5ghz connection weak/unable to connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-21 05:21:48
Model: Archer T4E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I just installed a TP-Link Archer T4E wireless adapter on a new PC build, but it is randomly dropping the connection to the 5GHz band.

The 2.4ghz connection works perfectly fine. Although I experience some spikes in ping sometimes, but is expected in a 2.4ghz bandwidth.

When I got it, the 5ghz connection was at 1 bar. Earlier, when I booted my pc up, the 5ghz connection was at 3 bars. Now, it is at 1 bar again.

This is super frustrating as I really need a 5ghz connection. 

I'm currently connected to a TP-Link AC1750 extender. My main router is about 30 feet away from me in another room. My brother is connected to the extender and he can connect to the 5ghz connection with no trouble. Full bar, fast, and stable. I don't see why the Archer T4E can't do this as it is advertised it can connect to 5ghz connections. My extender is right next to my pc. I really need this 5ghz connection as I play online competitive games and need a fast, stable, reliable internet connection, which I have, but the Archer T4E just won't budge.

I'm at my wits end, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, using the TP Link drivers, resetting router, and nothing seems to work. In any case. 

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:5ghz connection weak/unable to connect
2022-04-24 05:56:38 - last edited 2022-04-24 05:59:36

Hello   @Juu1 

2.4Ghz has further wifi range than 5Ghz due to its frequency.

From your description,  it is possible that extender WiFi signal does not work on the Channels that supported by the wifi adapter, so T4E adapter still connected to router WiFi which is a weak 5G signal . 

It is recommended to change router & extender's 5Ghz Wi-Fi channel to 36/40/44/48

And use Wifi scan app like Wi-Fi analyzer to scan the wifi channel and see if extender & router works on those channels

You may use a different SSID on the extender and see if T4E is connected to 5Ghz wifi of the extender? 

Options
2022-04-25 04:05:31

@Solla-topee Thanks for the reply and information. How do I change my wifi channel? Thank you!

Options
2022-04-25 04:06:34

@Solla-topee How do I get all these features? Through the tether app?

Options
2022-04-27 10:58:49

Hello @Juu1 

You may reach router support to learn how to change wifi channel settings. If you use tplink router, here is an FAQ

Changing Channel and Channel Width on a TP-Link Router (new logo)

Options
2022-04-27 11:02:26

@Solla-topee  Hello I cannot access tplinkwifi.net and i also tried the ips still didn't work. I tried clearing cache and cookies and tried different browsers. Thanks for the reply!

Options
2022-05-09 09:42:17 - last edited 2022-05-09 09:48:32

Hello   @Juu1 

sorry for the late reply, glad to hear that you have tried some tips to login wifi router. 

Can I know is your router also from TP-Link, if so you could check  IPv4 default gateway on the PC/ laptop, the IPv4 gateway is router's IP  and you could use this IP to access router web page.  How to find IP address on your devices?

If you has a tp-link router, you could also reach local customer service via hotline or chat to get some instant help. 

After change the channel of router, you will need to factory reset and reinstall the RE and range extender will follow router's 5Ghz wifi channel. 

Configuration GuideTP-Link Range Extender Setup (Range Extender Mode)

Feel free to let us know how it goes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 651

Replies: 6