AC4000 2.4 GHz Low Bandwidth Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-29 13:08:42
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.03 20191026 rel.16299 (5553)

Hi, I just set up my TP-link AC4000, a.k.a Archer A20, and it's working fantastic, save one thing, the 2.4GHz band. I'm only getting up to 40 Mbps down and our bandwidth is rated at 200 Mbps down and we get 230 Mbps down. It's in 'router mode' too. When I was using our Spectrum router, I'd get the same speed 230 Mbps as I would on the 5G band. I just want to know what's bogging it down.

I have both IPv4 & IPv6 enabled. I haven't changed default settings, save for stuff like SSID names and passwords of course. The only other things I've changed, the security protocols are all enabled. I also changed IPv6 LAN type to DHCPv6 rather than the default SLAAC+Statless DHCP. Should I change it back to SLAAC+Stateless DHCP or is my DHCPv6 just fine? What I'm looking for most, in this speed, reliability, range & security.

I don't know why my IPv4 is so slow. I've tried my phones to my PC using WiFi mode. Could it be the security protocols enabled is too much? That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it could be a little, but cutting down 3/4's of the speed out... I don't think so. Anyway, if anyone could help me fix that, it would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance,
                                       Sithtiger

Options
2 Reply
Re:AC4000 2.4 GHz Low Bandwidth Issue
2022-01-13 11:53:34

@Sithtiger 

Hello, do you mean only the 2.4GHz connection is slow? If that is the case, it's quite possible that the 2.4GHz band around you is highly congested. You can check that by installing an app like Wi-Fi Analyzer on your phone or laptop and test, then set a channel with less congestion according to the test results on the A20.

Check this troubleshooting article for more suggestions:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2170/

BTW, what is the wireless link speed when you connect to the 2.4GHz network? If it is a Windows laptop, you can follow the below guide to find it out:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:AC4000 2.4 GHz Low Bandwidth Issue
2022-01-13 16:56:53

@Sithtiger 

I've got V1 A20 and Spectrum, 400/20Mbps service. ZERO problem with speed, 480 or so down (Spectrum usually overprovisions the speed by 20%).

I assume you do have the latest firmware.

One question, did you run the router speed test?

TP-Link

Also, on the HOMECARE QoS tab, did you set the speed?

TP-Link

2.4 Ghz bands support a lot of devices, and will slolw down to the lowest device running.,

Can you test the 5Ghz band with the same device that connects to 2.4Ghz? Most phones will do that?

Have you recycled the modem and router, especially after connecting the Modem to the PC? That is both off, then modem on, and once the World/Internet icon comes on, then turn on the router, let it come up, and then test?

Since you did say the 5Ghz band is working fine, I'll assume the Speed test on the Router was done and it is correct, You did not mention the QoS setting though, hence my suggestion above, but I'd think if that was wrong, 5Ghz would have the same problem. So that is why I think it could be a specific device holding the speed down. You could try only one device at a time to see if any reach full speed.

Some devices can have a problem with the Security when it is set to Auto, I had to set mine to work correctly:

TP-Link

Doing this might help. As would changing the Channel in case of congestion as Kevin suggested.

I use Acrylic WiFI Home to see the surrounding SSID channels used.

TP-Link

As you can see, I do have others around me, but all are low power compared to my SSID. Note that IF I did have a problem, I'd swtch to Channel 4,

Options