Deco P9 5G band connections drop (Suspect incompatibility with Google Fi)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-10 15:47:08
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20200918 Rel. 74476

I've had my Deco P9 (3 units) mesh system for about 8 months now and until recently it has worked flawlessly. However about 10 days ago we started to notice devices on wifi would just lose connection and it would take a minute or so for the connection to be restored. I tried all of the typical things like restarting each unit, disconnnecting and reconnecting to wifi, I even unplugged the two sattelite units for about half a day to rule out a bad sattelite unit. Finally I designated a new main unit but that didn't fix the issue either. I played around with settings in the app to no avail until I disabled the 5G band, after that things seemed to work fine. I left 5G disabled for a couple of days but when I re-enabled it last night the same issue started to happen.

Here is the fly in the ointment (I think) around the time this started to happen I switched cell phone carriers and went with Google Fi. Last night when I re-enabled the 5G band on the P9's and started losing connection again I decided to try disabling wifi on all cell phones in my house. After I did this the issue stopped again. Now I only spent about 3 min testing this before I got tired and went to bed so it could just be a fluke but it seems like Google Fi and TP-Link may not play nice together. I realize this sounds like a conspiracy theory but it's difficult to ignore the results.

Anyway, has anyone experienced something similar? I've seen a few Wifi dropping threads on here but I've tried the suggested fixes in those and had no luck. At this point I'm open to any possibility though.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco P9 5G band connections drop (Suspect incompatibility with Google Fi)
2020-11-11 18:05:21

@StretchNate 

Just like how you isolated the 2.4G, what happened when you made the 5G only available?

One thing to note the 5G doesn't have the reach of the 2.4G.

You mention issues with the cell phones, do you have other wireless devices and see the same thing?

Options
Re:Deco P9 5G band connections drop (Suspect incompatibility with Google Fi)
2020-11-11 22:20:37 - last edited 2020-11-11 22:21:21

@Tony when I isolated the 5G I continued to notice buffering connections drop.

I realize the 5G doesn't have the reach the 2.4G does but I was inside my house and well within range of any of the P9 units.

I may have been unclear on which devices had issues, any device connected to wifi was dropping (devices connected via ethernet were fine), the reason I mentioned cell phones is because it seemed to resolve the issue (for all devices) when I turned off wifi on the cell phones only, or when I turned off the 5G band on the Deco system.

Furthermore I noticed the issue again last night after re-enabling the 5G band. As I was browsing amazon on my phone, it was very slow. I have sufficient internet speeds (200G) from my ISP and don't have a exhorbant amount of devices streaming or sucking bandwidth; and I have ruled ISP speed out as a potential issue by running various speed tests. Ultimately I let my battery die on my cell phone, left it powered down for about 20 minutes and streamed hulu on my tv, I had no issues streaming while my cell phone was off. Happily once I turned my cell phone back on the streaming continued without issues and I was able to browse various sites/apps on my cell phone without issue. I'm hoping this means the issue is resolved however, I'll continue to monitor and see if it resurfaces.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 374

Replies: 2

Related Articles