
2020-01-21 18:34:02

@Kidd 

Your main Deco needs to be connected to the source of internet service, typically a modem but could also be a ONT or a Gateway.  Speeds will be dependent on service, coverage, signal stregnth and backhaul being used.  With Mesh the idea that the main unit must be centerally located isn't as important.  With Deco All units will make a connection with each other and the shortest path for the data to transmit will be chosen by the router.  You said 8 units so I assume that this is a apartment enivorment.  If that is the case i would point out the inherenet security risk that it would create.  Every unit would be on the same wifi and the same network and would be open to each other.  Security wise that is not an ideal situation for tenants or you as the landlord.  

Options
Re:deco M5 main device location
2020-01-21 20:02:28
Hi Carl thanks for the quick response. I agree with you on the security risk of this setup... Any advice on how to best set up the internet for this case?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 938

Replies: 2

Related Articles