Internet not more than 100Mbps over wired ethernet and 5Ghz Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-14 17:22:26
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20190411 rel.65590(4555)

I've had my C7 for a while now and I've always had a 100Mbps fibre line (with a 100 download and 50 upload). The router worked as expected all this time.

I upgraded to a 200Mbps yesterday (200 download and 100 upload) with my service provider, however even though the line is setup as 200/100 by them I'm not getting a 200 download on either my wired connection or my 5Ghz wifi. I am getting 100 Mbps down and a 100 Mbps up.

I've checked the forums and found this solution suggested by Carl.

I've disabled my NAT boost.

I've set my duplex to 1000Mbps full duplex.

I already had a CAT 6 network cable running from my PC to router, but didn't have one running from the router to the modem. I however went out to buy one specifically for this connection between the router and modem and this is also now a CAT 6.

I've been on the phone with my ISP's tech support and tried a few things that he suggested, but ultimately didn't make a difference. He'll be calling me back on Monday after he's talked with his superior to find out if he has another solution (other then moving me onto their MicroTik... which I really don't want to do).

Is their any other reason that the router could be limiting me to 100 Mbps downloads?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Internet not more than 100Mbps over wired ethernet and 5Ghz Wifi
2020-03-14 18:05:08

@Naudran 

This is a long shot but I would also try either turning off QOS or, at least, trying to disable it by choosing "standard" in application priority and making sure that no devices are active in the "Device Priority" tab.  Also make sure that "Traffic Statistics" is turned off.  Good luck . . .

Options
2020-03-14 21:21:29

@gandalf1369 

Thanks.

Unfortunately QOS is already off and so is Traffic Statistics.

Options
2020-03-14 21:28:21
When your speed tier changes, you may need to power cycle the modem. See this from Xfinity as the procedures may be the same for you. Still no joy. Connect your PC direct to the modem bypassing the router and do your speed tests. You should get your advertised speeds. If not... Your ISP may not be giving you your new speed. Your modem may be the limiting factor. Your PC may be limited to 100 Mbps. If you get the 200 Mbps, then put the router back in and test the wired speed. Do not to forget to power cycle things between tests and wait a bit for the units to stabilize.
Options