Deco W6000 and Deco App questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-23 23:10:35

I didn't find my model in the drop down list, but it's the Deco W6000 v1.2 (2 pack), Firmware 1.0.2 Build 20210421 Rel. 65964.

I have 800Mbps internet service and currently 15 connected devices, all of them wireless except for my desktop PC with Gigabit LAN wired directly to the Main Deco unit, using a 5ft Cat8 ethernet cable.

My Samsung Galaxy S10e is the only WiFi6 device I have right now and when I speed test with it, it can easily reach my maximum download speeds (810-840Mbps).

I've always found ethernet to be faster and more stable than wireless, so I like to have my PC wired because I use it for gaming and downloading/uploading large files. It has an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, Radeon RX 580, and gigabit LAN, so there shouldn't be any hardware related bottlenecks. However in this case, I can't seem to max out my download speeds using the Deco's gigabit ethernet ports. My PC averages around 640-680 Mbps using the same speed test.

Is this normal, or by design?

I updated the network card driver, tried different advanced settings in Windows device manager, and also used Speedguide Optimizer tool, but no real change.

---

Regarding the Deco App, there seems to be a bug when I open HomeShield and run the Scan. It always shows that I have 1 risk under Network Security, that there is a new Firmware available, but when I click to to Update, it just says I'm up to date.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco W6000 and Deco App questions
2021-10-25 07:56:49

@Wil235 

Hi, there will be a new firmware released to fix the firmware version notice issue after scanning.

Please keep attention to the official website.

As for the speed, if only this desktop is connected to Deco, will the speed get a little better?

And have you tried to put the desktop under the QoS>high priority devices?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-03 22:39:04

@TP-Link 

Sorry for the late response.

Yes, the PC was the only device connected with ethernet, and I also tried QoS with 1000 Down/Up. That was not the problem.

I found out there was a setting called Energy Efficient Ethernet when I logged in to my cable modem's setup page.

After I Disabled this, my ethernet connection reached maximum throughput. yes

The Deco units seem to be working well now, but still issues with the App.

When I turn off the Mesh option for some devices to keep them connected to the current (closest) Deco, they still roam and connect to the the other Deco unit. These devices are PCs, TVs, smart plugs, and cameras that do not move, so I find this odd. I leave the Mesh option on for my mobile devices.

Also, I wish there was a way to manually assign which band a device connects to. For example, my living room PC has an 802.11ac wifi adapter and only 7 feet away from the main Deco. Sometimes it connects to the faster 5GHz band, but other times drops to the the slower 2.4GHz, even when there's an excellent signal.

Options
2021-11-04 03:14:55

@Wil235 

Hi, for the roaming issue on the clients, it is suggested to have a look at this link:

Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

It is more likely these devices did not support mesh protocol.

Luckily, it is allowed to choose the linked Deco on the firmware 1.6.x.

But there has been no plan yet to allow manual selection of specific wireless bands.

There is a workaround if you are interested, turn off the 2.4ghz on the main network and enable the guest network for 2.4ghz only with a different SSID.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 815

Replies: 3

Related Articles