Deco P9 NAS Connectivity Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-28 12:15:51
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200513 Rel 52023

I have my Deco P9 connected to my modem.  There are a couple of other devices connected to my modem also.   One of these is a Synology D212j NAS drive.

When connected to my modem on the network 192.168.1.<x> every device in my house can see and connect to the NAS drive without issues (selection of TVs for streaming via DLNA, and laptops running Windows use it as a shared file server), all connected to it via the Wifi provided by the P9 network.

I don't want my NAS connected to my modem as its ugly in the current location, but connected to one of the "slave" P9s.  When I do connect to any of the P9s (via ethernet, the NAS doesn't support wifi connections), on the network range 192.168.68.<x> no devices can see the NAS at all, but it does show up in the Deco app as connected without issue.

I did have a fixed IP set for the NAS so I've removed that and it now just accepts whatever from the DCHP server.  I have stopped all services that were running on the NAS (such as a VPN server) to reduce any complexity, and removed all port forwarding rules I did have in place (on the modem, not the P9s) but I've had no joy.

Any ideas or suggestions please regarding how I can get the NAS drive to work reliably when connected to a P9 unit.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 NAS Connectivity Issues
2020-06-30 20:27:02

@MattL 

The easiest thing would be to switch the P9 to Access Point mode so everything will be on the 192.168.1.x subnet. 

If you want to keep the P9 in router mode, you could try port forwarding (in the Deco app) the ports the NAS uses, and reference that. So if the NAS uses 8080 for the HTTP port and has an IP of 1.150 from the router put in the browser: 192.168.1.150:8080

Options
2020-07-04 13:58:28

@Tony 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.  I should have put in my original post that I've ruled out the access mode fix as I want the other features such as parental controls that router mode offers me.  I've had a play with port forwarding but I can't get any joy.  The NAS to connect to its interface uses port 5001 as a default, but I can't hit that, and no devices on the network can see NAS drive for file shares and/or DLNA shares to stream from.

I must admit, I'm at a loss.  Either there's a limitation with the P9 system, or I'm missing a key piece of information in my setup/config.

Options
2020-07-06 17:58:28

@MattL 

Have you tested the P9 in AP Mode? If that still does not work then there is another variable.

Your Synology uses way more ports than the one you specified: https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Network/What_network_ports_are_used_by_Synology_services

I would contact the manufacturer and tell them how you plan to use the unit so they can tell you what ports need to be forwarded.

Options
2020-08-13 02:36:34

@MattL as I understand it the first configured P9 is the router and every other P9 is an AP.  The ethernet port on an AP should only "see" the local 192.168.68.x network.  I had a Roku wired into a P9 AP without problems.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1344

Replies: 4

Related Articles