Looking for some suggestions on 1gbps coverage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-18 01:08:04 - last edited 2021-10-18 01:26:29
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just moved to a new 3-bedroom apartment that is quite long and narrow. I have a 1GB package with Optimum Online.

My wife and I are using 2 of the 3 rooms as work-from-home offices, each has a computer. Ideally, we'd like them both to be getting as close as possible to 1GB down. What I am doing now is running two ethernet cables from the living room (where the Optimum modem/router is) into these two rooms. They're just on the floor at the moment. It works fine, in the sense that we're both getting ~1GB down, but tidying up the cables and running them correctly along walls and across doors is going to be a lot of work.

My question is, I'm looking at the Deco M5 as a possible solution to having to run cables. Is it conceivable for the M5 to provide a 1GB connection to two machines wirelessly?

I noticed in the specs that over WiFi, 500mbps is supported per router so I think the short answer is no. With ethernet they're capable of 1gb. What I was wondering is, is it at all possible to create a 1GB network using M5 routers without having to run cables between routers?

Would this work?

1. Plug the first M5 into the Optimum modem/router

2. Put the second M5 into room #1 as a wireless router but plug that into computer #1 with an ethernet cable

3. Put the third M5 into room #2 as a wireless router but plug that into computer #2 with an ethernet cable

Or would all of the M5 routers need to be chained together with ethernet cables for this to work at max speed?

Any other ideas about how I could do this, or am I asking for too much? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Looking for some suggestions on 1gbps coverage
2021-10-20 11:53:52

@jtrory 

Hi, it would work, but the wireless connection will always reduce the speed to a certain extent even for the Mesh network.

It would be recommended to chain all Deco units with Ethernet cables to get the max speed.

So if the whole idea is to get rid of cables, Deco might not be a suitable product.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 272

Replies: 1

Related Articles