Archer C7 Orange internet light, but internet connection is ok with other router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 Orange internet light, but internet connection is ok with other router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-06 14:51:20 - last edited 2020-11-06 14:53:56
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.15

I have been using the Archer C7 as my prime router in a stacked router setup.

My internet connection is provided by a Huawei 4G modem/router. On the LAN side this router has no DHCP and a fixed Ip address.

The TP-Link Archer C7 has its WAN port connected to one LAN port of the Huawei router/modem. On the WAN side the C7 has a fixed ip address in the same subnet as the LAN side of the Huawei.

The C7 provides LAN / internet access to all my clients (DHCP, different network segment as the WAN side), either via wifi (2.4GHz and 5GHz). This has worked for some months.

Except for one thing: On some clients after some months I did have a LAN connection, but no internet access anymore. Of course I checked all settings at these clients. All seemed to be ok on that side.

Until I thought of checking the firmware of the C7 this week. Appeared there was a new firmware, installed it and suddenly I had working internet access on all clients again.....

Apart from this, on the C7 nothing touched since I got it installed and working.

Until TODAY:

Today my internet connection via the C7 suddenly dropped, and I started to lose the 5GHz Wifi network provided by the C7 (2.4GHz was up).

When I checked the C7, it had the orange internet light. Seems simple, so I checked the Huawei modem/router.

The Huawei showed no service interruption.

A direct the internet connection from a client directly via the Huawei router works, both via WiFi (directly) as well as via a Xiaomi router when I configured that similar to the C7 and replaced the C7 with it.

So for now I replaced the C7 with the Xiaomi. At least I have a working internet connection......  

Having the C7 out of my infrastructure, I reconfigured it to verify its functionality once more by connecting it with its WAN port to one of the LAN ports of the Xiaomi.

Now the 2 wifi networks popped up (during the connection trouble the 5GHz one was gone!)

Again: Orange internet light.  Whereas I know the internet connection up to the Xiaomi is just fine.....

Did my C7 just die?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C7 Orange internet light, but internet connection is ok with other router
2020-11-06 21:03:35
Maybe. When you connect it to the gateway be sure it shows that you have a WAN IP address. If not see the post that is in the first five or with a subject of the IP being zero. If using the same Ethernet cable, try a different one. Then I would try a factory reset if you have not done so.
Options
Re:Archer C7 Orange internet light, but internet connection is ok with other router
2020-11-09 16:06:08

@Joost1967 

I would factory reset it by holding the rest for 15 seconds, and run it like a typical router to see if that even works. 

Also, the WAN port may be bad, if so, configure the LAN IP of the C7 with the same subnet as the main router. Just like you did on the WAN but for the LAN, then connect the cable from the main router to the LAN of the C7, do all other settings like disabling the DHCP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1384

Replies: 2