Deco P9 +P7 connectivity issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-12 16:40:43
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: p9 - 1.0.2 71168 p7 -1.3.1 46693

A while back I bought a 3 pack of P7 for my home in Spain. These were put into access point mode with one in living room connected to main ISP router via ethernet, 1 in basement and 1 on 1st floor - no distance greater than 10 metres between slaves and main deco, and worked fine for a while.

Recently i noticed the unit on the first floor was intermittently dropping signal - swapping units didnt fix the issue, nor did setting up the slave closer to the main deco then moving to a further point away.

I decided to expand range and bought 3x P9s. Reset the entire network with P9 wired to router, P9 in hallway (base of the stairs), and p9 on first floor. P7s are 1 in basement (base of stairs), 1 on 1st floor landing (top of stairs) and 1 on 2nd floor office space (top of stairs).

Unless you are in the living room, connected to the main deco, the connection is very unreliable with constant cut outs. The slave decos intermittently cut out, the only pattern being a drop of internet signal at around midnight each night.

I have tried rotating the decos, with no luck. I have 6 units covering a 280m2 home, so range should not be an issue here. The app does not seem to be able to keep up with the connectivity of the decos, sometimes saying working OK when im standing next to a red flashing unit, other times saying the deco is offline with the indicator green. I can't fesabily move the units any closer to each other either, there aren't enough plugs in the house.

From looking at the forums i can see people with similar issues who have just been getting the same 'restart and move closer' advice. Are these products fit for purpose, or has it been a waste of £400?

Some proper tech help would be appreciated here

Ant

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 +P7 connectivity issues
2020-04-13 21:27:05

@Ant_C1505 

If your main Deco is flashing red then the intenret connection is dropping which explains why no matter how many Decos you have it still drops.

Look at your modem system logs, if you have critical 3 errors, that is what is causing it.

Options
2020-04-14 15:29:51 - last edited 2020-04-14 15:39:14

@Ant_C1505 

I am having the same issue with the P9 system I put in my parent's house. It worked great for a week, but now it seems to need a reset every day. I get internet acccess at the main Deco but when I am connected to the satelites I get no internet connection. My P9s are probably using the powerline as the backbone due to the design of their house but there is so little information about the status of the system in the App that I really have no idea.  I'm disappointed in this P9 system compared to my M5 system that has been flawless for me. the M5 system also has a much more robust App with a lot more information. I was hoping this system would be reliable. I can't have an unreliable system in my parent's house becuase I am not there to reboot their Deco every day.

I'm hoping this can be fixed quickly because this is unacceptable performance.

Options
2020-04-14 18:37:18

@Hubb1e 

Disregarding the 'tech help' above that has not actually addressed the issue - i dont think my post was actually read!

I contacted their phone support and they advised me a few things (not sure if true or not) that aren't made clear in any set up instructions

• signal is weak in vertical lines
  • decos should be placed at extreme sides of the property if possible
  • Often too many units cause signal disruption

I spent another couple of hours in the evening trying to sort, and today - touch wood- there has been no dropping of signal, with reasonable speed and signal on every floor.

I went back to using 1x p9 as the main wired unit, and 1x p7 on each floor, placed as far as is feasible horizontally from the ont on the floor above/below it

Depending on the house layout, i would try something similar, as i've had the most success with the units further apart, rather than closer together.

If that doesnt work - I would return the prouct and invest in the google wifi system which seems to have superior reviews (but check out if it suits your requirements). What I've learnt from TP Link products is that they are very simple to 'set up' but not of high quality- the amount of posts on here i've read through where firmware updates are promised by staff that just dont appear is countless. It seems like the products have potential, but that's it.

Good luck.

Options
2020-04-14 21:47:21

@Ant_C1505 

The house is single story so I can't do multiple levels. The main unit is at one extreme side of the house which makes using wireless backbone less than ideal. It's also a very large home so I have 6 units spread out over a very large distance which is why I was relying on the powerline. I get about 50mbit at each unit when it is working which is the same as when I had separate powerline extenders throughout the house. Those were separate networks which was annoying. This solution is great when it works. It worked great for the first week and now needs reseting on a daily basis so the satelite units maintain internet connectivity. All lights are white on the satelite units and the main unit. I've toggled the setting for fast roaming and that does't seem to do much. I really don't notice any difference either way. Other than that there are not very many options in the App.

I'm very happy with the m5 system I have in my own home so I'm hoping these units are similar. I'm hoping this thread helps them fix their firmware. It's possible I can run a single ethernet line to make one of the far units operate on an ethernet backbone but the reality of today's lockdown make that more of a longer term solution and an expensive one since I would probably get a handyman to do the work for my parents. I'm done crawling around under the subfloor.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1084

Replies: 4